Exploring argentina Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Exploring argentina « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

james
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

hi,

im planning on flying to argentina in a few weeks and and i want too explore most of the country including BA, iguazu, and the patagonia region. My question is that i would prefer to play my destination by ear since i want to be in country for a month. is purchasing flights much more expensive on a days notice or do i really need to book in advance. i really hate to have a planned trip. at this point all i know is i will be arriving in BA and plan to have a blast by myself.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 312
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

James, I am like you. I'd rather travel light with just a map and a parachute. Some destinations may not be a problem, such as Iguazu, for there are numerous flights on a daily basis. If you travel alone it is very likely that you will find spaces available. Other destinations may pose problems. Take Calafate, there are less flights available and as much demand for the destination so it might be wise to check in advance.

I don't see any price advantages on booking in advance or purchasing on the spot. The only problems I see is availability of seats for some destinations.

daniel
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,
Am coming to Argentina for a couple of weeks next Summer (December) and can't decide where to go beside Buenos Aires. Would you recommend going North or South?
If we go North, I've heard good things about Mendoza, Cordoba, and Salta area - am I missing anywhere? would we have time for all three? (I've heard driving around the Salta/Jujuy area is nice but obviously would take more time). I've also heard good things about Colonia in Uruguay. I'm not particularly interested in the waterfall. I've been to Niagra Falls and while I'm sure Iguazu is magnificant, I'm not into flying a couple of hours just to see it.

The South. If we go to Patagonia, what areas do you recommend? I know everyone says that Patagonia is beautiful, but I've been a little unsure about it because it seems so hard to travel around Patagonia and we don't have much time. The places easier to get to - Calafate for instance sound extremely touristy.
What about Bariloche and the Lakes area in general? I've heard mixed things. Some say Bariloche is over-developed and over-touristy, others say amazingly beautiful. Is going to perhaps San Martin or Angostura better or would you recommend going to Bariloche?
What about Ushuaia? do you highly recommend it?

Sorry this was sort of rambling. I obviously haven't been able to narrow my choices very much. Any advise would be appreciated.

F. Harrington
Username: Tarheel

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Daniel: You must remember that Argentina is a large country. Depends on what you like to do. Do you like cities, countryside, mountains, nature?
I think the Sierra around Cordoba is nice, Salta is nice but arid, large country up there. BA is good for night life. You should have two weeks at least to do things in both north and south and that would not be sufficient. Whatever you decide to do, you will find it affordable, rewarding, meet nice people, and it will be as good as you make it. Food is cheap, wine is good and not expensive. Experiment! Good traveling.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 316
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

daniel, what FH said. He is right one the money.

Whatever you decide I am positive you will be happy with the outcome. A few notes. Most domestic destinations have become somewhat turisty now a days. After 3 or 4 years of a tourist boom this is unavoidable. Still, places like Bariloche are beautiful indeed.

Cordoba may be a less 'explored' destination by foreigners and it is also very nice. Lots of history and a good place to understand our roots. The northwest region (Salta, Jujuy and Tucuman) is also attractive but less populated and arid. Mendoza is actually to the west and it too has become somewhat popular, both for locals as well as foreigners. Mendoza is possibly the prettiest city within Argentina and offers a lot of attractions. Deep patagonia -like the north- is also underpopulated but has a lot more visitors from abroad. Smaller places like Villa la Angostura are really pretty too, but you might also find a good deal of visitors or even foreigner who have established a second/vacation home here. Last I heard Villa la Angostura was quickly becoming a very expensive place where european elite had chosen to settle.

In the end, it will all depend on what kind of experiences you want to get out of the trip as was mentioned before.

daniel
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the advise. I appreciate it.

Colleen Trainor
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,
I'd like to travel to the San Carlos de Bariloche area in mid May from Buenos Aires. What is the best way of traveling to and from and how cold will it be at this time of year?
Also, How would I travel from Buenos Aires to Colonial del Sacramento or Montevideo? How long would this take?
Thank You!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 343
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Colleen, Bariloche's temperatures in mid May will be in the range of 40/42F with a low recorded at 35. But remember, Bariloche has very sunny days -over 300 days a year-. The best way to get there is without a doubt by plane. You can travel to Colonia by ferry -twice a day- and it takes about 45 minutes. Traveling to Montevideo takes about 3 1/2 hours with daily departures.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration