Best Place for 2-3 month writing sabb... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Best Place for 2-3 month writing sabbatical? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rick Emmons
Username: Rick1066

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Great forum!

I'm a book, and I'm looking for a place where I can get lot of writing done, along with exercise.

Here is my situation/requirements:

1) Will be in Argentina starting early April for 2-3 months
2) Ideally I'd like to be outside of Buenos Aires...I'm looking for something relatively quiet, but still in a small city/town, within walking distance of cafes, shops, etc.
3) Someplace close to natural beauty so I can get some hiking in.
4) Also interested in taking Spanish lessons (I speak no Spanish).
5) Would prefer to rent a house rather than a condo/flat, but am open on this point.

Any advice suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks much.

Rick

Rick Emmons
Username: Rick1066

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

As a follow up to this, I'm seriously considering Mendoza, but am open minded.

Also, anyone who knows of specific places for rent, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Jaquelin Dunaiewsky
Username: Jackyd

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Rick,

I recommend you a beautiful Estancia where you can enjoy the contact with the nature and will have the privacy to write alone. There you can ride horses at your free time. And near there you will be able to play golf if you like. I think that will be a perfect combination or exercise and quiet place.
It's a perfect and quiet place which its name is Estancia La Margarita. 7 kilómeters far from there there is a small town where you can fine local shops.
I'm sure you will love it.

Best Regards,
Jaquelin

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 202

Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Rick, remember in argentina there are 3 main types of rents

Very short term: a few nights to a week or so

Short-mid term - month by month - usually furnished - not so cheap and usually more expensive...geared twoards people involved in projects, companies, etc....

Long term - usually 2 year rental conracts - usually unfurnsihed, that you can get out of after 6 months with a 1 month or 2 month penalty..negotiable...

Check the newspapers online Los Andes and Diario Uno for short and short-mid term, and for long term check also the newspapers, one of the local MLS's http://www.inmoclick.com.ar/, check the chamber of realtors www.mendozacim.com.ar and check with Leandro Suarez, a mendoza real estate agent who posts on this forum. Agents typicaly charge a fee equiv. to 1 month rent - very traditional. Good luck!

Arial
Intermediate Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 172

Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rick, if you need to do any research via internet, better check the Internet availability. Mendoza is probably okay. But you would hardly believe how slow connections are in some other areas. I just spent some time in Cafayate for example. A tech man there told me the only way is a satellite for $400 a month. You can get online otherwise but it is sllllooooooow.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration