Car rent in Argentina Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Car rent in Argentina « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Riyad Anabtawi
Username: Riyada

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Car rent is pretty expensive in Argentina vs USA rates.
Does any one know of a cheap way or company that rents cars here that have resonable rates?
Thanks

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 304
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We use Rent A Car a Budget for our customers...

Riyad Anabtawi

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Great Roberto
Would you tell me where ? I need to check pricing and if good make a reservation for my guests..
Thanks

F. Harrington
Username: Tarheel

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Try Argus or Club Argus. This is the best and cheapest I have ever seen in Argentina. At times it is associated with Alamo/National car rental offices in some countries.

Riyad Anabtawi

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tried Argus.. they charge automatically CDW.. comes out too expensive..
Thanks anyway

F. Harrington
Username: Tarheel

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Riyad, as pertaining to Argus, what is CDW?

Riyad Anabtawi

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

CDW. Collision Damage Waiver. Car insurance. A USA car rent vocabulary.

Mark Andrews
Username: Jmarkoa

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wonderful Site!
I will be in BA (first time) from May 5th to the 12th with my wife. She will be working the weekend, and I would like to rent a car to see the city. Could you recommend any companies that rent convertibles, maybe BMW or something upscale? Or, is this time of year just too cold for one? While visiting, we will be taking the ferry to Colonial and driving to Punta del Este to check out beaches and rental homes so we can plan a family reunion/vacation. Any idea if a rental car can be taken to Uruguay, or if they rent similar convertibles over there? Any driver's license/car insurance info for both countries would be helpful. Some have said a car is not recommended in BA (because of safety??). I enjoy driving and seeing places that most tourists usually don't get to see. Any recomendations for "unusual" and beautiful local places that normally go unnoticed (as well as places to stay away from) would be much appreciated.

Laura Zurro
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We have been living here for one month now and kept our rental car from Localiza in Palermo during this time mainly because we live in the suburbs, needed to set up our house, and wanted to explore as much as possible (even though we've done that in our previous trips it's different now that we're living here).

This was the third time we had rented from Localiza and have always felt their rates were much more reasonable than the other companies. we have rented a couple of different ones over the last few months on our preparation trips but this time took the cheapest. I know they don't have any high end cars but honestly we've driven and spent a lot of time parking the rental cars in BA and find it a hassle to have a nice one because you can get scrapes, towed (which will kill the car), or you could get sideswiped, not to mention you become very visible among a lot of less expensive cars. BMW's and convertibles exist but you will see many more in the suburbs than in the city, and if you are in the city driving I wouldn't want to get facefuls of smog and carbon from the buses and cars that don't have pollution controls.

This all said, we also love to drive everywhere, and after a couple of weeks I got over my fear of driving here, but you will need to be extremely careful as thh rule of the road is...there are no rules and many drivers do exactly as they feel. What we did initially was to buy a "guia filcar" which you can find in a lot of the kiosks. It is a street map book of the city and the surrounding suburbs. It's especially helpful because many street names are used in different areas with absoutely no relation between areas. In the beginning my husband drove (since he lived in Paris and has also driven in places like Turkey, Greece, and Italy where it's insane to drive) and I navigated with the map as I'm very good getting us around.

I would definately recommend you drive to San Antonio de Areco. It's a georgeous drive and the air was almost as sweet smelling as it was in Switzerland. Can't talk about Uruguay as we haven't gotten there yet. We also had wanted to drive south towards Tandil just to check it out, but we won't be able to do that for a couple of months at which time we'll just rent a car again.

Just a footnote, it is true to get around the city it's easier in many ways without a car as the public transporation is excellent, but it sounds like you're like us and like to explore, so our solution was to spend the beginning without a car and then we rented after we became more familiar.

If you want any other information, please feel free to email me.

laura
movingtoargentina.typepad.com

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 410
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Adding to Laura's comments, you don't see too many convertibles here if at all. And luxurious cars do not abound or if they do, they are driven in selected areas. This may tell you something...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration