Guide me please Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Guide me please « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nadia
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,

My sister and I are planning to vacation in Argentina from February 23, 2006 to March 9, 2006. We would like to see Buenos Aires, Iguazu Falls and the Glaciers. We've checked out the cost of flights from LA-Rio Gallegos-BA-Iguazu-LAX and found one for $1074.00/person. Is this a good price?

Also, where would you recommend that we stay at each of these places? Should we stay at hostels? or how about the ranches? We are pretty low maintanence and don't care for the luxury hotels. We'd rather spend our money on activities.

In terms of our schedule, we plan to stay in Iguazu and Rio Gallegos for about 5 days and 3 days in Buenos Aires. What activities should we take in at each of these places? What areas should we check out? BTW, how is the weather at each of these places during this time?

Any guidance would help.

Thanks,
Nadia from LA

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Nadia and welcome!
Ranches will probably be more expensive and the opposite for a low maintenance person. In a ranch, your host will be the owner offering a very personalized service. I sense that you want to be left by yourself and do your own thing. For this a hostel will be ideal but, unfortunately, I have little information on them. The price you got for that air route is pretty competitive. In Iguazu make sure you visit not only the falls but also the ruins of San Ignacio and the Wanda mines. The latter (both San Ignacio and Wanda combined) will take all day so it is recommended to spend 3 nights there. In Ushuaia, a 2 nights visit will suffice to visit the National Park and ride on the little train tour. In Buenos Aires, just hanging out in cafes, walking the streets and visiting a few neighborhoods like La Recoleta, Palermo and Barrio Norte will do. You will have more activities than time will allow to. While in Baires, it will be nice to see a tango show and perhaps visit a ranch half day to understand better our roots, even though this sounds a bit *turisty*. It will be like going to NYC and not visiting MoMA.

Nadia
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Robert thanks for your reply. Got a few more questions for you.....

As great and convenient as the all inclusive tour packages are, my sister and I don't want to book any because we'd rather have the luxury of having our own flexible schedule to do what we want when we want. We're thinking of booking our flights and waiting to book any tours or activities until we get to our destinations. Would you advise against this? We figure in Buenos Aires we can just plan a tentative schedule on our own for which places we want to explore. And as for Iguazu and the Glaciers, of course we'll do a guided tour but do you think we'll have any problems with booking it when we get there?

And also, as part of our flight itinerary, we may be flying into Rio Gallegos. How far is this from El Calafete and/or Perito Moreno? How would you recommend we travel within this area? Aside from taking a tour, can we rent a car? How easy is it to navigate in this are and would this be costly/worthwhile alternative? Should we be concerned about our safety when traveling alone without a group?

Lastly, how is the weather? Obviously I know it'll be cold at Perito Moreno but how about BA and Iguazu?

Thanks,
Nadia

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nadia, you should definitely book your flights. I would suggest to have some accomodation bookings in place too. As for activities, you can possibly take the risk and discuss this with a travel agent or anyone at your place of stay while in Argentina. It is a little risky in that you may have to wait until you get what you want, but on the other hand you may gain in freedom of movement. If you are willing to take the risk -and perhaps lose here and there without complaining- then, yes, waiting may be a valid course of action. I personally think that Iguazu will have many tours/guides available. Glaciers I am not sure. Many large european groups visit continuously and it is so far away that it will be a shame to run into trouble. Iguazu is different than the glaciers in that there is always "something else" to do. The glaciers area is inhospitable and there may only be one ship for some of the glaciers. Upsala comes to mind.

The distance between Rio Gallegos and Calafate is approximately 185 miles. Perito Moreno is in El Calafate. You can check all distances in Argentina on this page. If you want to rent anything it will have to be a 4x4. I am not sure if it is a worthwhile experience unless you are looking for adventure and have the time. Driving through these roads is not that easy. Many -and sometime long distances- are composed of pebble. If you are two girls stuck in the middle of nowhere with just sheep around you what are you going to do besides offering them in sacrifice to the God of fear? It depends entirely on what you want out of your trip. Are you an adventurous person? And do you have the time?

As for safety, no problems at all. You will be fine. Weather. You can look here all historical weather paterns Iguazu weather, Calafate weather, weather in Buenos Aires. and on this page you can find current weather for any argentine city.

Heather Schmidt
Username: Featherh

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,
I'm trying to plan a trip to SA next summer in July. I think I will only spend 2 weeks in Argentina and know that I want to spend time in BA, Mendoza & Iguazu Falls.
I think that I will spend 4 nights in BA, 2 nights at the Falls, and 3 nights in Mendoza. I will have about 4 more days available.
What other destination do you recommend I should see with the extra days? I am flexible and can add a day or two onto the trip if I need extra time. Looking at the past posts I probably will fly to the Falls but bus it to the remaining destinations.
Thanks

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 155
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome Heather! A reminder, July will be winter in Argentina. This is ok for Iguazu but Mendoza will probably be very cold specially in the high mountain. You are likely to see snow and the tours to wineries may not be as comprehensive as if you were visiting at other times. The range of activities you will be able to enjoy in Mendoza narrows down to skiing, basically. If cold weather and snow are fine with you then I will venture to Bariloche for the remainder of your trip. You can spend 4 nights there and complete your 2 weeks. Bariloche also has the advantage of offering many attractions so if you wish to extend your trip you can always do that. Many people just stay en entire week down there. Hope this helps.

Nadia
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello again Roberto,

Okay so renting a vehicle doesn't sound too great of a plan to me. Are there tours or other ways to get to El Calafete from Rio Gallegos? As I said, the multi-destination flight that i found for the competitive price unfortunately was a flight into Rio Gallegos NOT El Calafete. Do you think its worth it to fly into Rio Gallegos? I mean is there anything worth doing or seeing in Rio Gallegos since we may be flying into that area?

Also, you mentioned in your last reply that Iguazu is different from the glaciers in that there is always "something else" to do. This being said, do you think spending 5 days at the glaciers is too long?

Nadia

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nadia, there is a bus that can take you from Rio Gallegos to El Calafate but I don't have the information handy. You can also fly. I believe the bus trip is about 4 1/2 hours. Honestly, Rio Gallegos is not that interesting as a turist destination, at least, not as interesting as the other places you can visit while down there. If I were you I would split those 5 days by staying 3 nights in Calafate and then flying for 2 nights to Ushuaia and back to Rio Gallegos, since you must fly later to Buenos Aires.

brenda freer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

we are planning a trip of 4 weeks in january. we intend to spend a few days in BA, and would like to visit other main tourist sites in argentina, including Mendoza, San Juan and Catamarca, possibly valles Calchaquies and Quilmes, and Iguazu falls. if there is time left, we could also visit Calafate and Ushuaia. last year we selected 3 areas in chile, flew between these centres and hired cars when we could. this worked well. can you suggest an itinerary to do much the same in argentina.our interests are very much outdoor, walking and visiting places on foot, so we like to allow sufficient time for this activity. can you help?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 165
Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Brenda, working out on this forum a complex itinerary like the one you mentioned will not be fair to our paying clients. The goal of this forum is to clarify some aspects of our culture and provide some insights that will hopefully help visitors make the most of their stay in Argentina. Having said this, I would uncheck Catamarca and possibly San Juan, while devoting more time to Mendoza. For Iguazu you need a maximum of 3 nights. For southern Patagonia, I would do 2 nights in Ushuaia and 3 in Calafate. Mendoza offers *great* outdoors activities as well as very nice wine tours. I would then consider the Valles Calchaquies and do the 3 provinces, Tucuman, Salta and Jujuy. The rest of the time you will spend either driving or flying. A possible route would be: BA - Iguazu - Valle Calchaquies - Mendoza > Back to BA. Then, fly BA-Ushuaia-Calafate-BA. Hope this helps some.

Brenda Freer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Test

Lindsey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am planning a two week trip to Argentina in November. I have not settled my itinerary and am interested in suggestions for lengths of time to spend in various places. Obviously we will spend time in Buenos Aires, then we plan to head to Bariloche to do the Andean lake crossing to Chile. We are hoping to then meet up with some friends to do some hiking in the south before heading back to Buenos Aires. Any advice on how to split time?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 390
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lindsey, a lot depends on where you want to do your hiking. Is it in Chile? in Bariloche, or even further south? Bariloche has many, many attractions and if you are an outdoor person you can easily stay for 7 nights and want to 'come back for more'. Many visits/excursions take an entire day and it is always possible to spend the night in nearby towns like San Martin de los Andes. Even Villa La Angostura can be overnighted. If the hiking takes place in Chile, you may want to rearrange your itinerary for at least 4 nights there.

Your trip appears to be focused on Patagonia/outdoors, thus your time in Buenos Aires may be kept at a minimum, 2 nights at the start of your trip and a last day for shopping on your return.

val kay
Username: Valkay

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto , we are considering a trip by bus from Mendoza to Santiago de Chile.
Some of the posts state that the view is breathtaking.

Would you have any thoughts or recommendations.

We are shooting for mid DEC and already booked a room in Club Tapiz in Mendoza .

I would like to know if these buses run during the day .Do they have a deluxe service , how long does it take,and how much does it costs.
Do you know of any links that could be useful.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 473
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Val, you should try contacting the bus company TAC (Transporte Automotor Cuyo). On this link you can see down at the bottom Coche N* 295 which makes the international route Mendoza - Santiago. I am not sure about schedules and costs, but the one in the picture is a 'coche cama' meaning you may have flat beds and dinner/breakfast service. It is my understanding that there are daily buses departing from Mendoza and I don't know if they travel by day or night.

The trip Buenos Aires - Santiago - Buenos Aires (probably stopping at Mendoza) costs usd $100 for the medium service so it looks prices are inexpensive. The central office is located in Buenos Aires and their phone number is 4312-7012, and in Santiago: 4214108

Riyad Anabtawi
Username: Riyada

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi .. I made the trip by car from Medoza to Chile.. And yes the views are breathtaking. You wont be able to stop every now and then for picture taking, if you go with a regular bus. Will you be coming back to Mendoza, if so rent a car.. or take a private driver. The drive takes approx. 5 hours or so..
Cheers

Laura Zurro
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Also, if you decide to drive, do be careful, as the road is full of sharp twisty turns and breathtaking views as well as there are cliffs that drop right off the side of te road. Also be careful for all the crazy truckdrivers that come blasting down the mountains behind you. I spent a lot of the drive enjoying the views but other times with white hands clutching the door jamb!

oh and one more thing, watch out for dead cows and horses or loose ones wandering the roads.

laura
http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com

val kay

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto , what is the actual web site of TAC , I am not able to access their site using your link.

Riyad Anabtawi

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Laura
That is precisely why I wouldn't take a bus, and place my life in the hands of a woodbe useless driver.. as many of these bus drivers are..

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 479
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Val, I just called their offices in Retiro. The only way to reach them is by phone (or in person). Their hours are from 8 am through 10 pm 7 days a week and when you call there is an option for "international tickets" which is the one you need... Not sure where you are calling from but the local number I dialed is 4312-7012 (alternatively, 4313-3632).

I can't judge the benefits of driving versus taking a bus or viceversa. Many times, the roads themselves are very narrow so driving through the mountains is not like driving through the flatlands of the pampas. Just a month ago, a bus fell down through the precipice in Chile, in the Andes. Apparently, no fault from the driver who was trying to skip an incoming vehicle from hitting him... but what Laura and Riyad mentioned is something to take into account.

(Message edited by admin on May 28, 2006)

val kay

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto, thanks for the info .No I would not trust an unfamiliar rental car in un familiar hairpin mountain road , with unpredictable local drivers. I had some bad experiances driving in Brazil and elswhere.
I am aware of the bus accident in Chile you alluded to and am very concerned relative to the issue of safty .Do you know if TAC has a decent reputation? how about an outfit like Andesmar.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 482
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I really can't say, except that they are both well-known, established companies and have extensive routes all throughout the nation.

I would personally buy tickets from them if I ever decide to make any of these trips by bus, but this doesn't mean that there may be a few careless drivers among their crews. This, noone can know or anticipate.

You must not forget we have a less than stellar driving history in Argentina. Just today, one local newspaper published an article about the record killings happening in the streets of Buenos Aires (by car accidents). On January, a bus from Andesmar was involved in an accident in San Antonio Oeste on its way to Salta (from Buenos Aires) but it happens that the driver was being overcome by another vehicle cirdulating in the opposite lane. Was the Andesmar driver at fault? Probably not.

Generally speaking, once you hit the road here -any road-, you are always in danger no matter who drives, you or a bus driver.

val kay

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Roberto , you were quite helpfull.I will call TAC tomorrow.

val kay

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto ,would you be able to help me in finding more about a day trip (from B.A. )to Colonia Uruguay . I hear that there is a day tour on a fast boat that goes there and that it is worth while day trip.

Thanks

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 488
Posted on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Val, for a day tour to Colonia you must get to the port on your own (easy), then upon arrival to Uruguay a bus/van awaits for visitors. They take you for a short sight-seeing, then there is a walking tour through the old town (very small), later visitors have lunch, then some more walking, a visit to the local flea market and around late afternoon the tour is over.

This can be done either on the express ferry or the slow one. The fast one makes the trip in about 45 minutes, the slow ship takes about 3 hours. In my opinion, it is worth the trip. Colonia is very pretty and transpires history. I would do this for sure.

Ferry leaves at 9 am and returns at 6 pm, usd $52, with lunch + city tour.

val kay

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Roberto ,You are indeed very helpfull.I did find the ferry's web site ( Buquebus ), it has all the information I need.

I have one more question for you ; I was looking at HOME hotel in Palermo for a six night stay,it seems to have very good reviews , what is your take .Is it in a good location .

Val

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 489
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Depends on what kind of experience you are looking to have... I could not find their address and had problems on their site with the flash movie. Where are they located in Palermo? Can you post their address?

Looks like a small design hotel... It'll probably be more personal and laid back than staying at a four seasons.

val kay

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto, they are located in the Hollywood section of Palermo,I think, at Honduras 5860 .

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 490
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Val, I am back from Home Buenos Aires hotel...

Uh... I used to work in the area about 16 years ago, then, I left my country so it was really nice to go back to that part of the city to check it out (thank you for asking about the hotel). That part of Palermo used to be a somewhat rundown, middle-class neighborhood (very humble) but in the last 4 or 5 years some pioneers started a revamping effort. Today, it is a more picturesque place. It combines the old 1 story, average houses with small, upscale shops and restaurants among which you can also find small boutique hotels such as Home. This added a more bohemian outlook to the area as well as a mixed crowd...

All in all, I liked the experience very much and if you are into experiencing a different Buenos Aires this may be for you. As I said, you will be able to see a classic middle class (minus) neighborhood sprinkled with some sophistication making it a unique place. Palermo Hollywood has kept the taste of the old "barrio" modernized with class.

It took me less than 20 minutes to get there from downtown at 2 pm. At rush hour add 10/15 more minutes. The taxi was just a little more than 3 dollars and to come back almost usd $4. It is a quiet place, away from the most visited places like La Recoleta or downtown or Retiro / Plaza Francia, and this for some may be a plus.

The hotel itself is 'delicious'. It has been designed with taste and every single detail counts. Anyone staying there will feel at 'home' and very comfortable. I spent about 20 minutes in there checking the back pool (winter here, so not much use) and the garden, the bar with perhaps 10/12 small tables and the 3 floors. Just so that you can picture this better I ordered a small coffee at the bar (happy hour from 7pm-10pm) and instead of getting the classic 'pocillo', they served it in a nice glass over a wooden table, decorated with 2 tiny brownies ($1.25).

Somewhat pricy but possibly worth it. The cheapest rooms are at $115/night and the most expensive ones at $290/night. I couldn't see any of the rooms because they were all occupied which may tell you something.

As for security, I'd say the area may be somewhat dark at night but probably not more, not less dangerous than any other part of the city. At this time, you must be carefull anywhere you go and I would not deter myself from staying at 'Home' just because of security reasons. On the other hand, having many shops, pubs and restaurants nearby the whole area may get enough of a crowd that adds to safety (police perhaps).

At walking distance there are many places to eat, all designer and upscale looking but not pricy. A block away, you can eat some pasta/pizza in a small place set up nicely for not more than usd $4 per person. Just 3 or 4 blocks away you can eat sushi and so on... The same hotel had a lunch/dinner service where the most expensive dish was priced at usd $6 (all sandwiches either chicken, fish or filet).

Finally, if you do decide to stay at HOME you must visit (even in passing) the bar at the corner of Bonpland and Honduras (a block away). This bar is not a designer one, not a turisty one but a classical Buenos Aires bar (and hang out) that must have been there for at least 3 decades, if not more. You will get a real waiter and a real "medialunas con cafe" in a place that is becoming extint very rapidly.

Briefly, this could be a nice -though different- experience.

(Message edited by admin on May 30, 2006)

val kay

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto, after staying in the Sheraton and the Claridge on previous trips to B.A. I feel ready for some different experience .

Hotel HOME sounds good to me.

Thank you very much for a very comprehensive assessment of the hotel and the neighborhood.

Val.

Rebecca Price
Username: Bex

Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi everyone

Hoping you can help me, I will be in Agentina during Dec 06 and Jan 07. Already planning to go to the falls and Mendoza. As part of my ticket I have flights included to Rio Gallegos. Unfortunately they are a week apart. What sort of itinerary could I follow for one week down south, returning to Rio Gallegos. Budget is a bit of an issue too, cant really go over about 40 UK pounds a day. Is this impossible!! Thanks Bex

Tom Woodson
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Rebecca.
You are going at a peak travel period. It is summer and all the families are not just on Christmas Vacation but their summer holidays from School just like the US in June and July.

I think you can find something to do with your budget. The pound is very strong against the peso, this morning 5.67 to $1. The dollar sign is is the sign in Argentina for pesos. The dollar is accepted everywhere. I suggest you carry a couple hundred pesos and the rest dollars if you are carrying money. the best way is to use an ATM card and get pesos when you need to. Most banks have ATM's at least in Buenos Aires province.

I would make sure I book lodging early where ever you go. It will fill up fast there. They plan well ahead.

The falls and Mendoza are in the western portion of the country. I have not visited there. So I cannot help you with your travels other than use common sense.

During your down time, Take an overnight bus to Beunos Aires or one of the other cities.

Keep in touch. I may be down there myself at that time and I will show you one of our estancia's. I can book you travel to them. The main one is about half way between Bahia Blanca and Santa Rosa. And we have one on the coast a couple of hours from Buenos Aires. At either one you can try all kinds of stuff geared toward mountains or the ocean according to which you chose, or do both.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 526
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rebecca, welcome.

As Tom said, it is a busy time. Fortunately, only the last two weeks of your trip may become more stressful. The first two/three weeks of December would still be quite as most argentines start their vacations on Jan 1st. A few families who can afford it will close shop a week earlier and make a bundle with Christmas and New Year.

Iguazu Falls are actually on the northeastern part of the country whereas Mendoza lies at the valley of the Andes, to the west. They are about 2000 km apart (approx. 1300 miles).

May I ask why are you flying into Rio Gallegos? Is this for a trip to Calafate as your final destination? Have you checked into visiting Tierra del Fuego as part of your deep patagonia visit?

Please post your itinerary here so that we can get a clearer picture. As Tom correctly said, if you are in pounds you need not worry about stretching your money.

Rebecca Price
Username: Bex

Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 4:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Tom, Roberto.

I have a round the world ticket and in that I can get free flights, I had to pick them ages ago and went for a return to Rio Gallegos. They have just changed the flight schedule so I now have a week between my Buenos Aires --> Rio Gallegos and return Rio Gallegos --> Buenos Aires flights. The original intention was to visit Calafate but I dont think that will take a week. Any suggestions for an itinerary and activities for the week that ensure I get to see any highlights the area has to offer would be greatly appreciated as I've been having trouble putting together the various possible options from websites.

Good news about the holidays not starting until 1st Jan and yes, my local currency is Sterling pounds.

Thanks!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 535
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rebecca, I am afraid Rio Gallegos doesn't offer much in terms of tourism. I'd say you can do 3 nights in Calafate and 3 nights in Ushuaia and you will be almost covered. In Calafate, you will of course visit the glaciers and in Ushuaia you can visit the national park and ride the little train (to the end of the world) as well as visiting lakes Uspala and Onelli.

If you need help putting this together you can just email Erna at erna@travelsur.net and she will be happy to give you an estimate.

melissa stanford
Username: Melis5

Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello! Thank you for creating such an informative website. What a great resource!

I am planning a honeymoon this year for 18 days in in Argentina arriving (from Chicago) Oct 31st and departing BA on Nov 17th.

We love adventure but want this to be romantic. Do you feel the below intinerary will be too hectic?

I am also struggling with the order of our visit. Does it make more sense to go to Ushuaia first in other words reverse order? I am sorry for all the questions. What is the best way to get from Mendoza to Bariloche? Is there one webpage that provides distances of bus routes and/or flights?

BA 3nts
bus to Mendoza 3 nts
Bariloche 4 nts
fly to Calafate 3nts
fly to Ushuaia 3 nts
fly to BA 1nt

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Warm Regards,
Melissa

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 553
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Your itinerary looks great and needs no change. This is something I would suggest. And the destinations you have chosen are all very romantic. You alloted plenty of time to each place and you should not feel this a hectic trip.

As I see it, the only thing to solve will be the route Mendoza-Bariloche. You have almost 1300 km to travel and you could conceivably do this overnight but I am not completely sure. I recommend that you contact the 2 bus companies that work this area:

ANDESMAR S.A. (5411) 4313-3650 / 4242
LA NUEVA CHEVALLIER (5411) 4000-5255

Alternatively, you should add the one way trip Mendoza-Buenos Aires-Bariloche. With two stops and connections, you may be better off doing this by bus.

(Message edited by admin on June 20, 2006)

Tom Woodson

Post Number: 46

Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You can figure at least 1 hour per 100 kilometers but you have to remember if you travel by bus, they make stops, 1300 kilometers is a long way. And another thing, all bus lines here are not equal. If La Nueva Chevallier is the same as Chevallier, only a new name, their buses are not that comfortable. Andesmar is not know for having the best buses either.

there are some very good bus lines out there, Nandu del Sur is very good. there are others. A 1300 kilometer trip on an uncomfortable bus is not very nice.

I wish you the best on this trip.

Hasta Luego
tom

ruggero
Username: Bart

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

why not taking a plane? BA to Mendoza takes like 12 hours of travelling and the landscapes, after a few hours turns repetitive. I've made BA mendoza driving and I was able to make it in a non-stop 8,5 hours, departing from BA at 12:00 and arriving 8:30 PM to Mendoza city limits, (and I could take less time, but a storm -a heavvy one- stopped me almost arriving), but I understand that busses can't go faster than 120 km/h If I'm not out of date I remember that bus cost around 120 pesos and travel in airplane around 300 pesos. (as said, not updated info)

Riyad Anabtawi

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Roberto
A constructive criticism is in place here, if you dont mind.
And that is to try to break down so many messages that are under just one title or subject, and distribute them somehow under different subjects.
This section here for example has tons of messages and I am sure they have different subjects.
It becomes more user friendly that way for everybody.
Hope I made some sense..
Cheers

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 554
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Riyad, it does make a lot of sense. I did what you suggested a few times -splitting topics- but members never followed through. Also, new posters will drop a new inquiry in an old thread instead of starting a new one... I think part of the problem for people not starting a new thread when it is called for, it's because they may not see the 'start new thread' link at the bottom. Customizing this script is really weird and that's one I am missing.

Anyway, no more excuses. I should do as per your suggestion and start breaking up subjects...

val kay

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

test

val kay

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto, are US issued credit cards widely accepted and safe to use in Argentina nowdays.

Say in a restaurant you use your credit card to pay for a 60 peso meal which , as I recall ,is written as $60 .How do you know that it is not going to posted as US$60 against your credit card?

Tom Woodson

Post Number: 78

Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Val

In Argentina the peso sign is $

If something is priced in US dollars it is usually written like this U$A. Pretty smart huh.

I have used visa and master card all over the place and never had a problem. And if you buy it with a credit card you will get the bank rate.

But on some high ticket items you sometimes will pay more if you use a credit card. Not that often but occasionally. You have a choice, pay more or hasta luego amigo.

In my early travels in the land of the Tango I heard this a lot, "it's ok" amd "Tom, this is Argentina." After I realized I was in Argentina and everything was OK, things got a lot easier.

I love Argentina.

Hasta luego
Tom

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 614
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

As usual, Tom's advise is great.

As far as I know, commerce in Argentina can only be done in local currency. You can't even get dollars from ATM machines even if they asked you to choose the currency of your preference. Rest assure you will be charged in pesos and whenever you see '$' it will mean just that, pesos.

val kay

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks .

Val K.

gerard resil
Username: Meckg

Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,

I am planning a trip to Buenos Aires. Would you please recommend and area where I should try and find hotels; I am thinking of the end of september is this a good weather time? what airport should I use?
as far as visiting the city would I have to use taxis or buses?

As you can see Iam completely clueless I stumbled on your site while trying to get info and I hope you might be bale to enlighten me

I thank you in advance for the information.

florencia
Username: Flopy26

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hi Gerard:
in september it is time of spring.The areas that I can recommend are: centro (florida and lavalle street),retiro,la boca,recoleta,las caņitas,palermo,bosques de palermo,san telmo is very famous by the tango.
about the transports is better the taxis than the buses.
somepeople prefer to rent apartments because the people can enjoy all services but each one chooses the one that it likes.
I have something of experience in this, because on the last year I worked in travel agency.
If it is your first visit in buenos aires,the people are nice and the hightlife is very cool! mainly in : las caņitas,recoleta and palermo hollywood.
well,if you need some information conctact me.
LOL!

gerard resil
Username: Meckg

Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you so much Florencia I appreciate you taking the time Muchas Gracias !
:-)))

florencia
Username: Flopy26

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gerard!

you are welcome! where are you from Gerard? please if you need anything else,write me

cheers!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration