Winter services Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Winter services « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ed Kearns
Username: Roscoe

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have read that many of the "tourist services" are closed in winter in areas such as El Calafate. Is it possible and/or practical to try to visit the glaciers in August? I have 2 (maybe 3) weeks to visit Argentina in August. I'd really love to see some of Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego, but I don't want to fight frigid temperatures. I don't mind cold, but I'm not looking for brutal. If I had to choose one or the other (El Calafate or Ushauia), which is more worthwhile in August? Thanks.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Ed, yes, it is possible. And not *many* services are closed. As far as I know ranches stop offering accomodation and are only open for day visits.

Considering strictly weather there will be little to no difference between Calafate and Ushuaia during August. I think you should based your selection on other considerations. These destinations are quite different. Ushuaia is more of a city (it was developed mostly by the militaries) whereas Calafate relies a lot more on their tourist offerings. No matter where you go in deep patagonia it WILL be very cold during August.

Ben Ayling
Username: Mr_ben

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ed i may be heading over with a journey in mind Bueonos Aires - Tierra del Fuego - Baliroche/Las Lenas to volunteer in the winter there as a ski patroller or just ski/ backcountry etc.

I'm going to use language schools as a base at each point , with trips , hikes ,archalological dig, volunteer help , scoping peaks and taking it all in. The route essentially is to see Patagonia, listen to best routes from locals, with some wise research before. Keep my email bennettayling@aol.com if you are there ....also wise to hike glaciers with people and difficult terrain, areas. I'm likely to be there Late May-Sept...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration