Visiting Salta Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Visiting Salta « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Pearson
Username: Gpearson

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, September 25, 2009 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Folks,

My wife & I plan to do a return trip BsAs - Salta mid January 2010. Can anyone give me an indication of what I can expect to pay for the return airfare if I book on the ground in BsAs? Are there any local airlines that provide for online reservations? Also... what can we expect to pay for a mid-range hotel (3 or 4 star) in Salta at that time of year?

I need to know soon as Aerolinas here in New Zealand have offered a really good deal on the International leg which has to be paid for by Tuesday next week but, the Salta add-on looks a bit expensive.

Any advice appreciated.

Geoff Pearson

Fergus
Username: Fergus

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, September 25, 2009 - 3:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Geoff,

You can fly BsAs-Salta with Aerolieas/Austral (they switch the flights and codeshare all the time), or LAN, or possibly Andes (I've never flown with them).

Price usually line up with the Aerolineas website... choose NZ as your country at the start screen and you're getting the gringo price. Without a DNI that will be the same-ish price you get if you buy in BsAs.

Prices for LAN are on their website, Andes probably has one too? They were flying last time I was there (2008).

With Aerolineas it's always been a ticket for virtually nothing, when combined with the international return flight (coming from Sydney). I presume you've checked this with your travel agent?

One thing too... if you book with Aerolineas... book the earliest flight of the day. More than once, when returning from Salta to BsAs, some of the flights have been cancelled as their planes run late from the start (all over the country) and so later flights are often cancelled. Be on the earlier flight, and don't have tight connections in BsAs, yes there's a commute between airports but also your domestic flight may be hours late.

Re hotels last year the Sheraton Salta was around US$200 or so... they have prices on their website. A more typical local hotel, right on the main square at the corner (with a nice restaurant on the ground floor) was approx 200 pesos but that was a very basic room. Depends what you're after.

Hope you sort out the airfare.

Cheers...
Fergus

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1935
Posted on Friday, September 25, 2009 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Great information, Fergus!

Adding to that, got some figures...

Today's prices for a mid Jan trip BA-SALTA-BA usd $345/person (includes taxes, with Argentine Airlines.). What do you mean by return flight? Is this just one way? One way would be approx. half that. A 3 star hotel would be approx. usd $85/$90 per night for a double room. A 4 stars would be apprx. 40% to 50% more. And then, there is Fergus option on the high end.

Geoff Pearson

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, September 25, 2009 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Fergus/Roberto,

Thanks for your input.

We arrive in BsAs around end December for a 5-week stay. The idea is to do a side trip to Salta in mid January for 5-6 days. The Aerolineas online booking facility doesn't provide for that eg. I can get return fares for straight through return travel to Salta for not much more than AKL - BsAs return but, that's travelling without the stopovers in BsAs. I'm going over to the Flight Centre this morning to see if I can sort that one out.

I dredged around the web last night & found the 3-star Victoria Plaza hotel which looks about right for us. The address is Zuviria 16... Anybody know it?

Geoff Pearson

Pam Talkin
Username: Pep

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, September 25, 2009 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I found that LAN flights to and from Salta were more reasonable and reliable than Aerolineas. Stayed at the Almeria which was 2 blocks from the Plaza and very pleasant. Not cheap but not expensive and good value.

Fergus
Username: Fergus

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, September 25, 2009 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Geoff I think (hope) the travel agent will sort it out, without too much extra cost over the international fare.

Roberto a 'return' flight means the ticket is for the flight to Salta, and also the return flight back to BsAs.

Geoff Pearson

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, September 25, 2009 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Fergus,

Yes... I just got back & it's all sorted. Didn't get the exact dates AKL - BsAs we preferred but, the alternatives (a day or two either side) were NZ$750 less for each of us so all-in-all we got a pretty good deal. Two return airfares AKL/BsAs/Salta/BsAs/AKL for NZ$5114. That's way less than I paid for just AKL - BsAs last year. However, it rained on my parade when I went to the Air NZ website to book our return flights from home base Rotorua to AKL. Their so-called budget fares don't exist unless you book about 2-years in advance. They are charging NZ$375 each passenger for a 40-minute return flight... can you believe that? If you ever come to NZ, take a bus!

Anyways, we can at least start looking forward to our visit. This will be our first time to Salta & the furthest we have ever ventured away from BsAs. Looked at a few websites & it looks to be a really nice place.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Geoff Pearson

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration