Argentina for 20 days! Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Argentina for 20 days! « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jessica Malamud
Username: Jessica_zoe

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello -

I'm amazed with the great advice you have given to other users, and look forward to hearing any advice you can provide me. Two friends and I are going to Argentina from September 29-October 18 (20 days), beginning and ending in Buenos Aires. I'm hoping to see the following destinations (by car, plane or bus). What is the minumim time I'll need to allocate for each spot? If I cannot fit all this in my time, what would you suggest skipping?

-Buenos Aires
-Cordoba (by flight or bus)
-San Juan or San Luis
-Mendoza
-Bariloche
-Perito Moreno
-Puerto Madryn (Penninsula Valdes)
-Back to Buenos Aires

I fear that I miss a lot by not seeing Iguazu or Ushuaia. Would you agree?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Linda Murray
Username: Linda57

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Iguazu is absolutely amazing. I think it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited. I spent 20 days in June/July this year. Did not travel as many places as you are planning because I was traveling alone. I traveled by overnight bus in country - a great value and saves a hotel room that night! Salta is also quite beautiful and there is a lot to do in that area.

Have fun!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1745
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Aside from Linda's great advise, here are my thoughts (and sorry for the delay in answering)...

San Juan and Mendoza are pretty much alike with Mendoza much more developed than San Juan. But in terms of climate, weather and attractions they are similar so I would chose only one of these.

San Luis has a quiet, relaxed vacation spot in its northeastern corner called Merlo. If your idea of a trip is this, then you should consider this destination. Problem is getting there and unless totally sure, I would skip San Luis.

So you are left with BA, Cordoba, Mendoza, Bariloche, Perito Moreno (Santa Cruz) and Peninsula Valdes (Chubut). It is possible to do all this in 20 days but you will need a combination of flights and buses. The one region that is out of the loop is Cordoba. You could organize a flight as BA, Mendoza, Bariloche, Santa Cruz, Peninsula Valdes (Connection BA), BA but it will not be cheap. Once back in BA you can take a bus or train to Cordoba and then return to BA.

In general, this kind of trip is a little bit crowded. One thing that goes wrong and you will end up with too much stress. You are targeting the three biggies Bariloche, Glaciers and Peninsula. For a better planing I would live out 1 of these destinations and be left with something like:

BA
Mendoza
Bariloche
Glaciers or Peninsula
BA - Cordoba - BA

(Message edited by admin on September 23, 2008)

Jessica Zoe
Username: Jessica_zoe

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto, thanks for the advice!

Also, does anyone know if it is possible to buy a pre-paid phone in BA airport? is it expensive?

Victor W.
Username: Wvictor

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

i think hoy can rent, I'm not sure if you can buy one, in my last trip 2 months ago I needed a phone and went to buy a prepay one, when I was buying it they ask me for a local address plus a DNI , which I was able to provide because Im Argentinian, but I asked, what if I don't have one, then I can not sell it to you was the answer.

Not sure if it is true but is what I was told. May be some one in Argentina can go to a store and ask and tell you

richard cooperman
Username: Eroica38

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I visited Argentina last year and was able to purchase a pre-paid SIM card for my cell phone. I bought it at a cell phone shop on Florida. A SIM card is the little card that is inserted in your phone. The shop can install it and make sure it will work. I have done this in many countries. All you need is an unlocked GSM compatible phone. Most phones sold in the US and Europe will work. My pre-paid SIM card worked just fine. Make sure they activate the number and 'load' the SIM with your pre-paid airtime.

Victor W.
Username: Wvictor

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Probably my issue was that I did not had a phone, and discount for phones are effective only if you had some kind of commitment with the company. Or the salesperson just did not want to do it :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration