Counterclock wise Argentina Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Counterclock wise Argentina « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Bourque
Username: Itellya06

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,

I will be traveling to Argentina on Feb 27/07 for 3 weeks. I am wondering if it is better to visit the country counter clock wise.

I would start by leaving BA towards Mendoza by bus. On the way to Mendoza are there any locations enroute that I should consider stopping at, exploring? Can someone tell me if I buy a bus ticket for Mendoza do they allow off/on privileges so if I do want to stop I can do so and then get on the bus the following day?

The second leg of the trip would be from Mendoza towards the Patagonia mountains where I would consider doing the same thing, getting off and on the bus when ever I would find an interesting place or site i wanted to visit? Eventually I would want to go along that route to reach Ushuaia...the southern most city of the world. I may take a week to do this portion of the trip.

Once in Ushuaia I would stay there a few days and then return my way back to BA via the eastern side of the country exploring and visiting sites, such as the beach areas as I make my way back to BA.

Again this leg of the route would take about a week.

So if someone can answer the question if i can buy a ticket with off and on privileges is possible?

Should i consider renting a car to do the same trip and would it be more visually pleasing and enjoyable?

Thanks for your help
Paul

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 930
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Paul, welcome. This is not an expert opinion so you may need a few more besides mine. Here is my take.

1. I don't know of on/off priviledges and the way the long distance system has been set up, I would say it may be rare (but like anything in Argentina, things are not set in stone). What you could do is a short stop at San Antonio de Areco on your way to Mendoza (about 80 miles from the BA). Then, another small stop at Pergamino. These are small towns known for historic traditions. Then, another one in Rio Cuarto slightly more than half way. Not sure if it is worth though. It will depend on what your are looking for.

2. You can only get to Ushuaia by bus through Chile. From Argentina, you can only fly or take the ferry. Study maps very carefully. These are very long distances.

3. You might be able to do what you want on your route to southern patagonia from Mendoza. Say you do Mendoza - Bariloche - Calafate - Rio Gallegos - Ushuaia. That first part, between Mendoza and Bariloche and somewhat south, does offer many smaller towns where you can spend the night and perhaps a few days. And it might be possible to buy short bus legs but you will have to get the information in Buenos Aires, at the bus terminal, with each company (to see what they can do or not do).

4. South of Esquel, I'd say it looks a lot more like an adventure than what could be thought of as an 'enjoyable and pleasing' experience.

5. You can rent a 4x4 to do this but it may cost a lot and you may have to contend with less than optimal services along the different routes. And you will see a lot more sheep than gas stations. The beauty of Argentina...

I would risk a trip like this:
1. with friends
2. with a tent
3. with more time alloted.

But others may disagree.

(Message edited by admin on January 11, 2007)

Paul Bourque

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto,

Thanks for your reply. I have a few more questions for you:
1. Rental of 4X4 any suggestions with who and estimated costs?
2. I have read allot about booking accomadation ahead of time should I be concerned if I rent a 4X4 and start looking as I arrive in small towns etc?
3. Is there a place where I can rent tents, sleeping bags and other camping equipment in BA?
4. A trip to Iguazzu Falls would I enjoy it if I rented a car and made my own way up there? What route would you recommend? If I take the bus should it be the over night trip?

Thanks

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 949
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

1. You should check the different car rental companies in Mendoza. Don't know prices but they all have 4x4s. Check:
Hertz
Budget
Dollar

Plus once you are there it will be easy to find local ones.

2. I think you could do this as long as you are not too picky. Cities like Bariloche and smaller towns like Esquel should offer a good amount of cheaper rooms (2 and 3 stars hotels)

3. Yes, check with Camping Center located at

Esmeralda 945
Capital Federal (C.P. 1007)
Tel: 4314-0305

From the US you should dial 011-5411-4314-0305 (don't know from Canada). They have a good inventory specially for cold weather destinations. You can also purchase the camping guides at any of the Kiosks in downtown, specially in Florida street (the pedestrian venue). I think there is one camping guide published annually.

4. Honestly, I would take an overnight bus to Iguazu and only take up driving from Mendoza to southern patagonia. A trip to Iguazu is actually a short one -in terms of days needed- and I would devote more time driving and stopping in towns on the western side of Argentina.

(Message edited by admin on January 17, 2007)

Paul Bourque

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,

I have just returned from my driving trip around Argentina. Have a look at the blog link below and if you have any questions about driving around Argentina dont hesitate to email me.

Thanks
Paul

http://itellya.blogspot.com

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration