Glaciers, Lakes or Falls in early Sep... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Glaciers, Lakes or Falls in early September? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

vinod s
Username: Vinny

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

First of all, great forum!

We are a couple (in our 30s) traveling to Argentina for a week, early September. We are arriving in Buenos Aires on Sept 4th afternoon and leave from there Sept 10th early evening.

We are thinking of spending 4 nights and 3 full days in Buenos Aires. But we are not able to decide on what we should do for the two full days after that.

Iguazu falls seems like the right choice given the time (early September), but I can't help but wonder if it is even possible to go see glaciers instead of the falls. I know it may sound crazy, but I haven't seen glaciers, and what could be better than seeing them in Argentina? If that's really impossible (even if I cut down a day in Buenos Aires), then would going to Bariloche makes sense (we are not into skiing though)?

I won't compare Iguazu falls to Niagara falls, but given that I have seen Niagara falls, I am tempted to see some other place that is quite distinct to Argentina (I think Iguazu is quite distinct in that sense, but still...).

The other option is to stay in Bs As for all 5 days, can someone suggest some interesting things to do for all 5 days there? We prefer experiencing the people and the nuances of the place, rather than any tourist spots, whenever we travel.

Hoping to make our trip memorable, any tips, suggestions on what we can do in Bs As and one other place (or just in Bs As for all five days) would be quite valuable.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1726
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Vinny, welcome! You can definitely spend 5 days in BA as it has many things to offer. Walking through La Recoleta and its miriad of cafes and parks, visiting the many flea markets (also in Plaza Francia) around new recycled neighborhoods (a great one in Costa Rica and Honduras and another one in Plaza freud and yet another one in Parque Lezama), spending time in San Telmo and walking around the narrow and old streets that still have the "adoquines", the original rounded stones used to pave the streets. I think you can really spend hours walking in the original neighborhoods all around Plaza de mayo, where the Pink House is, getting acquainted with some of the original buildings including some ancient, colonial architecture. There is a LOT to discover. The city of Buenos Aires is very large. There are newer neighborhoods occupying land that has been taken from the river, the whole Costanera Sur and Puerto Madero with its restaurants and walks. Many, many locals walking/jogging through Costanera Sur. September will be a great time to take a day off and spending it hanging out in the "bosques de Palermo".

However, my personal opinion is that it would be a shame not to visit at least one hallmark destination. Given your experience with the Niagara Falls I would strongly suggest cuting one night from your BA visit to spend 3 nights in El Calafate (glaciers).

vinod s

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Roberto.

Is El Calafate accessible for tourists in September? From what I have read, tourist facilities are minimal during this time. Will there be tour buses or package tours to the glaciers at this time? Any suggestions?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1727
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Those sources that state that September has limited offering do not sound reliable. Please post the source. There are some limitations at the peak of winter July/August for just a few weeks. Besides, the glaciers are accessible all year round. Common sense dictates that is better to see them when days are longer and not shorter. By the way, the famous bridge already broke (July) which is one of the main attractions that happens every 4 years or so. The prior 2 times actually happened in periods of 2 years or so apart.

(Message edited by admin on August 04, 2008)

vinod s

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was referring to Frommer's Guide and Footprint Guide - both indicated that due to extremely cold temperatures, tourist services are minimal. In fact, I am looking for flights during that time and none of the airlines seem to be offering any. Either they are completely sold out (hard to believe) or they are not operating during that time. Can you suggest any airlines that I should look? I checked LAN and Aerolina Argentina

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1733
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Flying is problematic "these days" because of the ongoing nationalization of aerolineas argentinas and what this implies. Which specific dates you have in mind? Our office is closed now but I will post rates/availability tomorrow morning...

richard cooperman
Username: Eroica38

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hmm, I am planning on using Aerolineas Argentinas to fly to/from Mendoza this coming January. What is going on? Should I be concerned??

vinod s

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Richard - I found flights from October though. So, I guess you are ok, but it's better to check in advance. January is a high season anyway, so it doesn't hurt to book in advance.

Robert - it would be great to post any schedules you may find. At the moment, I am dropping the plans of going anywhere else. We'll just spend time in Buenos Aires - and chill :-)

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Vinod, Aerolineas Argentinas has many seats and planes for September for Calafate. Just as an example, for Sept. 15th there are several seats on the flight AR2804v at u$d 678 plus taxes roundtrip per person (foreigners' price).

Richard, I wouldn't be too concerned. At present, flights are not being cancelled. Bear in mind though, Congress must approve the nationalization of the airliner and some conflicts are expected. Most likely, you will be ok.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration