Train and bus in Argentina Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Train and bus in Argentina « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aniko Csat
Username: Szonja

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,

we planed to visit Argentina in the end of September for about 10-12 days. First we wanted to rent a car to be free with traveling around but some said it`s not a good idea.
Can anyone help me about the trains and busses in Argentina? Unfortunatly I don`t speak spanish and I couldn`t find satisfying information in english.

We`d like to go to Iguazu National Park, to Salta and Ushuaia for sure but also to Ischigualasto.
I would be interested in flight-, bus- and trainticket prices and if you know the duration of these travels as well it would be very helpful.

Thanks for your help!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Aniko, welcome!

The easiest first: trains.
Forget about it. In the last decade Argentina basically dismantled its train infraestructure. The few routes that are left are not well maintained so trips are subject to problems.

Next: buses. This is by far your best choice. Buses are still cheap and there are many routes and schedules available. Buenos Aires city has a Port Terminal at Retiro. This is the general bus station. All buses departing to any destination within Argentina depart from here. You can definitely find what you want here both for Ischigualasto and Iguazu. Although I do not have pricing available it will be *very* inexpensive to you, coming from Europe. In addition, you may have 'executive' choices where buses may offer dinner/breakfast services and 180 degree flat beds. Just for a slightly additional fee. The Bus station is located here:

Terminal Retiro:
Antártida Argentina y Calle 10
TEL: 011 - 4310-0700

I am afraid you will have to have someone calling them to find out details on different routes. There is no website at present and they still have to catch up with technology. But as I said, buses will be cheap.

As for Ushuaia, you will need to fly. Unless you are into 4x4s, adventure travel and have one month to spare. A roundtrip ticket is approximately USD $256 taxes included.

Bus tickets will probably be available without advanced reservations but that may not be the case for air tickets. If you need further help please email our office at erna@travelsur.net. Hope this helps.

karina
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i'm traveling to argentina soon. how much are train tickets to other cities within the country? are the trains safe? do you suggest buses instead?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 364
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Karina, not much *train* left in Argentina at present. Perhaps, new investments will make this an option again in the future but these days you will be far better off traveling by bus. More reach, good coaches and great deals. Look for the excecutive buses with 180 degrees flat beds.

Santiago Bengolea
Username: Santiagov

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 5:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Robero refers to what we call in Argentina " coche cama" (Bus w/sleeping beds), not really sleeping beds but imagine something like a bussiness class seat (at a airplane) with a 180 degrees position.I have personally taked this buses for trips not longer than 800 miles and must say its a fantastic choice IF there are no planes available or because of budget. Also if you travel by night and get to sleep you will be arriving early morning to your spot of choice ( No dead times, but no sightseeing too).

Now, beware not all "coche camas" are borned equal or maintained the same way !..having travelled with 2 different bus companys I experienced excellent buses and not so (even with the same bus company !!! ... once, in a sleeping bed bus, found those huge cocorouches as local visitors... hopefully my wife didn´t get to see them as her screams would have waken up all pax :-)
Seats also differ in size being some of them quite weared out. So before getting to buy the ticket ask about the bus number, model,year, etc. to the salesrep. (He might not know all the answers....use your "nose"...let him know you are going to complain if its NOT what you were told it was), the one you will be asigned for your specific date and destiny...."look a litlle inquisite" , dont let yourselves be foooled ... I repeat not all coche camas are built and maintained same way.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration