Bus or Plane? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Bus or Plane? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

timur s
Username: Timur007

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,

I'm planning a trip to Argentina for 11-12 days and my hope is to visit BA, the falls, and Bariloche. The problem is the cost to travel in country is a bit over my budget. Is there an overnight bus between these locations that might save me on airfare and hotel stay?

Also I have heard of an in country air pass, but it's been very difficult to find any real information about it, is this a possibility for the destinations I have listed?

Thanks so much for your help

Michelle Alison
Username: Michellealison

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There is a wonderful long distance bus service with overnight buses with seats that turn into beds. The only problem is, you would be spending approx. 4 days on buses. Considering you will only be here for a short time, it is a lot of days.

Michelle

timur s

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Any ideas what would be the best way for me to get between these locations? Is there an air pass?

Living in Patagonia
Intermediate Member
Username: Soulskier

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

From BA to Bariloche is about 20 hours on a bus, I suggest the Cama for maximum comfort. Feel free to contact me directly for Bariloche questions, I live here full time. Suerte!

Francis G Mandarano
Username: Fgm009

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

How long is the flight from BA to Bariloche? and the cost?
FGM

Living in Patagonia
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

2 hours and about US$378 roundtrip, unless you are an Argentine resident.

elina overstadt
Username: Agustina

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Flight is 2 hours and as a non resident will cost you about $300-400USD roundtrip. Lan and Aerolineas Argentina both fly there. The bus is a good way to go too..even though it takes 20 hours it does most of the trip at night so you leave in the afternoon and arrive in morning/midday. Just make sure you go cama ejecutivo or tutto leto for the complete bed..cama doesnt go 180 degrees. (the cost is about $65 each way for 1st class). And pack a picnic, the food is FOUL. You might go one way on the plane and one way on the bus.

Victor W.
Username: Wvictor

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It is ridiculous that people have to pay extra for not being Argentineans, I wonder what will Argentineans will say if they had to pay more expensive tickets in the rest of the world for not being form that country...

RentingBA
Username: Rentingba

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You are right Victor,

It's not fair.

But remember, those Argentinians pay fees for USA visas. We don't as of yet.

That isn't exactly fair either.

Victor W.

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That "tax" is not only for Americans, us for everyone that goes to our country, I have travelled a lot and don't remember such thing anywhere, and American pay for a visa to get into Argentina that I know for a few months now, or is not yet happening?

timur s

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, it's so much money. Is Bariloche worth the trip? What can you do there? I heard from many people that it's a must see, but is it more memorable than farther south in Patagonia?

elina overstadt

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It is pretty spectacular and unlike in the far south, there are days of day trips and excursions in the immediate area. You are not going to see the town, you are going to see beautiful mountain lakes and great hiking. What time of year are you going to be there? I would look into to package deals through the airlines. Iguazu is not cheap either....and you really need to fly there.

RentingBA
Username: Rentingba

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

No Victor,

We aren't paying Visa fees. But Argentinians are paying Visa fees.

Which is not fair. It is an international gripe with the US. I brought it up in this thread because I thought it was appropriate just to ad some perspective.

Argentina did pass the law this year. But they haven't started implementing it.

So far Brazil and Paraguay are the only countries charging " reciprocal " visa fees.

MIchael Calero
Intermediate Member
Username: Michael795

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Can someone tell me if the Argentina government are presently charging Americans the visa fee, I believe it was like $137 usd but they extended the first effective date. I would like to know, Since I am traveling to B'A's in August.

Gayle
Username: Flaka

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

When my husband I were returning to the U.S from Argentina we were both charged a fee to leave that we never had to pay in the past. I should think this might discourage others to travel there. With tourism down I do not know why they would put this into practice now.

elina overstadt

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

the $131 was an entry fee payable to immigration. It was slated for march 2009 and has been postponed indefinitely. Here is the scoop:
http://www.discoverbuenosaires.com/argentinas-proposed-tourist-entry-fee-postponed-indefinitely

The fee you may have paid was an airport tax fee payable when you depart, its been around forever and cost about $20usd .

(Message edited by admin on June 16, 2009)

elina overstadt

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There is a distinction between what Argentina was proposing (and what Chile does when entering by plane) and the Visas required by Brazil or Paraguay. The tourist fee is just that, a fee. A visa requires not only money, but time/photos/sometimes fingerprints. Its a time consuming process that doesn't even come close to what someone from South America has to do to get a Visa to travel to the US.

MIchael Calero
Intermediate Member
Username: Michael795

Post Number: 110
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you for the up to date information about the entry fee still being postponed. I am aware with the departing fee which I have paid in the past.

Also, I agree with not being fair even though I would have to pay. It should be all the same if the USA charges then Argentina should do the same. Fair is Fair.... When the USA rised the fee for visa's for Brazilians , then Brazil did the same to USA citizens which I had to pay for a five year visa , it wasn't bad just $110 usd. If one is retired from a government job with a pension one can get a Brazilian retirement resident for $300 lifetime. I should of done that .. LOL

Victor W.

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The point is, are Americans the only people that visit Argentina? This is charged to everyone that is not Argentinean, it is a bad sign to attract tourism and almost a "don't come here" statement.

I'm ashamed of my country doing that.

Sorry to drive away of the original subject, but really make me feel bad that my country does this kind of things.

Living in Patagonia
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 154
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I look at it as Argentine residents get a discount, not foreigners paying more.

Timur, I live in Bariloche year round, feel free to contact me directly if you have questions on the area, I am happy to help.

Mark
Intermediate Member
Username: Lostintheandes

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Careful you don't try to do to much and spend all your time on a bus or in a airport.

Your statement is like saying. I am coming to the US and will visit New York City, Florida, and California....oh and in only 11 days. bus trips are long and take a half day to recover from. Plane trips entail long days spent in Airports or between airports in cabs.

richard cooperman
Username: Eroica38

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree. Be careful packing too much in. The main domestic airline, Aerolineas Argentinas is chronically late. On my last trip we did Iguazu and Mendoza by air from BA. It worked well except for the 3-4 hr delays we had on ALL Aerolineas flights.

elina overstadt

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

historically Lan has been more reliable, but in the last few months since nationalization..Aerolineas its been 100% better, no more labor strikes/long lunches/mental health days.

The domestic airport is modern and in a convenient location, so if the flights are flying it works pretty well...

timur s

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What would you recommend for an 11 day trip?

Living in Patagonia
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 155
Posted on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Buenos Aires and 1 or 2 other locations would be good.

timur s

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Soulskier,

I tried to contact you directly, but havent heard back. I'm not sure how this site works, so wanted to reahc out via this discussion in case my email was lost.

Thanks

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1872
Posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Timur, let me check. I receive a copy of pms as the admin. I will resend it to him. This system is a little cumbersome.

K. J. Molina
Username: Kara

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am trying to plan a trip around Argentina and wonder if its possible to book internal flights from abroad?

(Also, does anyone have recommendations about what parts of the country are best to visit in August. We were thinking about hiking and horse-riding ... suggestions would be more than welcome!)

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1890
Posted on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kara, welcome! I got your email about your password and will reply privately. Most hiking areas would be close to the Andes and it can still get very cold in August, specially considering altitude. If you are into hiking you must explore Mendoza although many parts of Argentina are suitable for this. I am not sure I understand you inquiry about internal flights... Isn't it possible to do this through a local agent? My mother books and makes reservations for her foreign clients for domestic flights all the time! Some information is needed though (passport numbers, etc).

August is weather changing time as September approaches and Spring is near. So you will first have to decide what your likes are in terms of a trip and then make sure the weather is appropriate. As I said, Mendoza and some other areas of Patagonia as well as northern states are all good for hiking, with the caveat of cold weather in August.

(Message edited by admin on July 29, 2009)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration