Need some itenerary suggestions! Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Need some itenerary suggestions! « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sarah Humberd
Username: Sarahandalex

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey everyone! I almost have my trip planned out but I've got a couple of days where I"m not sure what I want to do.

I am spending November 27th - December 4th in Buenos Aires.
December 4th in Monteviedo
December 5t and possibly the 6th in Punta Del Este

I have the 7th, 8th and 9th with nothing to do. I am departing on the 9th but not until around 6pm.

Is there anywhere around or near BA that you can travel by bus in 2 -4 hours that would be somewhere different and exciting to visit? Maybe somewhere off the beaten path with hiking, mountains, alot of culture and outdoor activities?

Thanks for all your help! November cant get here fast enough!!!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Sarah, you can do a couple of things but nothing really really exciting. Unless you like doing 'aladeltismo' or similar... Buenos Aires -in general- is very flat and country-like. A better outdoor's place would be Cordoba, about 8 hours away. You can take a train overnight and spend this time there. I am positive you will find all you described.

In Buenos Aires, once you leave the city and its outskirts you will get tired of watching cows grass-feeding.

Alternatively, you can explore the city of Rosario which is a bit closer and may have some of what you want. But not like Cordoba.

W Piccione
Username: Mrspicci

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

HI Roberto:
I am going to Cordoba in 3 weeks. How do you take a train from BA to Cordoba? Please advise.
Thank you.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Call the guys that run the train (Ferrocentral) at:

ph: 4312-2989 or 0800-777-TREN (8736) or 4108-8800

when in Buenos Aires. Train departs at night on Mondays and Fridays and arrives in Cordoba a little before noon next day so you should get a "camarote" if you want to sleep.

I believe it leaves the station (Estacion Retiro -> Mitre) around 8.30pm

W Piccione
Username: Mrspicci

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Roberto:
Thank you for the information! My husband (an Argentine) and I have never taken the train is it an interesting trip or is it better to take the bus? I know the price difference is about $50 AR more.
GRacias!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That is a personal choice, mrspicci.

I like trains a lot so that is what I would do. But you will be traveling at night and won't see much... Trains may offer more comfort but a slower ride. A bus may get there faster but you will be stuck on a seat most of the time. What makes you and your husband happier? More leg room or a faster trip?

Julie Hill
Username: Sky

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto, i tried in vain to find some info on the train on the internet. Two websites made reference to the train no longer operating. My husband and I will be making our annual trip to BA again next september and would love to take this train.

I would just like to say that although I rarely post here, I read almost all postings and make notes about items of interest for our future trips. Thanks for all the good suggestions and tips. They have been helpful to us.

SKY

"Fasten your seatbelts, its gonna be a bumpy ride"

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

:-)

Their website (http://www.ferrocentral-sa.com.ar/) is down. Not sure what happened. I can confirm that the numbers above are correct (4312-2989) and that the train still operates. It is called "rayo del sol" and is operated by Ferrocentral departing from Retiro Terminal (Mitre station).

Bear in mind it will be best to go straight to the station. Reaching the BA numbers is often impossible. I just called the Cordoba station at (011-54351)426-3565. The person in Cordoba also said there is no longer a website...

(Message edited by admin on October 04, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration