Hiring a driver/guide Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Hiring a driver/guide « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

judy Arthur
Username: Durhammom

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We will be in the Salta region for 6 days and are thinking about hiring a driver instead of renting a car (there are four of us and from Salta we will be traveling to Purmamarca, Cachi, & Cafayete). Does anyone know what it typically costs to hire a driver and/or have a recommendation? We will also be in Mendoza for 4 days and Cordoba 3 days and would love recommendations for those locations as well!

Pablo Fernando Edgardo
Username: Radlovasky

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi judy, i'm Fernando from Cordoba city, i work and study here, if u want i may give you some info and recommendations about places in cordoba where to go out, good restaurants and some more stuff... ok if u want send me an email to radlovasky@hotmail.com ... sorry bout my english... byebye

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Judy, I will try to have some pricing tomorrow, at least for Salta. Typically, this is done via a travel agent who will book you a driver.

judy Arthur

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto, Thanks! I appreciate that! Do you know of any good English speaking travel agents?

WTMendoza.com
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 67

Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto if you have any Mendoza additinional info, that would be great to post also thanks

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1395
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I will see what I can find tomorrow. Judy, let's wait until others share their experiences with local travel agents... just so that there is some variety of them. Anyone who feels like posting go ahead.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Judy, a private driver in Salta would cost around usd $175 a day. This doesn't include gas or mileage. I will try to narrow it down as much as possible later. I guess you will be paying in direct proportion to your planned road trip. Drivers would also be sort of guides with some english. If noone else recommends a local travel agent fluent in english you can always contact Erna for more information or bookings. She is just one of many travel agents and it will be good if other members can share their own travel agents, just so that readers can access a variety of them.

WTM, I will have the Mendoza information soon.

WTMendoza.com

Post Number: 68

Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

USD 175 a day not including gas or mileage? - WOW - what the heck? Sorry that just blows me away

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1398
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, and I have more bad news :-(

Gas counts as usd .86 per liter. In other words, if the driver uses 50 liters (about 13 gallons) that would mean another usd $43. Very expensive! This comes straight from the agency in Salta so my challenge for today would be for someone to find a better deal.

And in Mendoza we contacted our wholesale operators and none could find any *driver* deals. This actually sounds like a good opportunity for someone bold.

WTMendoza.com

Post Number: 69

Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, gasoline indeed runs about $3.00 usd a gallon - but it has been for 25 years - now it is just under USA and some other international prices...thanks to K's protecionist policies...

Quality licensed drivers I know in Mendoza typically charge 1.50 peso a kilomter and 20 pesos an hour on wait time, or thereabouts . I guess it's fair for travel agencies to need to mark that up..especilly if it falls into a nice custom package and the agent handles it all.

judy Arthur

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto & WTMendoza,
Again, thanks for your infoprmation! I have had two drivers from the Salta area reply and say they would charge $300 per day..for a van or 4 x4, but this would include gas and their lodging & meals. This still seems pretty high. I know we can rent (unlimited milage) a car for around $100 to $130 and a 4 x 4 for $150 to $170 (gas not included). If we end up renting a vehicle should we do it directly through the agency via email, go through a travel agent or just wait until we get there? I'd still love to hear from someone who can make a personal recommendation regarding a guide and/or rental place! Judy

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The only advantage you may have going through a reputable agent would be the ability to get refunded should a problem arise and have some safety regarding drivers. I guess this may justify a markup. But what we found is that there is a large difference in price.

In your case it may not be needed and you could try to find direct deals with service providers. Whatever you do consider the gas... if not included! At high altitudes a 4x4 will eat your pocket. Purmamarca and a good chunk of the northwest are part of the 'altiplano'.

Has anyone tried craiglist for finding drivers?

Benco
Username: Benco

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Half a year ago I was in Salta and did a day trip to Cachi through a tour operator, we were 4 people in the car plus a skilled driver and paid around 100 pesos each, including all costs. When you walk around in Salta there are many travel agencies (e.g. on calle Buenos Aires) who will be happy to book for you the standard tours to Cachi, Cafayate, Humahuaca, the Salt Lakes and so on. The gravel roads in the mountains are dangerous so it is good to have an experienced driver, especially when it rains. It is also nice that the driver will be your guide as well and tell you all sorts of interesting stories.

Maybe the prices have gone up a bit in the meantime... here is the travel agency I used:
http://www.turismolalinda.com/index2.html

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration