Help please for trip!! Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Help please for trip!! « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Euan Peebles
Username: Euanpeebles

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi everyone,

Many thanks for advice I have read so far - has been very useful. My brother is visiting me in Argentina 14th Feb and leaves on 5 March from BA. I was wondering if you could help me with a few things:

1.) We want to go down South - probably to the Perito Moreno Glaciar. Is it necessary to book in advance if we go about 20th February. How much is the entrance fee? Am I right in saying it is a park that is close to El Calafate?

2.) With the limited time, is it work travelling further south east to tierra del fuego - what can one see there? Can we go climbing, horse riding etc..?

3.) I understand Macchu Picchu is closed in February. Is it possible to fly from the South - Ushuiuia or Rio Gallegos for example and then do a one day tour of Macchu Picchu as soon as it opens - (assuming this is the first March?), then fly back to BA? Also can we book train tickets independently, arrive at the Aguas Calientes and buy our ticket there for Macchu Picchu or is it absolutely necessary to do this through a tour company? If so what are the prices?

Would love some help with these questions. Really want to organise a good trip for brother.

Many thanks

Euan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 948
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Euan, EL Calafate as well as Perito Moreno glacier are part of what is called "Parque Nacional Los Glaciares". You can see some maps here. Most visitors will take 3 nights to visit the glaciers and 2 nights to visit Ushuaia so you should have plenty of time. In Ushuaia, you could take a couple of tours to the national park as well as some short boat trips to see more glaciers.

As for Machu Picchu it appears there may not be any activity throughout Feb but to make sure contact this website. To visit "El Camino del Inca" in Machu Picchu you will need to fly /Buenos Aires-Lima-Cusco/ and then travel to Machu Picchu.

I did it on my own but in reverse order. I reached Machu Picchu first, through the Inca trail and then descended to Aguas Calientes, stayed overnight and next morning got the train back to Cusco without purchasing anything in advance. However, this was a long time ago and given that this destination has gotten hotter I imagine advance booking may be appropriate. The worst case scenario will be that you may have to spend more days in Cusco than what originally anticipated, which is great as Cusco is super cool. I don't think it is absolutely necessary to do this through a travel agent. I never used one.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration