Places to visit in August? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Places to visit in August? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Molly Risewick
Username: Mrise

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I will be in BA Aug. 1 to Aug. 15. I would like to use my weekends to travel out of BA. What would you recommend? I am thinking about Iguazu falls, but I don't know where else might make a good weekend trip or a few things closer to BA that would make good day trips.... Could you give me some suggestions? Also, is it advisable at this time of year to book the trip to the falls before my arrival?
Thanks

Roberto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome Molly!
A trip to Iguazu can be done over the weekend and it is fairly inexpensive. I always recommend a minimum 2 nights stay so you can depart on a Friday morning or Saturday morning and return on either Sunday or Monday. There are usually 3 to 4 flights a day but August can be quite busy since the northeast is one of the few places in Argentina that remains warm at this time. Honest travel agents can book this for you in advance with no commitment. By the time you arrive, you will know what is what you want and either cancel your prior reservations or confirm them.

There are a number of places you can visit during weekends. I'd say definitely San Antonio de Areco (about 80 miles from Buenos Aires City) to check ranches and gauchos' life. But you can also visit Rosario, in Santa Fe. Not very far and a nice place to hang out. In Buenos Aires itself you can spend time in the Delta, which is north of the city. There, you might be able to rent a place for the weekend and take some tours. The beaches to the south will be too cold. If you are in an adventurous spirit you can cross the 'Rio de La Plata' and visit Colonia del Sacramento for the day. These are just some ideas...

Genevieve P.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm planning a trip to Buenos Aires towards the end of July. I know it is winter but how cold does it get? Is it not a very pleasant month to travel?

Roberto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Genevieve and welcome! Buenos Aires can get cold every so often. Winter is not as harsh and cold as it might be in New York and it does not snow. Since the city of Buenos Aires sits on the ocean, water closeness keeps temperatures at bay. But you can still get days were it might feel awfully cold. On my last 2 winters in Buenos Aires I noticed big differences in the general climate, perhaps because of global warming. During June I remember having worn t-shirts during the day and on summer days (December) some nights were cold.

I'd say if you can handle a regular, mild winter Buenos Aires should be find durting July/August.

Julio Sandoval Castillo
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey I will be in Buenos Aires Aug5-21 and i was wondering how much it would cost to go to Tierra del Fuego if at all possible, I know it is going to be cold but Iam planning on trying to make it so plz give me a ball park estimate on how much it will cost me to go there

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Julio, a roundtrip flight BUE - USH - BUE is approx. $ USD 250 per person.

Ana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello, i would like hints of nice places to hang out in buenos aires, and what can be done in (13-21) august there.
Thanx

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Some nice neighborhoods with cafes and parks are:

La Recoleta (day and night)
Plaza Francia (day and night)
Palermo Hollywood (day and night)
Las Canitas (at night)
Plaza Freud (at night)

In any of these places you will find many pubs, cafes and restaurants and you can literally spend a whole afternoon drinking one single espresso watching people walk by. Noone will bother you.

Christina
Username: Christmaszorro

Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello. I am planning to fly from Lima, Peru to Buenos Aires, Argentina August 1 to the 15. I am looking for tours around Buenos Aires and a tour to Patagonia. I would love some recommendation for travel agencies. A thing to keep in mind is I am a student with a low budget.
I would also like to know the places to shop in Buenos Aires, for leather and what other objects Argentina is famous for. Thank you.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome Christina, Buenos Aires has a miriad of places for shopping leather and other local objects (yerba mate, etc), too long to list here. In the last few years literally hundreds of shops mushroomed everywhere because of the turist boom. Once there, you can just ask anyone at your place of stay and they will be able to give you specific recommendations. As for travel agencies, you can find decent ones on the internet as you have found us. Travelsur -our agency- does offer the tours you are asking about and we will be more than happy to assist you. You can email erna at erna@travelsur.net at anytime or call her at 4322-8147. Briefly, patagonia is very vast and it comprises 5 different states. It has 4 main attractions: the glaciers in Calafate, Tierra del Fuego National Park in Ushuaia, Bariloche and the lakes area (Rio Negro) and Puerto Madryn to the east of Chubut. There are, of course, more things to do but the ones I mentioned should not be missed.

At the time you are traveling most of it will be covered by snow except Puerto Madryn... you should look into Bariloche, specially if you want to save money since you can get there by bus. Bear in mind August is still winter down there and anywhere in patagonia weather will be cold. If traveling dates are correct you will be arriving next week. Why don't you come by our offices?

nombulelo
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i am palnning a trip to new york in a months time what is your advice and plz tell what rand they use there.....

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

nombulelo, I think you got the wrong board. This forum only handles travel issues as they relate to Argentina and eventually other nations in South America.

Nombulelo
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Test

CHris Vallowe
Username: Baltika09

Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Im going to Argentina later this month and am wanting to visit Tierra del Fuego/Ushuaia. I am having trouble finding information for TdF/Ush specifically for winter. Lots of info for summer, but only -skiing- for winter. What else is there to do? how many hours of daylight are there? how cold is the weather and what should I bring? is it possible to see the aurora australis from there? THanks for any help anyone can give me.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 594
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The shortest day for that region happens around June 21st where the Sun comes out at 09:30 with dawn at 17:30. About 8 hours. I am not sure you can see the aurora australis in Ushuaia. I think you need to travel to Antarctica for this. For temperatures and other information you can check weather in Ushuaia and Ushuaia current weather.

Chris, you can do all tours. Lakes do not freeze. Weather permitting you should be able to visit the national park, ride the train and take some short boat tours... You may have contacted the wrong agent?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration