El Calafate or Ushuaia Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » El Calafate or Ushuaia « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sam Baker
Username: Sambaker

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I will be in Argentina for 3 weeks in Feb., 2009. I'm booked to go to Iguazu, to Salta, to Pampas, but would like one more adventure. I am not so interested in strenuous trekking but love nature, animals, etc. I am debating with myself about a trip to El Calafate or to Ushuaia. I don't have time to include both. Which in your opinion is most interesting? Or is there another spot I can fly to for a 3-4 day stay that is great?

Living in Patagonia
Username: Soulskier

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You should consider the area around Bariloche for the combination of nature, outdoors, excellent restaurants and culture. Feel free to PM for more info. Suerte!

Hieu Hanh Ngo
Username: Mylan

Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We are 2 canadians looking for return flights Buenos Aires- El Calafate for a 4 to 5 day stay in El calafate; a period between the 22 dec '08 and 30 dec '08. Prices from the Aerolinas Argentinas are quite expensive. Any advice or help. thank you.

Mylan

Arial
Advanced Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 291
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you have not seen a glacier, in my opinion El Calafate is great. It is supposedly one of the only growing glaciers in the world (maybe THE only one, not sure) and larger than the entire city of Buenos Aires. The sound of the ice constantly cracking and falling is awesome. Plus it is beautiful.

Ushuaiah is beautiful too. Perhaps someone else could elaborate on the area. There are penguins and other wildlife of interest. I have been to--and loved--both places, but I would choose the glacier if I had to choose. Since they are in rather close proximity to each other, sorry you canīt do both.

Justin Dellaverson
Username: Justindellaverson

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

While there is no doubt that both El Calafate and Ushuaia are incredible - if you have a LOT of money want to fly I would say go down to Ushuaia - hang out in the national park and take a day trip to Estancia Haberton or Haberton Farm as it is sometimes called. If you choose to go to El Calafate you will see the incredible Perito Moreno Glaciar and you can also go to smaller towns around there that dont have a tourist center. Here is a good site for info on the different regions buenosairesstay.com/santa_cruz.htm also buenosairesstay.com/ushuaia.htm and you can check out the official government site http://www.sectur.gov.ar/

(Message edited by admin on December 06, 2008)

Mike Lee
Username: Bayareadude

Posted on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone feel it is worthwhile to visit Ushuaia in mid-May? I'm getting mixed recommendations on whether there are good things to see and do then.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration