Border Crossings Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Border Crossings « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike
Username: Canuck

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am in the early stages of planning about a 5 month trip to Argentina. I'll be travelling mostly in the northern half but I will be required to leave the country at the half way point because of visa limitations. I am considering travelling to Brasil, Paraguay or Bolivia. I need a visa for both Brasil and Paraguay and I don't speak Portuguese so I am kind of leaning to visiting Bolivia for a bit before returning to Argentina. Can anyone advise me as to the ease of border crossing into Bolivia and the bus ride to Santa Marta or other city. Actually any advice on these three options would be welcomed.

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 403

Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Mike

Why not cross the Rio de la Plata from Buenos Aires to Uruguay.

Actually you do not have to leave the country at all. Your tourist visa/passport stamp lets you stay 90 days. You then can go to immigration and for 100 pesos get a 90 day extension.

Mike
Username: Canuck

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Only because at the 90 day point I expect to be quite far from the Uruguay crossing. So can I just go an immigration office at any border crossing and get a 90 day extension?

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 404

Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am not sure of that. I know that there is an immigration office in Bahia Blanca and Buenos Aires. I think that is because you have people entering and leaving the country there in large numbers. I would think that any border crossing with a relatively large town would have one.

However, when you do leave the country you do not have to stay gone very long at all. Simply walk, drive, whatever and get your passport stamped and then come back in the same day. You can go and come back in the same day.

Brazil requires a real visa and passport to enter the country at least for non Argentine residents. I do not know if Argentines entering Brazil need a visa or not.

One thing I would check on concerning Chili, I have read there is a fee to enter through the airports of $100 US which is three times as much as it costs if you go to an immigration office. Bt the way, immigration offices do not take the money. They give you a form which you take to the national bank and pay the fee there and then take the reciept and form back to immigration so they can stamp your passport.

In far northeast of Argentina near the rainforest there are health issues that should be addressed also. I believe that malaria and possibly other diseases that require innoculations. The US state department issues these specific warnings but do not issue any warnings for Buenos Aires and to the south that I know of. I have never gotten a shot before going there.

Katherine Ward
Username: Kathi

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We just visited Chile from Argentina for a couple of days last week and it was very easy and straightforward. At the Mendoza bus station we found a company called CHIAR which offers drivers with cars much cheaper than renting a car, plus its faster than a bus to Santiago. Our driver was very competent, took care of everything at the border. Basically we had to just go in and show our passports, get them stamped and allow a quick check of our backpacks - that was it. However, I called the Chilean embassy in Buenos Aires beforehand and confirmed that yes, for Americans landing or leaving from the international airport in Santiago, it is $100 each, so crossing by land is the way to go, plus its a beautiful drive through the Andes.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you can't make the crossing as per Katherine's suggestions via Chile and your only options are at the northern border I would say Brazil will probably be the easiest one, perhaps just like the crossing into Chile.

Only someone who has done this can answer you but I can venture a few guesses. Bolivias's border may have some additional issues because of 'drug trafficking' problems. And Paraguay because of international terrorist cells. But as I said, these are just guesses. Another guess... the Bolivia border should be slow, slow.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration