Mendoza/Bariloche Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Mendoza/Bariloche « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

W Piccione
Username: Mrspicci

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello. My husband and I want to go to Mendoza (i wanted to stay at the Nuevo Hotel San Francisco but its booked) does anybody have recommendations on where to stay there? Is it worth going to Mendoza if I have no interest in wine?
Also, in Bariloche what is an economical place to stay?
BTW, we want to go in Feb.
Thank you for any suggestions.
Best, Mrs. P

WTMendoza.com
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 36

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Mrs. P

I live just 2km from Hotel Nuevo Hotel San Fran - while some people don't like the smaller rooms (but lot's of rooms!) I love the property - it is a very beautuiful forested lot and classic structure with probably the biggest pool in Chacras de Coria,

There are some other great lodges in Chacras but can range up to $300 pesos or more a night...but some worth it like Lares de Chacras, Finca Adalgisa, and Posada Olivar...it is a great little village and being 25 minutes south of Mendoza City, in a vineyard and forested area sourrrounded with classic wineries..it is beautiful and a nice feel.

We are probably one of the few foreigner families that moved here not for the wine so I can relate. Even if your hussband is into the wine scene, just the gastronomical options alone are great. Great local style and class.

Mendoza has also a nice cultural scene of museums and art exhibits, a nice very wide walking street, with other street shopping zones like Las Heras street, etc.....and the mountan activities are plentiful..horseback, rafting, hiking, etc....with a few hidden nice eateries up there including an under-the-radar beer brewery (jeromes) that serves up a heck of an Austrain authentic sausage with saukraut and excellent brew....

This is Napa years ago ..in the rough..and with real life outdoor and mountain activities...enjoy!..and if you can, invest the hour south to Uco Valley - unforgettable feel and views.

Sugie
Username: Sugie

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi -- I'm wondering if Mendoza is appropriate for kids ages 9-11 as a vacation destination in February?
Thanks.

WTMendoza.com

Post Number: 39

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My wife and I beleive Mendoza is very kid friendly if you focus on the outdoor acitivities, like horseback, rafting, hikling, canopy, rock climbing, etc.

If you come with wine tours on your mind, and kids in tow - there are a few wineries that are kid friendly (big yards - tranquilo) but tricky to manange that task with kids :-) (smiley)

J alston
Username: Jayjay

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone know anything about the Argentino Hotel in Mendoza? We are traveling on a budget, but we still want safe, clean places. We are booked at the Argentino for four nights and are hoping this isn't a mistake. We will be traveling in November. Thank you all for your kind advice.

W Piccione

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi WTMendoza!
Thank you so much for your information, it is super helpful. I really like the idea of going out to the country, mountains and seeing more of Argentina. I will look into those lodging options. A million thanks.-BTW, how far is it from Mendoza to Bariloche via bus?
Gracias,
Mrs. P

W Piccione

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi WTMendoza!
Thank you so much for your information, it is super helpful. I really like the idea of going out to the country, mountains and seeing more of Argentina. I will look into those lodging options. A million thanks.-BTW, how far is it from Mendoza to Bariloche via bus?
Gracias,
Mrs. P

WTMendoza.com

Post Number: 40

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ja Alston, the Hotel Argentino is right on the main plaza Independencia in Mendoza. It is a clean, safe, and well known hotel that is just caddy corner from the Park Hyatt.

Mrs. P, According to Andesmar, it is a 17.5 hour bus ride. 163 pesos for coach and 204 for first class (full bed)
www.andesmar.com

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1356
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

adding to WTM...

Mendoza / Bariloche via bus: 1221 km or approx 750 miles.

(Message edited by admin on October 21, 2007)

Jos
Username: Jos

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I stayed at the Argentino for a few nights in February and again in June. It is a great boutique hotel. You won't regret it.

Sue
Username: Josunae

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello all!
If you had to choose between going to Mendoza for 3 days (taking wine tours, etc.) or going to Bariloche for 3 days, which would you choose?

Thank you!
Sue

Arial
Intermediate Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 131

Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bariloche!!!!

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 126

Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Arial, why Bariloche?
Sue, would you want to do wine tours in Bariloche? or thinking of something else there?

Arial
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 132

Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Mendoza! It's just personal and someone else may well prefer Mendoza.

Bariloche (with Lago Nahuel Huapi and surrounded by mountains) is incredibly beautiful. It has been over a year since I was there and about three years since I lived there so things may have changed. I like the tourist atmosphere with the crowded sidewalks that persist all except for two brief seasons between summer and winter. It seems like something is going on all the time and everyone is there to have fun. The town doesn't sleep. Someone is in the streets all the time.

I like the amateur shows that go on in the street, the places to eat, the chocolate factory and all the chocolate stores where you almost don't have to eat it, you could just stand outside and SMELL it! Delishus!

However, some people don't like it. One man on this forum wrote me that he moved to a town outside of Bariloche because Bariloche was too noisy! It is that! Also, prices were rising last time I was there. It was very reasonable when I lived there but that was changing.

No vineyards I know of. But if someone asks me what I prefer, it would be Bariloche. But Mendoza is a great place. I really like it as well. Also, if a person considers moving to Argentina, there is a problem buying in Bariloche if you are not a citizen of Argentina or Spain, but as far as I know, not in Mendoza.

Richard Graham
Username: Richg

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bariloche is a world class destination for the range of activities, choice of accomodation and restaurants. It is as Arial says set in an incredibly beautiful spot.

If you are looking for somewhere where you get more value for your peso and have a strong interest in wine then Mendoza is the place to head. Mendoza also has a better climate as Bariloche is cool at night.

Both are great for a 3 day visit.

Arial
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 133

Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ahem . . . Bariloche can also be cool in the daytime. If you go there, take a good jacket!

Sue

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you everyone - this has been a great help!

WTMendoza, we love wine regions ~ my husband and I were married in a winery and we toured wine regions in Spain on our honeymoon. We don't drink a lot of it, it's just the wonderful atmosphere of those areas that we were intrigued by when we heard about Mendoza.

However, when we started reading about Bariloche, we were just as intrigued and impressed ~ gorgeous lakes and mountains, phemonenal scenery and, well, Chocolate! :-)

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback. Especially after checking out the airfares, I think we've decided on Bariloche!

Any particularly homey and friendly B&Bs in a quiet and pretty part of town? Or... even an estancia nearby? :-)

Thanks!
Sue

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sue, I think in Bariloche you should look for "hosterias" (Inns). They are homey and friendly and breakfast is served with local jams. I stayed in one called "Casita Suiza" but that was a long time ago. Try reasearching Las Moiras.

Sue

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks again ~

Has anyone stayed in, or seen, Hosteria Los Juncos? Is it close to Llao Llao?

Also... if we wanted to rent a car at the Bariloche airport, is it feasible to drive up to San Martin de los Andes? That is, is it treacherous driving that should be left to professionals or would we (as relatively experienced and safe drivers) be OK?

How long would a drive to San Martin take? I've seen buses that claim to do the trip in 4.5 hours, so could we make a day of it, there and back? If so, any advice or highlights?

thanks!
Sue

Richard Graham
Username: Richg

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sue,

The Hosteria you are looking into is about 5km from Llao Llao.

As you probably know the way from Bariloche to San Martin is part of the Siete Lagos route. You could do it February but there was serious construction work going a few weeks ago. If they do manage to complete it would be a breeze.

Unfortunately I think you would probably wouldn't have enough time to actually get out of the car much to enjoy the views.

Randy Feldhaus
Username: Familiafeldhaus

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My family (wife Karren and 2 children ages 10 and 12) and I arrived in Buenos Aires about 1 month ago and are now moving on to Mendoza. We hope to find a place to rent for 1-2 years while our kids go to school. We would like to find a place within reach of downtown but with a little space around it (a house not an apartment). Any advice on an area with a good school and neighborhood would be very appreciated! Thanks. We also love outdoor activities like hiking and mountain biking if there is a town or neighborhood that is more accessible for that.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1492
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If my information is up to date there are 2 ways of doing this route and the shorter one involves a stretch of pebble road (100 miles) but the common one that goes through Junin de los Andes on paved road is 160 miles. The estimated time seems in line -probably even less in a car- but 8 or 9 hours driving won't live much time to enjoy the scenic view, as Richard noted.

You should leave really early in the morning!

Raymond White
Username: Patos

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sue,
About 4 years ago we took both routes you would take from Bariloche to San Martin. The peeble road mentioned earlier is the Siete Lagos Road. You would reach it from Bariloche by going north and heading west on 231 until just past Villa las Angostura and then turning north on the Siete Lagos Road. The other way is heading north on 237 and going through Junin de los Andes to San Martin de los Andes.
We drove south on the Siete Lagos from San Martin and the first part we thought "what a beautiful drive". Then the pavement ended and we hit the gravel and somewhat washboard type road. It was OK because we just drove slowly but we were happy when we got back to pavement just before Lake Correntoso which is just before Villa Angostura. After a few days in Villa Angostura we drove back to San Martin to stay one more day and then fly out. That was pavement all the way but probably took us a little longer because it required the drive down Lake Huapi on a road that is across the lake from Bariloche.
Both drives were very scenic but very different. The Siete Lagos was through forest with beautiful lakes and part of the way we were along side what I would call a mountain stream. The 237 was along the drier foothills with a river in a canyon and high desert type of scenery. It was much easier driving I must admit.
I think a great trip for varied scenery would be to leave Bariloche and go north on 237 , stay one night in San Martin and then take the Siete Lagos back to Villa Angostura and Bariloche.
That way you could take it easier and get to see San Martin.
The reason we went there originally was the guidebook said that San Martin and Villa Angostura have everything Bariloche has except the touristy crassness. I don't know because we never made it to Bariloche but we tend to go place that we don't run into quite so many tourists. Although both San Martin and Villa have their tourists, it is just on a smaller scale.

Rachel Hoffmann
Username: Rachel

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto,
We are planning a voyage from the 19th of December to 3rd of January (our plane returns on the 5th of January from BA). We will be in Ushuaia on the night of the 19th of December. From there we want to do the Paine Circuit trekking. After we get through the trek we would like to have a look at Aconcagua. Do you know of an inexpensive way of doing this?
Rachel

Jan Lettinga
Username: Heart_of_argentina

Post Number: 12

Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Rachel,

I know a professional guide who organises trekkings to the Aconcagua and if you wish I can bring you in contact with him. In that case please send me a private message.

All the best and have a nice trip in Argentina!

Jan Lettinga

ivan G
Username: Ivagagio

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ciao Rachel :o)
To get the Aconcagua is not very inexpensive Anyway, the most inexpensive way is if you go by yourself. I'll go solo but I'll start on February the 1st (Medium season) If you go before the entrance fee is 330 US$ for 20 days. From Feb 1 it's 220 US$. This is for the Climbing Permission but if you want to make the simple trek it's easy cheaper (around 40 US$) and for sure you don't need any guide!You won't get the top but you'll have some very beautiful views :o)

Go by yourself if you are very well fit. I did the Patagonia in 2007 (180 Km trekking) but over there it's much different...Much Colder and High Altitude. Aconcagua is in a Depression Area and its 7.000 mt are like a normal 7.800 mt

For the Aconcagua ascent you also have to consider the Mountain Equipement (I mean, High Mountain Boots,Sleeping bag for -30C etc.etc)

Guides are really too expensive...they ask minimum 3.000/4.000 US$ for the ascent per person which is absolutelly expensive if you consider the average salary in Argentina. I don't like that cause sometimes they think tourists are Banks. For a 8 persons group they get 24.000 US$ which is the salary of a normal person for 4 years!!!...I mean...in this way in Europe the guides should ask 15.000 US$ per expedition per person and of course they don't ask so much!

So...If you are very well fit, if you have some good aquipment you can go by yourself or you can wait Feb 1 and we go all together.

If you are not well fit and you have no equipment, you can make the 3 or 5 days trekking. It's nice and not hard and you don't need any guide

If you can spend more money (and anyway you have to be very well fit) you can go with a guided tour

Cheers :o)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration