American Dollars Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » American Dollars « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Guy McSlam
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

How far do American Dollars go down there? Is it pretty economical for an American to take their dollars down there for a vacation?

Roberto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, it is economical.

Food will be very cheap, compared to prices in the US. In addition, servings may be larger too. And food is just delicious anywhere you eat. Cabs are also dirt cheap, so transportation within Buenos Aires should not be a problem. Inland flights are somewhat inexpensive but not a bargain (foreigners have to pay a different price for air tickets). In spite of this, travel to inland destinations can be economical too. The only thing it may not be as cheap as you might have expected are accomodations. But still prices are reasonable. For example, lodging in Buenos Aires may range from $35 a night (3 stars) to $65/$85 (4 stars) and up to $100/$150 (5 stars). I am not including the top of the line which will have international rates. I think that for $85 a night you can get some great hotels in Buenos Aires. Southern Argentina might be a little more expensive whereas northern Argentina might be a little cheaper.

Clothes may or may not be cheap, depending on what and where you shop. But if you dig carefully, you will find great things at great prices. A recent passenger of ours, a NY financial consultant for JPM told us he bought the best leather shoes ever in a San Telmo run-down joint for the cheapest prices ever. So... it depends on who you ask.

Most things will be cheap for you and yes, you will have a sense that you are getting the most bang for your bucks.

poppe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hi we are considering moving to argentina and buying our own farm/finca it seems that most real estate transactions are in cash usd. what would be the best way to get those dollars in argentina?can you simply open a usd. account and then wire the money?thanks,pieter

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 258
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Pieter, I cannot give you a straight answer. Each case is probably handled differently. Generally speaking I'd say that most argentines doing transactions at that level will have foreign accounts in financially safe countries. Thus, it is possible that sellers may request deposits abroad, as opposed to wiring the funds into argentine accounts.

By the time you are ready to buy, you will already know how to deal with this. Don't worry. Argentines sell local assets to foreigners every day :-)

Pino Di stefano
Username: Pino

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hRoberto,
I will in BA next february, and will like to see some tipical fishing town in the vicinity, can you indicate one to me.

Also in wich local news paper should I look for
real estate classified.

Thanks

Pino

Santiago Bengolea
Username: Santiagov

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 4:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pino : Mar del Plata thatīs 220 miles away from BA. As for newspapers try La Nacion / Clarin . Enjoy your trip !

MIchael Calero
Username: Michael795

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto,

You have given me advise before. My question is: I am a men in his fifties, going to Bs As for 27 days in October. I like to sightsee during the day , walking checking things out, easy things, yet after I enjoy eating out (of course with a date at times), cafes, restaurants in the evening and also having a few cocktails. In your opinion to deal with a moderate budget, going top shelve by laying low one day (for a over run from one day to another) what would you consider a daily budget to handle that type of approach to Bs As. I will also go shopping but that is additional. Oh, I have my apartment covered all I am asking is general spending funds (to sightsee moderately, food and evening enjoyment) on a daily basis. Hanging out in Palermo or recoleta area.

Geoff Pearson
Username: Gpearson

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 3:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Michael,

My wife & I stayed in Palermo for 6-weeks December/January so I'm assuming that costs haven't changed much in the last 6-months. Your posting suggests that we have similar tastes as we too enjoy taking in the local culture at a somewhat leisurely pace & we particularly enjoy good dining. The Recoleta/Palermo districts are an ideal location. Palermo particuarly I think will fit the bill for you. It's a middle-class area with a large residential population & there are many restaurants & cafes that offer excellent food & service at very reasonable prices. Recoleta is a little more expensive but nevertheless very reasonable & it has the advantage that it offers a concentrated cluster of very good restaurants around the cemetry area.

You will find retaurants & cafes everywhere you look in Palermo & we were still finding new gems within a block or two of our apartment on Araoz even after 6-weeks. Don't overlook the Plaza Serrano area. It's a little further afield (15 pesos in a taxi from Araoz) but has great bars & restaurants & it rocks until late. Try the Meridian 58, great steaks, great service.

Our experience was that dining at even the more expensive establishments in Recoleta we never spent more than around 120 pesos for two. That included a couple beers for starters & a bottle of Malbec. You can however, get by on much less if you eat at some of the many family type restaurants or cafes in Palermo. Typically we would spend between 60 & 80 pesos for two. There are many small hole-in-the-wall restaurants & pavement cafes in Palermo that cost even less. You can dine very well & enjoy excellent service for as little as 40 or 50 pesos for two.

If you feel like a night off & decide to eat in, take a look in one of the many small, local supermakets, El Norte for example, that are never more than a couple of blocks away. They generally have a good selection of pastas, salads, breads & pre-cooked meats & you can put together a decent dinner for two, with a bottle of vino, for as little as around 15 pesos. For us, breakfast is a cup of coffee & a couple of empanadas. For lunch, more coffee & maybe a sandwich so those meals were small change.

For a nice day out go for lunch to one of the pavement cafes in La Boca on a Saturday & enjoy the free street tango. You will also find many of the local artists displaying their work. Some are very good & the prices are very modest. Another good day out, best on Sunday, take the Subte to Catedral & stroll up Defensa to Plaza Derrago in the heart of San Telmo.

I hope the foregoing is helpful to you. We enjoyed BA so much BTW, that we are returning for another 6-weeks in the summer.

Geoff Pearson

MIchael Calero
Username: Michael795

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 5:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Geoff,

Thanks for the info, I am going to print it and keep it handy along with other things I have collected. We seem to have the same taste and style during our holidays. Palermo is exactly where I will be hanging my hat since it's where I rented. I am pretty sure my experience will be just as yours since I am very social and can mingle in with the local culture, especially since I speak Spanish.

Thanks again and all the best. Michael Calero

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration