Argentina in August - What's in? What... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Argentina in August - What's in? What's out? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mona Manuel
Username: Mona_manuel

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto,

A three-week trip to Argentina that was to have taken place in May/June has now been cut to a two-week trip, pushed off until late July/August.

I understand that July/August is a good time to visit the north, around Salta &co as well as Buenos Aires, and I eagerly look forward to visiting those areas.

I contacted some jungle lodges in Misiones and it turns out they'll all be closed on account of it being the rainy season there.

I also understand that this is high season for skiing in Patagonia, around Bariloche or San Martin de los Andes.
So here's my first question or two: do prices tend to rise at this time around Bariloche/San Martin? Is it still possible to visit this area on an affordable budget in August?

Also, I think I read that some hotels and restaurants tend to shut down in August around El Chalten and El Calafate on account of it being low season. Is this true?

Basically, I am looking for regions I can guiltlessly cut from the very long list of areas I'd like to visit in Argentina!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 391
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Mona, here are some thoughts...

* Prices for most services are set before the start of each season. They are always higher during peaks, but it is not that providers mark up at their will. They determine their new cost structure and set a new retail price scheme in relation to potential demand. Briefly, yes, prices are higher during the winter quarter in the Patagonia region.

* Affordability may be the least of your problems. There are many economical rooms in the area but very likely they will go fast, taken both by students and/or brazilian visitors.

* El Chalten might see some slow down and a few things may close here and there but as far as we know both Ushuaia and El Calafate offer services all year round. This happened in the past, but not anymore.

In general, answers to your questions require that you formulate a more specific plan. If you could determine specifically travel dates and destinations a good agent might be able to do an industry search and find what you want at the price you want.

By the way, there may be parts of Misiones that get more rain during July/August but the Iguazu area doesn't get any more rain than it usually gets...

(Message edited by admin on April 13, 2006)

Mona Manuel

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the input, Roberto. Wow. If almost everything is up and running, I'll have to make some very tough decisions about what to cut from my itinerary on my own!

You are certainly an invaluable resource of information. And from the messages on this board, your mother, Erna, sounds priceless, as well.

I'd love to contact her once my husband and I get our acts together and figure out our travel dates.

Mona

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 392
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mona, although the Iguazu falls are indeed spectacular I would personally devote more time to El Calafate and the whole Bariloche/ San Martin de los Andes area. It is just a dream. But that is me.

If you ever need help with your trip, you can reach Erna at erna@travelsur.net or in Buenos Aires by calling 4322-8147. Good luck.

Mona Manuel

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto, it is finally such a relief to hear someone "in the know" say that the Iguazu Falls aren't the be-all and end-all of Argentina. Personally, I could give them a pass, but many of the Argentina "experts" on some other travel forums that I have been visiting have said that if you see nothing else in Argentina, see the falls!

To me, it is silly to go so out of the way and spend the money and time on a flight to Iguazu just to spend 1 or 2 nights (which is the most that people seem to recommend spending at Iguazu).

Well, phew! Thanks for sharing that, Roberto. I wonder if others on this forum feel the same way.

Mona

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration