Buenos Area Location Question Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Buenos Area Location Question « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeremy Swillinger
Username: Jms31280

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Can anyone tell me about the cross streets of Julian & Alvarez in Buenos Aires? I am considering staying here in November and want to make sure it is a nice and safe area.
Few more questions:
1) I'll be in Mendoza for 3 days (1 in the city, 2 at a winery). I'm taking the overnight bus from BA, but want to know if I should rent a car once in Mendoza? Should that be done prior to arrival or upon arrival?
2) I'll be taking a day trip to Uruguay, when should I purchase the ferry tickets? Over the internet before the trip, or on the morning of the day trip?
3) Same question, but for the overnight bus to Mendoza? When should I purchase the bus tickets? Over the internet before the trip, or on the day of the overnight trip?
4) Once in Mendoza, we are interested in doing a 1 day hiking trip in the mountains, any advice? Should we take a rental car or cab to the mountains? Or can you suggest an organized hiking company?
5) Any comments on the BA apartment rental company www.apartmentsba.com?

Thanks,
JMS31280
The 4 arrows indicate the location I'm asking about

MaxBa
Username: Qhba

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The area is ok, apartmentsba.com as far as I know has a solid an premium but expensive reputation, let's say they might not be one of the cheapest in town but they are for a long time active already here so they seem to have a solid reputation.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1932
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

One of the streets is "Julian Alvarez". Which is the other street so that we can locate the intersection in the map?

If this trip takes place in November I think it is safe to just walk into the bus terminal in Retiro and get the Mendoza tickets the day you plan to depart. Possibly the same with the ferry. I assume you already have a place to stay in Mendoza. You can arrange for a hiking tour and renting a car all at the front desk. That will be the simplest.

cynthia l glennan
Username: Cynthia

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

We got a great 2 bedroom apt w/AC in San Telmo at www.casasantelmo.com. It was $325 for the week so we could lock up and go on our side trips and not have to take everything we brought with us. They may even be cheaper now because of the economy and swine flu. Many of the apts do not have AC, so if that is important to you, make sure you check for it. San Telmo is a beautiful area that has tons of shops, restaurants and a beautiful city square with tango dancers. Much more reasonable than Palermo and Recoleta but still felt very safe. We took the bus and ferry to Uruguay while there and both were very crowded. You may want to reserve tickets in advance.

cynthia l glennan
Username: Cynthia

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

sorry, that website is www.casasantelmo.com/ar

Jeremy Swillinger
Username: Jms31280

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The cross streets are Julian Alvarez and Gorriti and Jose Antonio Cabrera. Is this a tree lined street with cafes and stores nearby?
Thanks!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1933
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I see the arrows now, sorry. Like MaxBa said, ok area. Most sidewalks in this neighborhood will have trees. More action (nights) closer to the park in Armenia and Costa Rica. You will find many pubs and restaurants in a stretch of 5 block off Armenia street but I can't remember the exact block numbers.

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 477

Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You can go to google maps and do a search of Buenos Aires. By selecting the satellite view you should be able to find the building you are talking about and look at the street to see if it is near parks and if it is tree lined.

You will love Argentina.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration