Study abroad in Mendoza then then a m... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Study abroad in Mendoza then then a month in BA? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin Cheong
Username: Repeatx3

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hola Roberto!

My name is Kevin and I have stumbled across this forum and was very fortunate and glad I did. I will be studying abroad in Mendoza over the summer from the middle of May to the end of June so that is about 6 weeks. After that, I wanted to stay another month in Argentina and just explore the country (round trip tickets from Hawaii costs about $2000 to Argentina so I definitely want to see and learn all that I can about the country!)

I have no Spanish background at all, very little background in Italian. Through the study abroad program in Mendoza, I will be taking intensive Spanish language courses and be living with a host family. I'm hoping that because of the immersion in Argentinian culture that I can grasp very basic Spanish relatively quickly.

After spending 6 weeks with my host family, I was thinking about going to BA for a month and basically exploring from there. I am very friendly and I love meeting new people and getting to know them! I saw your recommendations to rent an apartment and I don't know if it is better for me to jump around from hostel to hostel or just base everything off a central location.

If at all possible, I would definitely like to check out Machu Picchu in Peru. Any comments and suggestions are appreciated! Thank you!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1605
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kevin, welcome! Since you are coming from far away I'd say, yes, visit Cuzco and Machu Picchu for sure. You can't leave South America without that stop. Bear in mind you may need to spend a few days in Cuzco, which I recommend, and then ideally walk the inca trail -another three days if you really want to enjoy it-.

Given your personality it appears a hostel is a better choice. I recently spent time in San Telmo, a southern neighborhood in the city and was suprised by the amount of foreigners. A member here -Larry Rogers- rents a large house with many bedrooms right there. That can also be a good choice. And I stop here. I think if you meet the right people while in BA you will get much better advice on what to do and where to go. And take into account the weather... July is winter here.

Kevin C.

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you Roberto.

Looking like 3 weeks in Argentina followed by a week in Peru. I have tried looking for flight prices between cities but they turned out to be more expensive than I thought. Is riding a bus a good cheaper alternative for traveling long distances?

Yes, I had heard that the our summer time is your winter time. I checked out the temperatures from the last few years and they seem to be around the 45-60 degree ranges.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1608
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Inland flights aren't cheap and there is current 40% increase in rates being discussed. Not good. For traveling between arg cities, yes, buses is a great alternative. To Machu Picchu you will have to fly. When planing your trips from Buenos Aires bear in mind the short days during winter, specially if you want to visit Patagonia.

Richard Graham
Username: Richg

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kevin,

If have not already found this site this is one of the most useful resources for planning bus trips etc.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum.jspa?f orumID=22

Bus travel is certainly possible from Argentina to Cusco, but it takes time and a sense of adventure! But it's fun! If you cut your time in Buenos Aires a bit you could do it no probs and experience some fantastic stuff on the way to Cusco. Notably Salta, the Salt Falts in Boliva, La Paz and up to Cusco via Copacabana.

This trip really gives a nice insight into South America. I think we all love Buenos Aires for so many reasons, but time spent on experiencing Bolivia and the prehispanic stuff is very much worth it.

Have fun!

Kevin C.

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you all for the information and the resources.

I have a month left to plan out what I want to do with my stay, and the information provided was invaluable.

I'll keep this thread updated with my plans!

Gracias!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration