Three Days in Buenos Aires Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Blog | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Three Days in Buenos Aires « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

SL Chicago
Username: Slchicago

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

How should a first-time visitor to Buenos Aires spend three full days? Thoughts. Suggestions.

Thank you.

Adam Walker
Username: Adam_walker

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi SL - well, everyone should see a good Tango show for sure! U can find cheap ones, however in my experience, paying out is a grat idea. I have only seen a handful, my favourite is at Bar Sur in San Telmo (Estados Unidos 200). VERY romantic (if you want to get lucky!). You will pay 360-380 pesos for dnner and the show, so it´s quite pricey, but there are far more expensive ones. I went to se the tango at Cafe Tortoni, supposedly famous for its Tango. for 70 pesos I watched the show, and thougt it was awful. If you are on a budget, there is a great option in San Telmo, again on Estados Unidos, 400 - La Rosalia. They have FANTASTIC food, good service, and on Friday and Saturday free tango shows (pretty decent too - not Bar Sur quality, but good) - a 3 course meal with a decent bottle of wine, coffee etc 150 pesos (3 pesos to the dollar remember!). The eating experience in BA is VERY important - steack and pasta to die for! If u r a big eater, Siga La Vacca in Puerto Madeiro is eat as much as u can for 80 pesos, and good quality grub.

If you want nice places to drink there are some good bars in Palermo (Plaza Serano an Plaza Veijo), and excellent shoping during the day.

The are some nice art galerys around the city, I am sure someone on this site can suggest, I really enjoyed the Evita Museum too.

Finally - try and get to a football/soccer match. the quality is ok, but the atmosphere is AMAZING!

One word of warning - when I first got here I got conned by the Taxi´s/cabs a lot! Have small notes (5, 10, 20 peso notes) to pay with... if you pay with a 50 or 100 (as I used to) there a decent chance u will get fake notes back - I have also had them try and change the note for a fake, tell me I gave them a fake and I need to give another... so I gave another 100 pesos over, and lost out on 200 pesos! Not all of the taxi drivers are like this, some are very friendly, but if they start asking loads of q´s about where you are from, be vigilant! If u have to pay with a big note, look at the serial number and remember it!

cheers

Enjoy your 3 days here!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There are many members living in BA at the moment so maybe they will contribute ideas.

In my view, it is important to visit the different neighborhoods -specially those in the southern part of of the city- because they have a lot of history. In fact, the first Buenos Aires settlement (16th century) ocurred near to where todays "pink house" (a.k.a white house) is located... was it in Parque Lezama? You may not be able to see the underground tunnels unless through a guided tour but they are there and connected many of the government offices, churches and even the "Colegio Nacional Buenos Aires" with the port... in case authorities needed to escape because of a british/spanish invasion.

I also feel it is really important to visit the northern estancias that still keep a lot of traditions where you will become acquainted with the life of the gauchos and have a glimpse into the old social elite of Buenos Aires. Back in the days, these ranch owners were the ones writing history. Best would be a full day visit to estancias or even small towns with deep gaucho roots like San Antonio de Areco.

Finally, you must devote some time to learn about Tango. It is a different aspect of Buenos Aires (mostly) culture. You cannot understand the idiosincracy of argentines and the melancholy of the porteno (BA dwellers) if you are unaware of Tango. This part of our culture is not associated directly to gauchos. Both entities belong to different eras and are essential pieces of our history. There are many ways how one can go about this, from mingling into milongas with other locals, to taking classes to attending shows and museums.

And last but not least, in between visits, you must spend time at eateries. All sorts. Good, classy restaurants to more common ones and experience the local food. It also has history written all over the place (asados were an integral part of gauchos meals while neglected by the upper class in the time of the "saladeros").

The above is obviously very touristy but the truth is that the three elements gauchos, tango and neighborhoods are intrinsec parts of ourselves and have remained important.

This may be valid for any trip but reading a little bit of history such as "la guerra de las carnes" or understanding a little bit about the role of the gauchos would certainly make 3 days a very comprehensive visit.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good advice, Adam. Yes, you must be on the alert with taxi cabs!

Spartaco
Username: Spinsk

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto, thanks for all the writings, you know alot about BA. I wanted to ask your opinion and all on this post. I am thinking of living in BA as an artist or in the surrounding area but a little worried since I have never been there and the like. I speak Italian, being of Italian ancestory and my spanish is mixed with my Italian so I seem to get by. I was just wondering if BA is the place to live cheaply, compared to US and Europe, alot of jobs in the area and an artistic vibe. I have traveled alot, thoughts of visiting and living in Argentina and so any opinions might help. I truly love Asia and spent quite sometime there so trying to see if S.America might suit me. Thanks and I will look for your posting. Any help from anyone who be grand. ciao

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

BA has many bohemian areas well suited for artisans/artists. I can't offer specifics into living cheaply in Buenos Aires but most portenios have become very resourceful learning how to stretch the little money they make. I think after a reasonable learning curve you will too master how to live with few pesos. Your only problem will be to rapidly find a community/group of friends that will match your spirit. I think if you give it a try and talk to the many artists that work and make money in the streets/flea markets you will find some answers. Or if you frequent areas like Plaza Freud and similar that have that kind of vibe.

Also, pm Bob Frassinetti in this forum. He is an artist and will give you better advice than myself.

Adam Walker
Username: Adam_walker

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Spartaco - I thought it worth mentioning, I live in San Telmo, which is full of aspiring artists. It seems a good place to set up shop, because A LOT of tourists head there for the Tango, Antiques and Art Galleries. Many set up shop around Plaza Dorrego, drinking mate and selling their work - the nice thing is you can charge a tourist from the UK/US twice as much, and they think they are getting a bargain. I bought a very nice leather belt with a design on from a girl as a present for my Girlfriend - it cost 75 pesos, which goes far here... (you can easily buy a great big steak sandwich with a drin for 10 pesos here). For me (a brit) I was paying 12 pounds for a nice present - not much. When I headed to one of my girlfriends shops out of tourist land, there were very similar belts going for half the price.

I think BA is a good bet, especially with your Italian background (a lot of italian immigrants - I think the Spanish sounds very italian here, more so than in other South American countries - everything is "belisimo" or "ricisimo" or "malisimo" etc). However having never been to Asia, I wouldn´t know for sure.

Nelieta Mishchenko
Username: Tinktinkie

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi SL,

Buenos Aires is a very exciting city and there is so much happening there. It all depends what you would like to see or do. I would defintely squeeze a visit in to the Teatro Colon. The tour takes about an hour and it is a beautiful place to see. There is also Casa Rosada or the Pink Palace that you could visit. This is a free tour but does not run every day. Go down to Puerto Madero and see the Woman`s Bridge. It is beautiful at night. Then a tango show. If you don`t want to pay for one then head down to El Caminito. Eat something at a restaurant and watch a very good tango show. Don`t go too early in the morning because it only comes alive after 2pm. Take the train and go to Tigre just outside Buenos Aires. It is a 30 minute trip if I remember correctly. You can buy a lot of souvenirs there at great prices. Visit La Recoleta Cemetery or take the subte to Palermo to visit Paseo de Rosedal, Galileo Galilei, Zoo or the Botanical gardens. Oh I forgot about the Japanese Gardens. Then take a walk down calle Florida for some shopping :-) This should keep you busy for a couple of days. Have fun!

AMARAGGI
Username: Amar

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2014 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, this post to introduce our new website:
www.whitehousevacationrentals.com
Hope it helps some travelers to bs As or Europe

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration