SALTA - Must do things? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » SALTA - Must do things? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Pearson
Username: Gpearson

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Folks,

My wife & I will be in Salta for 1-week mid January 2010 & really looking forward to this.

Can anyone offer an opinion on the must-dos, Must-sees in & around Salta? We have already booked our hotel so will be limited to day trips max. We have already pencilled in a day trip to Cafayate. We're not into adventure stuff... getting too fragile for that. Rather, sightseeing, cultural, dining & so on. Would prefer organised or public transport as I'm not keen to hire a car although I will if necessary.

One thing I do enjoy & am quite proficient at is trout fishing. Is there any good sport fishing to be had close to Salta? Can gear and/or guides be hired locally?

Any advice appreciated.

Geoff Pearson
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fergus
Username: Fergus

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Geoff,

To the north of Salta are the salt lakes/deserts, there's probably a day trip for those.

Also to the north, but typically accessed through Jujuy (another town) is the Humahuaca valley... pre incan buildings/ruins (Tilcara I think), Purmamarca with it's mulit-coloured hills. Not sure if you'll get these in a day trip from Salta. You can do it from Jujuy, about a 2 hour bus ride connects the two. Depending on schedules, and if you don't mind a long-ish day, yes it's possible.

Of course also from Salta runs a famous train - a good return day trip. Takes you up into the andes towards the chilean border.

http://www.ecotren.com/en_tren_a_las_nubes_home.ht ml

Another good Salta thing to do (if you like lazing around) is to people-watch at the main park. Lots of places for coffee and decent food. Yes you'll find some cocktails too.

Take the teleferico (cable car) up to the mountain/lookout, possibly picnic up there.

Not sure about the fishing, sorry. I'm not sure it's possible. Have you googled? I'm pretty sure Salta and Jujuy have tourism websites with english and also links (or ads) for local travel agents.

There's a national park somewhere near Salta, I can't think of the name, it's supposed to be very nice. Jungle/forest and full of wildlife.

Have a good trip!
Fergus.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration