Argentina+Brazil,2Month Trip-Route ad... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Argentina+Brazil,2Month Trip-Route advice please! « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tim
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My friends and I are flying into Buenos Aires and out of Rio, backpacking from 18th Oct until Christmas. We're currently attempting to plan a route to do as much in the two countries as possible, but its proving difficult! We're wondering if certain areas, such as the glaciers in the south, are out of our range due to time and cost. Also we're unsure about the travel into Brazil, seeing the falls, and whether to travel through Uruguay/Paraguay? If anyone can suggest a typical route for a months travel around Argentina, and if possible to journey to and around Brazil it would be very helpful! Thanks.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 141
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tim, I personally circled almost all of Brazil with Iquitos as my starting point in Peru, where the amazon river is born. After traveling for many weeks through the amazon river and reaching the coastal region I embarked on a trip south to the border with Argentina. The trip was done exclusively through all brazilian beaches. This introduction is to let you know that if you are backpacking and will be departing from Rio de Janeiro, you have a great chance to experience some of the best beaches in the world if you travel south by bus and through brazilian small coastal towns (some not so small). Check on this itinerary while traveling south but first a few words about your stay in Rio. While there you MUST visit Buzios and Cabo Frio, in particular, the smaller place of Cabo Frio, although Buzios has better beaches it is in Cabo Frio where you will be able to have fun (and party).

> Angra dos Reis (100 miles south of Rio, composed of 8 bays and thousand of small beaches. It's one of the oldest cities in Brazil).
> Guaruja (San Pablo's closest beach with good surfing possibilities)
> Camboriu (small commercial point with great beaches and great night life)
> Curitiba (interesting point)
> Bombinhas (nice little beach)
> Florianopolis (a "staple" destination for argentines during summers. Florianopolis is a peninsula that has hundreds of great beaches. Lots of things to do and social interaction.)

From here, you can keep traveling south until you reach Uruguay but since your aim is to reach Argentina I would either take a plane to Buenos Aires or cross west to enter Argentina through Misiones, and visit Iguazu Falls both in Brazil and Argentina (route: Florianopolis/Foz do iguazu). If you do this, you can just take a bus straight from Iguazu (in Misiones) to Buenos Aires or a one way flight.

By the time you reach Argentina weather will be just fine to visit the glaciers. A nice route for visiting southern and eastern Patagonia starting in Buenos Aires could be:

Flying to Bariloche
Then Ushuaia/Calafate
To finally fly back to Puerto Madryn, in Chubut.

This route will pretty much cover the most interesting areas of southern Argentina, but if I were doing the same trip backpacking with friends I would do it by bus visiting some of the smaller towns, like

Bus to San Martin de Los Andes
Bus to Villa La Angostura
Bus to Bariloche
Bus to El Bolson
Bus to Esquel
Flight to Ushuaia (southermost point on earth)
Flight to Calafate
Bus to El Chalten (and back to Calafate)
Flight to Trelew
Bus to Puerto Madryn
Bus to Las Grutas (warm water beaches)
Back to Buenos Aires

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration