Patagonia - When to go? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Patagonia - When to go? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

scott mccoy
Username: Smccoy

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I will be in South America between Feb and June. Can folks here recommend the best time to go to Patagonia during this timeframe and why? I am completely open and need advice. Thanks in advance.

Álvaro Conforte Dorneles
Username: Alvinho

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've heard the best time to reach Patagonia is summertime....in winter it snows a lot throughout the region and the cold freezes your bones....hehehe....during summer you can enjoy the hikings around the woods and lakes......howvever, they say the temperatures drop as the night falls.

Even though I've never been there, it's the information I've known from other travellers I've come across and the Internet I've checked on.

Enjoy it, buddy!

Living in Patagonia
Username: Soulskier

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Scott, Feb to April are great times to visit northern Patagonia. In May and June, the rains come though there still be nice days as well.

Jan Lettinga
Username: Heart_of_argentina

Post Number: 8

Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anyway, prepare yourself for rough weather, whenever you go to Patagonia. I once spend Christmas in Ushuaia, where in the middle of summer (and with temparatures in Buenos Aires hitting 40 degrees Celsius), we had to do an excursion in snow and hail. The temperature never exceeded 10 degrees Celsius. Never spend any time there in the winter months but I can imagine it can be very cold.

Living in Patagonia

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Last Christmas in Northern Patagonia was about 75 degrees.

Bruno
Username: Bbr

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I spent in December 2006 / January 2007 a couple of days in El Calafate. Time and location were perfect and we enjoyed trips to the Perito Moreno glacier as well as a boat trip on the lago Argentino to the other glaciers (Upsala, Onelli, Spegazzini). You will need some winter clothes - especially against the winds !!!

deirdre
Username: Deirdre1000

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,
Can you tell me is it a good time to go to patagonia in june

Living in Patagonia
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

June in Patagonia can be rainy and/or snowy. The ski resorts typically open in Mid June. If you are talking about the Atlantic Coast, the whales normally arrive in June.

homey patagon
Username: Futbol21

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I lived in the patagonia for two years, and traveled the whole area from la pampa down to santa cruz. i would say it depends on where you are planning on going. Santa cruz and bariloche are definately the best in between december and late march. Neuquen and parts of chubut and rio negro are nice in the spring, and fall months there, but i wouldnt recommend ever going to the patagonia in the winter unless you love the cold. The skiing in bariloche is pretty good though. hope this helps. Im planning on going back for christmas this year. Bariloche is amazing around christmas time, but if you want to see some awesome fireworks for christmas or new years, go to neuquen, trelew, or comodoro.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration