Work in buenos aires Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Work in buenos aires « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

tm
Username: Rxptm7

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

what jobs are available for ex-pats in buenos aires ? are there any where english is spoken ? i am considering moving to B.A. my only obstacle is what will I do for work?
Thanks

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Explore jobs over the internet that may not conflict with a relocation. Even if you find a job in BA where you can speak english pay will be in pesos and you may feel it in your pocket. On the other hand, being paid in us$ may help you a lot.

Adam Walker
Username: Adam_walker

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi tm - I am currently making this move myself right now, and there are options out there for you, depending on how flexible you are and what you currenty do... what do you do right now?

I have found that there are a number of English and US firms that operate over here, and there are some roles that may not need fluency in both English and Spanish. The biggest sector out here is the call centre one - there are all sorts of firms with customer services, sales departments, help desk departments set up in ARG, all of which only need English as you are servicing the US. Some are more advanced as others (IT, Financial advisory etc) but experience and qualifications will probably be needed for these.

The other obvious "big-one" is teaching English - there are opportunities to teach one-on-one, group classes or go into firms and teach business english. Some ask for qualificatons (TEFL etc) but many are happy with just native-speakers.

Internet research is the key - looking on ex-pat pages and recruitment sites. you can find some interesting niches (my girlfriend found something where you work for one of the big hotels, meeting and greeting rich guests, planning and chaperoning them on their visit).

But as Roberto says, most will pay you Argentine wages (ARG$3-5k a month) which, while you can live on that here, it means you wont be able to return to the UK/US with much of a nest egg. Also worth noting, many firms arenīt necessarily keen on putting a work permit through - this could cost US$1-2k in lawyer fees.

Itīs worth looking at, ARG is a great place, with lots to offer! Good luck!

Christopher Henson
Username: Sandiegochris

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, TM...you can get work, but in pesos and in the "black" or under the table here unless you have residency here. The best recommendation that I have is to try to earn a living in euros or Dollars and pay the bills in pesos as I do. My business is internet based. Many ex-pats are shocked at how low the salaries are here in comparison to our home countries. Best of luck!!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wouldn't it be nice to get paid in Ģ's?
1.00 GBP = 6.26347 ARS

Christopher Henson
Username: Sandiegochris

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ja ja...I prefer to earn euros to dollars or pesos any day!!! The exchange rate is crazy lately!! Thanks.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration