First trip - 9 days in September. Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » First trip - 9 days in September. « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JC W
Username: Yqc7487

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am glad that I have found this forum for all the useful information.

I am planning a trip to Argentina from 8/29 to 9/7 for total of 9 full days with my husband.
It¡ås our first trip to South America and we are excited.
For our first trip to Argentina, we are looking forward to see the culture, history, and people.
We are planning on visiting BA, Iguzuan Fall, and Colonia.
We don¡åt want to waste too much traveling from point A to point B since we only have 9 days for this trip and we don¡åt want to feel like we are rushed in each destination either.

It will be greatly appreciated if someone can answer these questions for me:

1. Is 3 destinations in 9 days manageable? How should we distribute the time in these 3 places?
How many days should we spend in Iguzuan Fall? Does Colonia require an overnight stay?

2. Is it possible to plan the trip from BA to Iguzuan Fall by ourselves? Or is it better to have travel agent to book everything for us?
Should we book the airline tickets now? Or is it too early to book the tickets now? Does it make any difference to go to Iguzuan Fall during the weekday or weekend in turns of flight and hotel price? Is there any websites that I could find more travel information about Iguzuan Fall, such as the excursion, the transportation from Airport to the hotel, and etc?

3. We both don¡åt speak any Spanish, is that going to be an obstacle for our traveling?

4. We would love to stay in an apartment during our visit in BA, is it too early now to book the apartment? When would be a good time to start looking? Does it make the financial sense to book the apartment for the whole 9 days duration and use the apartment as our base even when we are staying in Iguzuan Fall and possibly Colonia?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

JC W, welcome!

#1. YES.

3 nts BA
3 nts Iguazu
1 or 2 nts Colonia
1 or 2 nts BA

Colonia does not require staying overnight. You can do it in a day but many people stay the night.

#2. Yes, possible. If you need the air tickets it might be easier to have some agent issuing those for you locally. But you can always get the overnight bus and plan the excursions upon arrival. In this case, you may want to consider 4 nts instead of 3, just to give you some elbow room (late arrival of buses, finding accomodations, transfers, guides, etc). In the past, members here posted that they did this by themselves without a problem but I am not sure how much time they allotted.

#3. You may have some minor obstacles only. In general, most service providers will speak the minimum necessary and the guides will be fluent in english. This is in Iguazu. In Buenos Aires you may find a mixture. No problems at hotels but slight problems with cabs, for example. However, I think most non-spanish speakers end up handling this.

#4. I am not an insider when it comes to apartment rentals but I think it is never too early as BA is usually fully booked. My recommendation is that you nail down this part of your trip soon. Booking the whole 9 days makes sense. You need a beach head. This will give you the flexibility you need. You can then decide to come back earlier from Iguazu or stay longer in Colonia or change the dates for the destinations. It will minimize your bookings and your transfers, plus you may discover nice cafes to have breakfast in the mornings, etc...

(Message edited by admin on February 12, 2008)

Dolores
Username: Dolores

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,

I would recommend going to www.argentinahealthguide.com and click onto apartment rentals. They have a great listing of available apartments.

(Message edited by admin on February 20, 2008)

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1524
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dolores, I don't do this often but went to that site and couldn't find anything but health related articles. Help me see that this is not a spam attempt. Thanks.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, I was finally able to meet Dolores Ashland here in Buenos Aires and learn more about her fascinating work and her projects in Argentina. I was really surprised with the amount of time she spent working on her site A health guide to Argentina. In that gathering, I also had the pleasure to meet David Cummings who runs and owns Estancia La Margarita together with other real estate enterprises one of which relates to the apartment sales in Buenos Aires, as Dolores pointed out earlier.

Hopefully, David or Dolores will share with us some pictures they took on a recent visit to the estancia!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration