You CANT rent a car in B. A.! They DR... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » You CANT rent a car in B. A.! They DRIVE CRAZY! « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Anthony
Username: Sanluisobispo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just thought I'd break the bad news to you all....Unless you have experience driving in some of the "tougher countries" around the world, I suggest YOU DO NOT rent a car here! The driving conditions are among the WORST in the world. (o.k....I havent been to Bangladash, but hey, were still in the Americas!)

Just realize it's very dangerous....YOu should just hire a REMIS service and pay someone else to drive.

Have a good one!

Paul
www.hereicomeargentina.com

Yassine
Username: Chiko

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I totally disagree with many things in your post. Been living here 6 months now, and would say that your comments are highly exaggerated. I am not saying that driving in B.A. is the easiest thing to do, but the way you are talking is implying that it is life threatening, compared to the rest of the Americas?
And what qualifies you to say that it is the WORST in the world? What is that based on? Have you visited all the rest of the world? And anyways, you are not breaking any news to anyone, I would definitely prefer driving in BA then New York city anytime of the year! And what does that have to do with the link to your website? Seems like this post is more of a weak attempt to grab attention and get people to check out your business web-site. I mean, since this is your first post, did you register only so you can "break the news" to usÉ Anyways good luck with all your future endeavours, and thank you for your "tip".

elina overstadt
Username: Agustina

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yassine:

While Paul does seem really alarmist...he is right. Check out the UN database...highest passenger and pedestrian fatality rates in the region and in the top 10 in the world. I have lived here a lot longer than 6 months and my recommendation to visitors is to use aremis. Besides the actual driving chaos, parking and control stops can be a real hassle and the cost is probably cheaper.

Yassine

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Elina:

As I mentioned my point is not to deny that Buenos Aires has hectic roads and drivers, but mainly on the way the information is sent out. Driving is different for every person and I would neither tell people they should or should not drive or rent a remis, as everyones experience and driving skills are very different. Been driving 10 years in Montreal, lived in Morocco for 2 years, and after driving in Portugal, I would not say that Buenos Aires scared me anymore than any other of these places. But mind you, some people might not feel comfortable driving in a smaller village. And I also think the use of Bangladesh/The Americas highly unnecessary, but hey, that my opinion.

Cheers

Paul Anthony

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've been living here 14 years and started driving after about 3 months of "observing" what it's like. Call me whatever, but the reality is, you can't just "hop on over" to Buenos Aires and rent a car from the airport and drive to your nice little hotel. You won't make it 10 feet. And it has just gotten worse over the years, NOT better. Now there are record number of cars on the road and record fatalities...I see them everyday when driving home on the Panamericana....JUST TAKE a Remis or Taxi!
And in my website, you'll find lots of info...most of it is NON comercial....and 14 years of experience...

Arial
Intermediate Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 116

Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have to laugh!!! I am afraid I tend to agree with Paul. It isn't just Buenos Aires either. I have ridden with taxi drivers in Bariloche that scared me to death. They will try to fit into any little opening in the traffic ahead--at full speed! How there are as FEW accidents as there are is what amazes me. Even the travel guide book I have for Uruguay warns people about driving in Montevideo. The reason it gives is that Argentines cross the border and drive in Montevideo! One more thing. A sign that would mean "Stop" in other countries is merely a suggestion in Argentina.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1428
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I hate to go on a spy mission but Yassine's remarks together with another post from PA with his signature led me to that. As Yassine said, this actually looks like a vague attempt at spamming masquerade under what would otherwise be useful information.

Paul, you may have non commercial information on your site but you DO run a property management service in BA set up for Vacation Rentals, don't you? As the admin, I can see much more than what anyone thinks and Yassine's first comments have validity. I will let this thread live... and the other one, but I have reservations about your ultimate goals.

Stevie-g
Username: Stevieg

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I wasn´t going to add a comment...but I mine as well...

I have rented a car everytime I have visited Argentina (I now live here and own a car). NYC is worse then BA. Kosovo is by far worse then BA, and Rome is probably just as bad as BA. These are just my opinions. I would never make a comment..."You should not drive in any of these places." I think the original comment is a little off the wall. I have also looked at the "ask Paul" web site some time ago and was not impressed. It makes alot of general statements about Argentina. Some of them are true and some I find not to be true...

STeve

WTMendoza.com
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 93

Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

how exquisitely classic:
"A sign that would mean "Stop" in other countries is merely a suggestion in Argentina. "

richard cooperman
Username: Eroica38

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just got back from a quite pleasant two week stay in Argentina. It included renting a car in Mendoza. We visited several wineries and drove up into the Andes. I learned to drive in New York City. I have rented cars and driven in England, France, Germany, Italy, Czechoslovakia, Canada, Chile, Holland, Norway, Ireland, Mexico, Belgium and all over the USA. I would rate the traffic and driving style I encountered in Mendoza as better than most and certainly very, very manageable. I also rode lots of taxis in BA. I was often amused by the dance-like maneuvering but scared only once - that is waaay better than New York City taxi rides. I would not hesitate to rent a car again and drive in Argentina.

Paul Anthony

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hum....lets see....first of all I never said "you should not drive here"....I ONLY said you should not come here and rent a car without several months of experience....and there is NO ONE that can change my opinion on that. It's dangerous to drive here...period. Just the other day I stopped to help/call an ambulance for a motor bike rider that hit the back of a truck JUST BECAUSE the truck driver didn't want him tailing him! We waited for the ambulance which, took an extra 10 minutes for NO aparent reason...(another GREAT quality of EVERYDAY life here in Argentina)....and the truck driver?....he just took off....and no one caught his license number....

Another comment...What often bothers people about my "opinions" is that I actually say what I feel...directly...and I don't beat around the bush a whole lot! Sure, I could be wrong but after 14 years of living here....there's not a whole lot of details I'm missing. In fact, Stevie....if you find any incorrect information on my website...let me know...I'm sure it's just a typo...

And as far as New York goes...At least if you have a problem there you can call 911 and someone is going to come...ever tried it here?

Stevie-g
Username: Stevieg

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have to say I mispoke, I just finished looking at your site. That was not the site I was refering too. You had (or have) some sort of "ask Paul" site about Argentina you posted on this board awhile ago...that was the one I was speaking of..

I have to say your´new site has some very good information about the realestate process here in Argentina (I own an apartment in Rosario).

I am not trying to argue with you...I just don´t agree with your´opinion about driving here...but I´m sure I have opinions that people disagree with...I don´t want to push the issue but you speak about "your´fourteen years here" My parents are from here and I have been coming here since I was a child (and now live here). The bottom line is every one has their own unique experiences in Argentina and this forms their opinions...no one has to be RIGHT or WRONG...

STeve

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Has anyone tried to drive in El Cairo? Or even cross the streets safely?

--
> "A sign that would mean "Stop" in other countries is merely a suggestion in Argentina."

Arial, I actually had to explain to several police officers why I wasn't stopping at stop signs on my arrival at the US. They couldn't quite understand my argentine logic that the signs only mean 'to slow down'. I learned quickly though.

Yassine

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you Roberto, I am glad you got my point!

Paul Anthony

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Steve...I worked so hard on that website and spent 2 years getting all the info into it....and then sat WITH a web designer to actually make the website myself....which you can tell if you look really close.

But it could very well be that I exagerate about the driving...I just get so disgusted when I see the "same ol thing" every single day going back on the Panamericana...and I admit it...I use forums sometimes as a form of "release" of emotions....I should calm down a bit...

MIchael Calero
Username: Michael795

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If one can drive in New York City , then you can in B's A's , I rented a car and didn't have any problems so it all depends on your skills as a driver. Even finding parking is like NYC in some areas. If you drive a car like individuals do in some parts of Florida (not Miami)or in small towns anywhere in the USA,then you will have a problem. Just a point of info. Don't drive like you are going to church on Sundays as they say.

Try driving in Istanbul now that is crazy.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration