Iguazu in 1 day? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Iguazu in 1 day? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Carlos Gelbart
Username: Buellwinkle

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

We want to know if its good enough to visit Iguazu Falls if we spend one night. Checking flights from BA to Iguazu, we would get in at 12:40PM and then leave the next day at 4:00PM, catch a taxi from AEP airport to EZE and fly home to the U.S. at 9:30PM.

What I would like to accomplish is to take the boat ride into the falls and take the hiking trails around the falls to the Devils Throat. We would be going towards the end of March. We have no intentions of going into Brazil, just the Argentina side.

I heard that the boat ride is just 10-15 minutes. Do you need a reservation or do you just go and there's always room or is there a wait? My guess is that we would do that in the afternoon when we get there.

How long does it take to walk the trails around the falls? I figure we can get an early start, maybe 9 AM after breakfast and we would probably have 4-5 hours to walk. What can we cover in that time?

What hours are the park open in March? If we have luggage on the second day, what's a good safe place to leave it so we are not carrying it with us? If we are just walking the trails, is carrying a wheeled carry-on bag too much?

What's a good hotel in the area?

I know this sounds rushed, but there's so much to see in Argentina and we only have 9 days. We don't want to spend extra time in Iguazu if it's not 100% worth the second night.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1959
Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Carlos, this is just some rough information as we just do bookings. The boat tour happens in the afternoon, after the main 3 levels of the falls have been visited. I wouldn't know how the boat guys treat the "walk-ins" as opposed to the booking-crowd. Also, most boat tours are booked in advance so there may be the risk of waiting or not getting in.

Park opens at 8am and most visitors arrive after 9 am as bus tours start picking up tourist at around 8am. The main courses are over 1km long each and at least 2 of these have plenty of stairs and ups and down. Stopping for photos and the like you may need 2 hours on each. They all get started at the same point, where the small train will take you. So that you have an idea, the last train departing (to bring you back) leaves at 4.30pm.

Most people who have asked us for an overnight trip have done this with a private driver and in a bit of a rush as the incoming planes arrive after the excursions are already on their way.

You should try to get an hotel either in the Park or close to it and I am almost certain the hotels will let you leave your luggage at their place and at no charge. Even if there is a luggage storage place I do no think there may be enough space for all luggages a family carries. Definitely not at the airport, but my information may not be up to date. Try emailing directly the Park at iguazu@apn.gov.ar and if you get any useful information it will be great to have it here on this forum.

(Message edited by admin on February 04, 2010)

Carlos Gelbart

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto,

Thank you very much for the info. I changed the dates so I have a better choice of flights. If take the flight that arrives at 11:15am, will that give me plenty of time to take the boat tour and how do I make reservation in advance for the tour? Do they have a website?

On the next day, if I take 6:00pm flight, does that give me enough time to tour the majority of the waterfall hiking trails or should I consider the 10:10pm flight.

Flight choices on Aerolinias Argentinas
Going to Iguazu
Leave Arrive
6:30am 8:20am
9:30am 11:15am

Going back to Buenos Aires
Leave Arrive
4:00pm 5:50pm
6:00pm 7:50pm
10:10pm 11:59pm

Bruno
Username: Bbr

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We flew from Aeroparque to Iguaz˙ with an morning flight and checked thereafter into the Sheraton Hotel which is situated in the parque. The main advantage for us was that we only paid the fee to enter the Parque Nacional Iguaz˙ once. In the afternoon we had an organised bus trip to see the Brazilian side of the Cataratas. In the late afternoon we returned to the hotel and were still able to spend some time around the hotel.

Next morning we were able to start our walks around the park prior all the buses with the tourists arrived. It might be possible to do some walks within one day, but I really would find it a pity "rushing" through this park. One afternoon we took a guide and we walked together several of the path and we were shown not only the various views of the cataratas, we were also given information on many animals living there. Whilst most of the tourists were running from one spot to the other, we saw birds, monkeys, reptiles, etc.

As a minimum I would recommend to stay 48 hs.

Iguaz˙ I

Iguaz˙ II

Iguaz˙ IV

Iguaz˙ V

Iguaz˙ VI

Iguaz˙ I

Iguaz˙ VII

Iguaz˙ VIII

Carlos Gelbart

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Great pictures. I know it's rushing it but there's so much to see in all of Argentina and we only have 10 days to do it in. Last time I was there was 45 years ago, may not make it another 45 years :-)

We arrive in Iguazu at 11:15AM, staying at the Sheraton per your recomendation and leave the next day at 6:00PM.

Where do I go to make a reservation online for the boat ride into the waterfall? Or should I write to the Sheraton conceirge and have them reserve it for us?

Avril Thomas
Username: Avril

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Traveling to Mar Del Playa on August 5, 2010. What is the weather like? How should we dress?

Our first time to Argentina, we plan to travel to the falls for 2 days before going to Mar Del Playa (in Mar Del Playa for 1 week on a timeshare) and 2 days in Buenos Aries after trip.

What are my travel options between the falls from Buenos Aries and Mar Del Playa? We want to experience as much of Argentina as we can.

There is so much to learn and see. Any recommendations?

We are avid golfers, where is the best place to golf? Food?

Thanks

Carlos Gelbart

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

They had a storm in Iguazu that closed the airport and crippled the Sheraton (no A/C, no TV, lots of rain). That killed most of our first day but we were able to get the to see the upper trail that afternoon, somewhat boring of a trail as you mostly see the rivers leading into the falls and very little of the falls themselves.

The next day was sunny, about 24C and we had to catch a cab at 4:30pm, but we had plenty of time to cover the lower trail, take the boat ride into the waterfall (very good), take the train to Devils Throat (best fall, don't miss this) and take the water tour (slow boat, boring) and still had 2 hours to catch the buffet lunch at the Sheraton and get a ride back to the airport.

Stay at the Sheraton if time is short as you can start the tour before the herds come in. We had the park to ourselves until about 11AM, then it got so crowded, it was like Disneyland in July.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration