Salta trip - Tren de las nubes Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Salta trip - Tren de las nubes « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

We're thinking of traveling to Argentina sometime between mid February and mid April. What is the best time to go to catch the best weather and attractions. If we go to Salta, how long should we stay there to see the major attractions? How hard is it to book a trip on the famous train ride in the clouds and what does it cost?

roberto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Mark, around mid April you will avoid the hot northern summer in Salta. If you want to make the most of argentine attractions you should work on a combined trip where you will be able to see several different places in enough of a period of time. Since you plan to visit Salta, I'd say, think on combining that with Jujuy and perhaps Tucuman. This could be an interesting trip to learn about our northern states, their heritage and their culture.

You can stay about 3 nights on each state and make a 10 day trip (9 nights) or if that is too long, give Tucuman 2 days, Salta 3 and Jujuy 2 for 8 days (7 nights). The longer you can stay the more you will be able to see. Argentina is cheap now, so more days may not mean an overly expensive trip. The "train in clouds" is not difficult to book at all. If we plan in advance it will as easy as getting all your trip booked. At present exchange rates the cost of the excursion is about $33 per person, it does not include meals and it lasts the entire day, about 10/12 hours.}

Michal Noonan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am looking for cheap flights to get from BA to Salta on Sept 9th and returning 12th Sept?
How can I book the Train to the Clouds, and what is the cost?

Anton Dekker
Username: Anton

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bad news folks. Just heard on the radio that the Tren de las Nubes service has been cancelled today (July 19, 2005)by the Salta Tourism Board till further notice, until they can guarantee that it can provide a safe and comfortable trip.
Apparently the engine stopped ydy (temperature at 4000 mts above sea level was -10ºc!!) so passengers went thru quite a miserable time, but luckily that was all.
So please check with your local operator
Must see the upside though, better be safe than sorry. At least there is a serious attitude towards safety.
Also, apparently due to the huddling together to keep warm, "new friendships were made" and maybe by April next year, there will be new mouths to feed!! Apparently the high altitude and low temperature causes this type of behaviour...

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Michael, welcome!

a ticket Buenos Aires - Salta - Buenos Aires departing and returning on those dates is approcximately USD $288 all taxes included (argentine airlines). There are about 7 or 8 flights a day. Four non-stop. The ones with connection fly through Cordoba but this can take as long as 6 hours, so it is not recommended.

As for the train in the clouds Anton has already given you the bad news. The operator of the train never invested in the machines, which have now broken down :-(

Hugues
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We plan to be in Salta from November 18th do you think there is a chance that the Train to the Clouds service will be re-started by that time?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Hugues, I doubt this is going to happen. One main engine broke for lack of maintenance. I wouldn't be surprised to see this situation to go on till 2006... But noone knows, really.

Charles Read
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Buenos Aires to Salta. Would like info on driving - how long does it take - is it an interesting drive - have two weeks - would it be better to fly - thank you for your help

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Charles, Salta is about 1,616km from the capital city Buenos Aires. You can take Ruta #9 all the way to Tucuman, crossing through the provinces of Cordoba and Santiago del Estero. In Cordoba, you may want to make some time for there are very interesting spots. By far, the most exciting part of this drive will be the last leg from Tucuman till you reach Salta. Here, you have 2 choices: either remain on ruta #9 or #237 through Tafi del Valle. Both routes offer advantages and disadvantages but the narrower and more dangerous #237 offers incredible scenery not to be missed.

If you go through Tafi del Valle the drive can be spectacular but you should make the entire trip (Buenos Aires-Salta) in at least three days to make it enjoyable and take enough rests. You will be driving in high altitude at times.

In Salta don't forget to take the following trips:
City tour through Cerro San Bernardo, Universidad Católica, Río Vaqueros, Quebrada de Castellanos, Lesser, San Lorenzo and Mercado Artesanal. Visit Cabra Corral (220 km and about 4 hours), Cafayate (390 km and about 12 hours), Cachi (320 km and about 8 hours), Valles Calchaquíes (520 km and about 2 days), Quebrada del Toro (120 km and about 3 hours), San Antonio de los Cobres (390 km and about 12 hours) and Quebrada de Humahuaca in Jujuy province (520 km and about 2 days).

If you are pressed with time I am afraid you will need to fly but if you can devote all 2 weeks to just Salta, driving might be worth considering. Specially, if you are also interested in visiting Tucuman. I highly recommend this.

(Message edited by admin on August 19, 2005)

Szonja
Username: Szonja

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is there any coach company operating between Iguazu and Salta? We planed to go from BA to Iguazu and then to Salta. What is the easyest way?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Szonja, there is only one bus liner that I know of: AndesMar. They operate between Misiones and Salta. They have both standard and executive buses. The latter offers 180 degrees flat beds and dinner/breakfast services at about USD $55 (one way). The trip from Iguazu to Salta is about 27 hours and the route goes through Posadas first, Tucuman and then Salta. Buses depart every day at 6.50 am approximately. The cheaper ticket costs about USD $40 (one way). You can call AndesMar at 54-387-401-1143.

Alan Moran
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Myself and my girlfriend would like to fly from Buenos Aires to Salta for three days in the last week of August´05. We are having great trouble finding proper flight information. How much should it cost and with which airline.

I d appreciate the help. Thankyou.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Alan, the only airliner for that route is going to be Aerolineas Argentinas. I will try to get you more information on prices and availability tomorrow. Will post here.

Maureen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My partner and I are travelling to BA on 23 Dec leaving 1 Jan. We would like to see Iquaza Falls and Tucuman/Salta, as well as spend a couple of days in BA. What would be the best plan, and what is the approx cost.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maureen, this is just a rough plan. Two nights in BA, 2 nights in Iguazu and 3 nights Salta/Tucuman. This is a very short time for 3 destinations and you will probably feel time was short. Just Buenos Aires may take a week. Two nights in Iguazu is the minimum we recommend. And both Salta and Tucuman have a lot to offer. In addtion, you will need to fly from Iguazu to Salta connecting through Buenos Aires and this will take time away from your trip. Finally, you will be visiting in the busiest season of all. If you haven't made your reservations yet I am afraid it may be too late. Whatever you are considering doing you must contact your travel agent as soon as possible. As for pricing, we prefer to do give estimates privately. You can always contact Erna at erna@travelsur.net and she will be happy to help you. You can then compare and shop around.

Alan Johnson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am looking to travel from Buenos Aires to Iguassu falls and then to Salta and finally Metan for a family reunion. Then back to Buenos Aires. I have a ticket to BA and back to the US, but I am trying to schedule flights or trains in Argentina and am finding it difficult. Can you help?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Alan, yes, we can help, although we do not make bus reservations for our clients. If bus trips are part of your itinerary I would suggest handling that in Buenos Aires at the Retiro Bus Terminal. You will probably have enough schedules to chose from that it will be easy. As for trains I would say forget it. The railroad system was dismantled over a decade ago and the only train trips in existence today are short legs between certain cities. Granted, some train trips are picturesque but they are very short and not the kind that your are trying to book.

If you need help with airline reservations you can always email Erna at erna@travelsur.net and request a quote. She will be happy to help you. Erna manages the Buenos Aires office. If you feel inclined to book your tickets yourself you can check aerolineas argentinas website. We have never used it though...

(Message edited by admin on September 19, 2005)

PAUL BOGAART
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I WOULD LIKE INFO RE: BUS SERVICE BETWEEN BA & SALTA AND/OR MENDOZA. SPECIFICALLY FARES AROUND NOV. 21/05 AND SCHEDULES.ANY INFO OR RECOMMENDATIONS FOR CLEAN, AFFORDABLE PENSIONES IN BOTH CITIES WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANX.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Paul, Andesmar does the Buenos Aires / Mendoza route. You can check schedules and pricing at www.andesmar.com. Your place of departure will be 'Retiro -BUE'. As for schedules and pricing to Salta, check with ALMIRANTE BROWN buses (ph:5411-4314-8050). This leg may be about 21/22 hours. I can't give you accomodation advice, unfortunately. Mendoza has a good many numbers of hotels as well as Salta. Recommendations are typically something personal and it is beyond the scope of my role here. I sometimes wish other international travelers participate more and provide sound advice to their counterparts. This forum belongs to everyone.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Eli, I am afraid it is not. I called the company last week and noone answered the phone. There are still no news.

LARRY ROSS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We are going to be in Argentina from Oct. 24 - Nov.20. We have rented an apartment in Palermo, BA for 2 weeks. That leaves 2 weeks to see the the rest of Argentina. Salta and Tucoman (and someplace else) have been recommended. We like to travel by bus when possible. Not only is it less expensive, but we get to see the country. However, is it possible to tell us what a bus trip in Argentina is like? In Europe we went from Vienna to Avignon. 24 hours on a bus. It was a pleasure. From Copenhagen to Paris, 17 hours. It was a pleasure. Are the buses in Argentina comfortable? Is this trip possible or are we dreaming?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 148
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Larry, there are a number of bus companies that will do this route. Buses are very common in Argentina and for the most part they provide excellent services. Your research should revolve around 'Retiro Terminal bus station' in the city of Buenos Aires where all bus liners are located. There are a number of services you can book including what is called 'coche cama' or executive coach that has both dinner and breakfast services for long distance travel, as well as flat beds (180 degrees) for a slightly higher fee. If you look on the web you will be able to find some information, specially if you look in google argentina (google.com.ar).

But bear in mind that comparing bus services in Argentina to the ones you booked in Europe is beyond the scope of this forum. These 2 regions are worlds apart and many things may come into consideration when gauging the services. I'd say if you want to travel by bus in Argentina you should be open minded and avoid comparisons with countries that have hundreds of years of experience with turists. Not Argentina's case. All in all, it should be a pleasant, decent experience....

Larry Ross
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is it appropriate to say "Thank You, Roberto" on this site? You have been most helpful. Larry

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 149
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Larry, in an Argentine forum everything is appropriate. Don't forget to check the argentine buses site. All you need to do is type in your destination and the resulting page will have another link to that destination, whith all the bus companies serving it. It's spanish but nonetheless useful.

Steve Bauer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My wife, our two children, and I are planning an extended trip to Salta beginning around June 1 and lasting until the middle of July. We hope to stay with a family, take many sidetrips, visit schools (I am a teacher in Tucson, AZ) and play lots of futbol! We like the idea of spending a few days in B.A., and then catching a bus toward Salta. The idea of a 21-22 hour bus ride with children seems a bit too daring, and I wonder if you could suggest a mid-point to rest and spend at least one night. Also, we'd like an estimate of round trip flights.

Thanks in advance for your help. It's been very informative already reading your responses to other inquiries.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Steve, you can actually make two very nice stops or chose among these: Cordoba and Tucuman. They both offer great attractions. Cordoba city has a miriad of churches from the time of the missionary settlements and is indeed very pretty. Culturally, it has a lot to offer (museums and stuff). Tucuman, on the other hand, is a smaller place that has very nice surroundings. You can visit Tafi del Valle which is very close, a beautiful spot. Traveling north to Salta you can also go the Cafayate route and visit some of the wineries... Cafayate has some of the best varietals in Argentina. I don't have any flight estimates at this time, I am sorry.

ems
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What about the tren de las nubes...in january?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 238
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

ems, we just called an agent in Salta. At present, they don't even know if it will happen in 2006 :-(

Anne Mitchell
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm going to visit my son and his wife who live in Buenos Aires at beginning of April 06. We plan to go to Tucuman, Salta and Juyjuy and were hoping to go up to Bolivia from there. I want to go on the Tren a las Nubes but have just read on this site that it may not be running. Have you any up to date info on this and what would be the cheapest way to do this trip. My son thought about renting a car and me driving, thinking this would be cheaper than 3 of us going by bus or air. Can you advise please?

Zoe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm going in February to Argentina, but may change that date depending on the availability of the Tren a las Nubes. Is there an update on the service?

Also, are there any good Carneval celebrations in Argentina and what specific dates will they take place?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 268
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anne, the 'tren de las nubes' still has no date of reopening, unfortunately. We have no new news on this. The best way to handle the northern provinces is by buying a ready-made package from a travel agent. You can drive, but these regions are isolated and difficult to travel through so unless you like adventure and have the time you may regret doing it yourself.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 269
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Zoe, same as above. No news on the 'tren de las nubes'. As for carnivals, there is one very popular locally in 'Gualeguaychu'. You can research for this on the Net.

Vincent
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I would like to rent a car in BA and make a circuit to Salta, Asuncion, Iguacu Falls, Montevideo and back to BA. I am planning about
3 weeks. My questions are:

1. Can I take a rental car into Paraguay and
Uraguay?
2. Are there any safety concerns in Paraguay
and Uraguay?
3. Are there overnight accommodations along
this route?
4. Would I need visas for Paraquay and
Uraguay? I am a US citizen.

Vincent

martha ware
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello - Thanks for all the great tips! We want to travel to Salta for two weeks in March 06 with three children. We would prefer to rent a house or aparment but I have had trouble finding anything on the web. Also, we will be coming from Montevideo. Is it best to fly from there or return to BA? Martha

F. Harrington
Username: Tarheel

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Martha: On one of my trips to Salta, I stayed at a very nice hotel, small, on the outskirts of Salta (San Lorenzo)in a hotel El Castillo. John there knows the area well. If he can't help you perhaps he can recommend a property. Type in El Castillo, San Lorenzo Argentina and see if the web has this address. I found it but can't remember just how! Sorry but's its a nice location, especially for kids. There is bus service all day and into the night, about 10 minutes.

Alan J
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Any news on the train yet, we hope to travel to the area in August

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 353
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You may want to check again around July. Last week we contacted resellers in Salta and apparently the former owner has lost the license to operate the train so not looking good. It could be that there will be no more train to the clouds...

Alan J
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Test

Maria Fernanda
Username: Mafecita

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Living in Montevideo - can anyone give us a contact phone number or website so we can check if the Tren de los Nubes will be running in July - we plan a visit to that area during the Winter holidays

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 372
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You can call the largest tour operator in the area (and tell them Erna referred you):

TASTIL VIAJES Y TURISMO
Tel: (0387) 4311223

C MacDonald
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I will be in Salta in May and, after spending a few days in the area, I would like to travel to Chile. Does anyone know the weekly bus schedule from Salta to San Pedro de Atacama? Is Geminis the only company offering this service? Thank you.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 388
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You can try

SAN JOSE S.R.L. 4000-5200 (in Salta)
LA VELOZ DEL NORTE S.A. 4315-0800 (Buenos Aires office)

Administrator
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Test

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 483
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Latest news on 'Tren de las nubes' in Salta...

Today, a local newspaper published an article that there is a good chance that the train will resume its schedule starting on January 2007.

A brief summary of the article states that EcoTren, the potentially new owners and future operators of the train tour, issued a press release where they have confirmed resuming services on branch c-14. The same corporate group -Tranex, Lesamis and Escopa- is in charge of operating the other famous train tour in deep patagonia, the 'train to the end of the world' in Ushuaia. The group plans to invest approximately 15 million dollars in a period of 4 years which includes the construction of a restaurant in San Antonio de Cobres and the acquisition of new machines.

In the release, it was also announced that the new pricing for the tour will be significantly lower and it is estimated that trips will start at $135 (pesos), as opposed to $200 (pesos) like in the past. The plan is to offer 2 different types of trips, a deluxe coach and an adventure coach for mostly backpackers.

For information on Hotels in Salta please check that link.

Whitelion
Username: Whitelion

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello, Roberto, I was in the last trip in "Tren de las Nubes", after that, in the next trip the train broken in San Antonio de los Cobres City. It was one of the most beautiful experience that i had. I hope that the train will work again soon, i would like to repeat the trip.
regards.

francesca mistretta
Username: Francesca917

Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm planning on going to Salta in October, 2006 - can anyone confirm or deny that "El Tren de las Nubes" will be running then? If not, are there any specific roads I can drive that will allow me to experience similar scenery? Thank you!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 675
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

No train.

There is a bus that does a similar route but is not the same and does not reach the train's final destination (I think). I don't know much about the bus either just that it is the only alernative.

Ted & Rhonda
Username: Ted

Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Any word on whether the Tren a las Nubes is open again? We are planning a trip in March/April '07. We've searched the web for an answer to this and haven't come up with anything. It looks like there might have been some problems with giving EcoTren the business? We would appreciate any news on this. Thank you!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ted and Rhonda, nothing new. Problems between government and private enterprise. Government claims they own the rails and disagrees with EcoTren in certain issues... and they refuse to sit down to negotiate. I would pass on this.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1735
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The train trip was restarted 10 days ago. However, local authorities from Salta decided to stop the service due to malfunctions. Here is the article publised today (spanish)...

http://www.ambitoweb.com/diario/noticia.asp?id=412 950

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration