Routes, mode of travel, lodging & gui... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Routes, mode of travel, lodging & guides... « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

judy Arthur
Username: Durhammom

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We will be arriving in BA on the 8th of Dec (4 of us-adults), and want ot see...Iguazu falls , Esteros del Ibera, Cordoba, Salta, Mendoza (Christmas day in Valparaiso, Chile) and New Years Eve in BA. Leaving Jan 4th. We are nature lovers but enjoy cities with Character. Can anyone give us suggestions about which routes to take, buses vs flying vs car rental in the various areas?

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding nice but not too expensive places to stay in any of these locations?

Also, I've heard that it is good to hire local guides in Esteros del Ibera and north of Salta in the Jujay area. Has anyone got a good recommendation? Can you give me an idea of what this will cost?

I know I asked lots of questions but any answers to any part of this post will be appreciated!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Judy, these destinations are very diverse and building a trip that makes sense is complex. Traveling by bus is feasible, cheaper and convenient but it depends a lot on your comfort zone. You can do overnight BA/Mendoza and then, also cross into Chile by bus and return. You can also do BA/Iguazu by bus but this is an extended trip. You may even be able to include as part of this itinerary Cordoba and Esteros del Ibera in your way to Iguazu. Salta is definitely out of the way and may require a plane. So as you can see there are 3 legs to this trip and although you may be able to do Mendoza/Iguazu straight I recommend returning to Buenos Aires in order to travel through Cordoba.

Briefly, I would approach this trip as 3 different segments:

BA/Mendoza/Chile/BA > buses
BA/Cordoba/Esteros/Iguazu/BA > buses
BA/Salta/BA > plane

It gets more complex if you have fixed dates for 2 different events. Obviously, you should leave for the last the segment BA/Mendoza/Chile/BA as you want to spend Christmas in Chile and New Years in BA.

This is the kind of trip that requires the involvement of a travel agent. There are a lot bookings to be made and in a month or so there won't be spaces available. But be aware most agents will go for airline tickets when possible as it greatly simplifies the trip and reduces risks... and they may frown upon some choices as they look a little out of the way.

judy Arthur
Username: Durhammom

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto,
Thanks for all of your advise! One question...Is there a night bus that goes from Iguazu to Salta? It would seem like that would take almost the same amount of time as going back to BA from Iguazu and would not require four airline tickets. Not knowing the bus system and road situation it is hard to tell!
Thanks again for your input!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1293
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Judy, take a look at this Salta - Iguazu

delia mcleod
Username: Delia

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We are flying to SAo Paulo on Oct 11 and intend to visit the Pantanal, Iguazu Falls and work our way down to Patagonia and then up through Chile to Santiago, leaving for home on November 28. My question is what is the best way to travel within Argentina. We could rent a car and drive the whole way, or we could do a mix of bus, rail and air. So far all we have booked is our flights going and coming. We looked into an air pass, but I believe we have to pre book the flights and we don't want to do that.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Delia, I'd say forget about trains... Some can be done by bus, say Iguazu-Buenos Aires. But once in BA and to prevent exhaustion I would fly to wherever you want to go in Patagonia and then consider driving north and west towards Chile. You may have to rent a 4x4 depending on where you go in Patagonia. This part of the trip is actually worth driving as opposed to the leg Iguazu-BA. That one is ok but if I had to choose I would do it as described.

larry Rogers
Username: Larryr30

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto,
I remember a while back that advertising was kind of frowned upon inside of this forum or was I mistaken. It seems, at least to me, that recently alot of people of have been posting themselves as members and trying to solicite business. Anyway, was just a thought that had come to mind while ready Javier's comment! Sorry Javier...........

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, Larry. You are correct.

It is also stated in the rules upon signing up which, of course, noone bothers to read. The sad thing is that these are mostly argentines -peers- trying to obtain leads. Little do they know that they may be doing just the opposite. If they could only become friendlier and part of the community they might get a lot more done.

But they think it is ok to come here and drop their links on first visit driving traffic away. Traffic that was built over a period of years. If you go back, I was the only person here responding everything for a long time. Then came Saint and many others who indeed tried to contribute, even if just to self-promote their services in an indirect fashion. But this is perfectly fine as life is a give and take...

It is painful to see the dropping of links like that, as if this forum weren't a good resource with members naturally trying to be helpful, many times without asking anything in return.

Link droppers could easily respond to the poster with *information* not a sales pitch but that requires a lot more effort and it will take just too long to create trust and ties.

I have let many members post links in many different ways. Heck, if some links proved to be real useful and weren't clickable (like to articles) I will get in my admin panel and make an hypertext for easy clicking. More power to those who needed that information. But most argentines don't understand taking the time to develop a relationship. I was like that too. My american ex-wife taught me different. She taught me the value of subtlety, something that -for good or for bad- we sorely lack. She also taught me how to gently coax others, only if just to show alternative ways... But we do not learn these things in Argentina, unfortunately.

I really do not want to ban anyone but I sometime lose hope when a new chance presents itself only to be spoiled again.

Sorry for the ranting.

Javier
Username: Fuska75

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Guys Im really sorry!!!
You re right!!! im offering my services like tourist guide in this forum...
i m new and... as i can see, i made a mistake.
Buenos Aires crew is my way of learn my life. several people enjoy my services,
a lot of people want to see my city in a different way.
I thought that posting in a travel forum was a good way to offer my services to people who need it.

Don t Worry about me Roberto...this gonna be my last post in this forum.
I n fact i don t need more promotion. but please,even if your an argentine guy (or not) stop to say bullshit about my country

larry Rogers
Username: Larryr30

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 6:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Javier,
Bro, don't leave the forum that this account (being publicity)...stay with us!

All I was saying is that we have been getting alot of promo stuff! It's not a big deal in my eyes, I just get a little upset because I use the forum as a guide not as advertisment...

This forum can bring you great benefit, so don't leave on my account, I apologize for any feelings that my have been lost.

The best way to push an outside business is through private emails etc...

Take care and hope to see you at the BBQ on Sunday...

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

> stop to say bullshit about my country.

People can say anything they want here and that includes me. I will not use this space to defend myself but I would say this: if you can't be open to other's opinions -because it is just *that*, a personal opinion- then, yes, you have no place here.

It will be best not to take it so personal... perhaps there is a lesson in this if you first become more open-minded. Very likely, many here would have liked to know more about what you have to offer but if it had been presented in a different way. Once the group you are trying to target becomes annoyed the chances of promoting anything becomes greatly reduced.

Javier
Username: Fuska75

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Guys, this me again...
What about me roberto? why i can t say what i want? i m agree with you, this is a forum, in fact a travel forum, with a lot of people who want to see me place (Buenos Aires).

Larry please don t feel sorry about anything... everything is fine.

I Apologize for anything that i could say to you Roberto.
Regards to everybody and i hope you enjoy your time in my city.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, you can say anything you want too.

But there are consequences. And that is the point... To exercise responsibility.

My message was that by not understanding the dynamics of the group any promotional efforts from your part will be in vain. The dynamics here may be different than in other places and not everyone will fit in. You have to decide if you can conform to these dynamics, just like in any other group.

If you believe you can see an angle of Buenos Aires noone else does write an article about it and post it here. Many will enjoy reading it as long as it is not a sales pitch which takes me to other point. It is best to let others decide for themselves. If someone wants what you have to offer he/she will find a way to reach you.

For example, you can place a link to your services on your profile fuska75

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration