Late Jan / early Feb Argentina Trip..... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Late Jan / early Feb Argentina Trip...suggestions? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe Edwards
Username: Joe_sf

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello. First I'd like to thank you for having this incredibly helpful forum. My girlfriend and I are in the process of planning a trip in Jan and/or Feb - between 17-19 days total. We will fly into BA and (either at the beginning or end of the trip) will spend 2-3 days exploring the city. We are very keen on Patagonia. A friend suggested flying to Calafate and taking a bus into Chile - from there do a 4 day trek through what she called the "W" to see Torres del Paine, etc. We love the outdoors and like to trek, but we're looking for alternatives to the four consecutive days of trekking and staying at hostels along the way. We also would like to go to Ushuaia (and would love to see some penguins!).

In addition to 1) BA and 2) Patagonia, we'd like to choose one other area to visit. The Falls would be great, but it's a bit far from Patagonia and we'd like to cut down on internal travel time as much as possible. Do you have suggestions about other areas? I know Mendoza is supposed to be great, but we live close enough to Napa/Sonoma that we don't need to go wine tasting. Also, any suggestions you could provide on how best to see Patagonia would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome Joe, this is a nice trip. A quick answer would be to add eastern Chubut which is also part of patagonia (P is very, very vast) and if you like outdoors this can be the perfect complement to Calafate and Ushuaia as Peninsula Valdes is one the largest wild animals reservoirs in Argentina. You can see penguins in Punta Tombo, as well as sea lions, perhaps orcas and do some whale watching. There is some bird watching too but from a distance as authorities are not allowing people to get closer anymore.

You should explore the possibility of flying to Calafate straight after you land in BA, there are some flights leaving from the international airport. This way you can do BA on your return after you visit Chubut (Puerto Madryn and Peninsula Valdes).

Joe
Username: Joe_sf

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for suggestion, Roberto! I spoke with my gf yesterday and we came up with a 2nd option for our travels. Can you let me know what you think of it? It means a little less time in Patagonia, but it will allow us to get a little more variety.

Fly into BA - spend 2-3 days
Fly to Calafate - spend 6 days in Patagonia (still working on the details, but probably spend a day in Calafate, take a bus to Chile and do some trekking around the 'W'.
Fly to Mendoza - spend 2 days
take the 7 hour bus through the andes to Santiago - spend 3-4 days in Santiago and Valparaiso
Fly out of Santiago

We have upped the number of vacation days to 21 (including flying to BA and back from Santiago).

Thanks for your input.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Looks great :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration