Safety? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Safety? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Nicholls
Username: Jsanicholls

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry to be a pain but can you please tell how safe travelling around argentina is for two 19 year old english girls who have not really been away on their own before?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 510
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You should have no problems as long as you follow basic common sense rules (not talking to strangers in the street, etc)...

Having said that, Buenos Aires is where you should be more careful. Not because you are foreigners but because crime has become more prevalent in the city in the last 3 or 4 years, affecting just about everyone. Petty crimes (cabs overcharging) or little incidents can happen but not to a point to make travelling unsafe. None of our clients ever had any problems, but we never had 2 young girls as customers either... When going out double check with the people at your place of stay. In general, people are friendly and helpful.

Tom Woodson
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

At the airport get a taxi from one of the stands in the terminal.

When using a taxi, always call for one from your hotel or hostel. They have regular taxi's they call and they do not want their guests to be robbed. Two taxi compainies I have used successfully in Buenos Aires are RadioTaxi Pampa 4683-3005 RadioTaxi Plus 4863 1000. I have one particular taxi I use in the evenings, Roberto Clemente speaks English 4260 2565, tell him Tom from the USA said hello. He will not overcharge you even if you do not mention my name. Taxi's have meters, make sure the driver turns his on when you get in. Most restaurants or businesses will call the taxi for you, but use one of the one's I have told you or one recommended by someone else you trust.

The main source of travel in the coutry is by bus. Chose the more expensive ones. For example, instead of Chevilliar take Nandu Del Sur or Condor Estrella. The cost will be 5 to 10 pesos more depending on where you are going but it is worth the difference. These buses are nicer, more comfortable and safer.

The people tend to be very friendly and go out of their way to help you. It is a Catholic country so when traveling dress a bit conservatively but when partying, show it off just like you would at home, the Argentinean girls sure do. Make sure you have a joint plan to get back to your hotel at a certain time and do not drink excessively, its bad for the liver and not safe for girls in a strange place whether it is NYC, Orlando or Buenos Aires.

I am well out of the 19 year old party places but Kilkinney's Pub
is good and the bars around Recoleta. If you are not into bars, good, don't let me persuade you. Possibly the safest place in the world is Puerto Madero. It is policed by the Argentine Coast Guard, they are everywere. The restaurants are excellent except for that little American wannabe sports bar, can't remember the name, it is the pits. Well, we had a bad experience there so maybe they were just having an off day.

The evening meal is usally 9pm or later.

Hide your money, don't keep it all in one place, don't flash it when you are buying stuff. Don't walk the streets at night unless it is Florida or Lavalle or where there are lots of people. The police have a little flag button on their shirts, if you see the Union Jack, the flag of Great Brittin, it means he speaks English.

The crooks tend to be polite, they will rob you and then give you taxi money. Try not to go where you might get robbed.

Stay together, do not wear jewelry while traveling, even your watches if they look expensive,

I would much rather have my daughter traveling in Argentina than in any other country in South America but you are smart to travel in pairs.

Good luck and may God bless you.

Tom Woodson
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

One more thing
Argentina has more holidays than anywhere I have been.
They have two Independence days. They are really happy to be free.
Make reservations ahead of time to insure you have a room.

When in Buenos Aires I stay at Hotel Monumental on Junin Street just a few steps from Corrientes. The owner is an American named Gary Hillert, a friend of mine. It is a nice hotel, a Best Western. For reservations info@hotelmonumental.com

sylvia
Username: Sylvia

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I will be travelling to BA in the next few months with my Son aged 13. We have lived in the Dominican Republic for over 4 years and I am sure living here has been a good foundation for our travels.
Here too we do not wear jewelry, keep cell phones out of view and take good care of security.. we have learnt a lot !

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration