Older couple going to Patagonia Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Older couple going to Patagonia « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gloria Friendly
Username: Gitel

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We are Senior Citizens leaving for BA on 2/22/09. We would like to go to Patagonia, especially Perito Moreno glacier. There are 3 problems we need help with.
1. Any cheaper way to get there than by air from BA?
2. It seems that if you are over 60 you can't join any tours walking on the glacier. Any alternatives?
3. Any suggestions for other activities in Patagonia?
We usually travel on our own and have already been to the wonderful sites in northern Argentina. Thanks for any help.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1820
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gloria, welcome! I will do some research and come back with some data tomorrow. But first, I'd like to mention this: patagonia is very vast, it encompasses 6 provinces and two countries. It is very dissimilar depending on lat/long. For example, the upper east has wonderful animal reservoirs, the upper west is papered with pristine lakes and scenic views while the southern part has not only the glaciers but also the southernmost city in the planet. As such, landscape and climate varies greatly. To suggest activities in patagonia we may need to know more about your preferences, likes and dislikes.

I knew there were restrictions for walking on the glaciers but I thought these were related to health conditions only (fit, not fit). I will try to find out tomorrow about age restrictions. Where did you see this?

Finally, even when expensive, flying is still the best way. You could conceivably get to Bahia Blanca by bus/train and take another one to Rio Gallegos and a bus to Calafate from there. But I would not recommend this to senior citizens. Plus the logistic is complex as the buses to Calafate from Rio Gallegos do not depart every day. This is a remote area of Argentina!

Living in Patagonia
Intermediate Member
Username: Soulskier

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hola Gloria,

You guys should consider coming thru Bariloche and the Lakes district. There are plenty of activities for people your age. We just had some guests in their mid 70's that had a blast. Feel free to contact me for more info. Suerte!

Gloria Friendly
Username: Gitel

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for your help, but we have already been to Bariloche, which, indeed is beautiful. We would like to go some place new.
We have a substantial block of time to spend in Patagonia. If we took the bus are there places to stop and see things along the way? I saw the age restrictions on Tripadvisor.com.

WTMendoza.com
Advanced Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 380

Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Gloria,

Mendoza straddles upper Patagonia sort of - and if you havn't been there, it is getting close to harvest time and the related festivals first week of March, etc - could be good, especially if you are into wine and sunnier drier weather, together with the natural beauty of a drier part of the Andes. Good luck!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration