Argentina on a round the world tour Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Argentina on a round the world tour « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

lucy shez
Username: Gingerninjasworldtour

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have been reading the forums which have been very helpful but I am still struggling a bit with deciding the details for my trip.

Myself and my friend are travelling to Argentina on the first stop of our round the world trip in 2010. We are in S.America for one month in total but will be spending some of that time in Chile. As we are on a round the world trip we are on a tight budget.

We were hoping to spend a week in BA before heading as far South as we realistically can (with time and money constraints). We are thinking of flying down to El Calafate before working back up the country by bus (hopefully seeing Perito Moreno, El Chaten, Bariloche and Mendoza before crossing into Santiago).

Is this possible? Are there any areas which we sould miss out as they are very expensive or not worth visiting?

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1944
Posted on Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lucy, welcome! If I understood correctly your plan is for 30 days total for SA. One week in BA plus time Chile will leave you with about 2 weeks. I'd say it is completely doable, specially since you are considering flying into Calafate. The main logistical issue here is how to get out of Calafate by bus. I am not up to date with all the options but last I checked this meant traveling all the way east to Rio Gallegos. But there has to be an alternative for sure, even if it means that buses only depart certain days of the week. I will make sure you plan this thoroughly or you may end up stuck somewhere for a few days. If I were you I would contact the office of Tourism for the Province and ask them about the best way of getting from El Calafate to Bariloche by bus.

http://santacruzpatagonia.gob.ar/

Also, Calafate may not be cheap. I would explore camping. Weather might be just fine and there are quite a few camping spots.

lucy shez

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you so much for your speedy reply Roberto :-)

I have done quite a bit of research into the buses and I think we should be able to take a bus to El Chaten from El Calafate (3 1/2 hours) and then a 30 hour journey from here to Bariloche. Its a long journey I know but we are both used to that sort of travelling (and hopefully there will be lots to see). Should we look at booking buses before we arrive in Argentina? We were planning on leaving it until we arrive but I know its the busy season when we shall get there.

The only problem with camping would be the tent, would we be able to buy a tent cheaply in BA or maybe even El Calafate?

Thank you
Lucy

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1947
Posted on Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

This site shows tents starting at around usd $150. I bet there are cheaper ones at other stores. This is in Buenos Aires. I do not know what to say about the bus from El Chalten to Bariloche. That looks like a local line so you may have to purchase tickets as soon as you arrive. Is there a website? From Bariloche to Mendoza I do not think you need to buy in advance. I am guessing here.

lucy shez

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 5:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto,

I've made a break through on the El Calafate to Bariloche journey. Have you ever heard of chalten travel turismo? They offer a trip along route 40 from El calafate to Bariloche with a stop-over in Perito Moreno which is perfect .

For anyone else who is interested the website is http://www.chaltentravel.com/recorrido_ruta_40.asp .

Thank you for all your help and advice, you must spend so much time replying to everyone.

We can't wait for our trip

(Message edited by admin on November 06, 2009)

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1948
Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Excellent Lucy! Thank you for sharing.

I hear route 40 offers some of the most stunning, scenic views. From south to north crosses over 11 provinces and 20 national parks all the way to La Quiaca! You can always post pictures of your trip once it's over and if you feel like it.

Good luck.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration