VISITING ARGENTINA AND URUGUAY Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » VISITING ARGENTINA AND URUGUAY « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

MICHAEL HUGHES
Username: Shambhala7

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My wife and I are very excited about visiting Argentina and Uruguay the next couple of weeks. We plan on spending about one month traveling the region. Any suggestions or advice to the following (tentative) itinerary, will be much appreciated.
We do not want to be "typical tourists" and want to be flexible in our travel plans.

We will be arriving in BA , on Oct. 25. We want to stay in BA for a few days, then travel to Uruguay via ferry. After arriving in Colonia, I want to either rent a car or take public transportation to Montevideo. We want to visit the city, and then drive to Punta del Este, and points north. Uruguay appears to be a rather small country and we want to see as much as possible in the time we are there.
After spending a few days in Uruguay, we want to fly to Mendoza, either from Montevideo, or BA. I am gringo, but my wife is Colombian. We are seriously searching for a new environment, in which to live. We currently live in Medellin, CO. and enjoy a good lifestyle here. But, we both want to experience an environment different than where we now live.
We want to travel to Bariloche (most likely via bus) after visiting Mendoza. We then want to make a decision as to whether to relocate to Mendoza, or possibly the Bariloche region. We realize the difference in climate and lifestyle in each of these two locations. Mendoza was/is our first choice, but after a friend visited, and told us about, the Bariloche region we want to consider this area as well.
Any suggestions from anyone to "tweak" our itinerary, will be much appreciated.

Also, I currently teach Business English , here in Medellin, and would like to continue to do so when I relocate.
I have over 20 years of business experience in mortgage banking , as well as a Master of Science degree in Education.

Great forum, to say the least, and any comments or advice will , again, be much appreciated.

Michael

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 784
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, thank you for your compliments which I make extensive to all participating here.

The Uruguay part will be splendid. This hasn't been talked too much on this forum but Uruguay has some of the most beautiful beaches. Perhaps, not for their blue waters -they aren't- but because some of their beaches are really wide and surrounded by gorgeous pine trees which combine perfectly with their white sands as I have never seen in any other place. I love brazilian beaches a lot but have the most wonderful memories from the beaches in Uruguay, specially from places like "la Floresta", where I spent most of my vacations as a teenager.

I would rent a car in Colonia. You could conceivably take the bus to Montevideo too for the 3 hours trip but since you will still rent one heading to Punta del Este why not do it in Colonia and drive all the way?

I enourage this because this trip is full of small towns that can make the entire trip different. In particular, the part Montevideo-Punta del Este. Definitely stop at "Atlantida", "La Floresta", "Piriapolis" and any of the other beaches in noone's map and appreciate those pine trees embedded in the white sands. I am pretty sure you can't fly from Montevideo to Mendoza. Either way you have to get back to Buenos Aires so the best will be to ferry it back from Punta del Este and fly or take the bus to Mendoza. Since the ferry arrives/departs in Retiro you could coordinate to take the Mendoza bus departing from the terminal station a few blocks from there.

I think you will be impressed with Bariloche and personally would not tweak your present itinerary. Since you might move to one of these locations in the future, you will have plenty of time to explore all the smaller towns and surrounding areas in-depth (San Martin de Los Andes, Junin de Los Andes, the Lakes district, Plumerillo in Mendoza, etc)...

I would not know about work/job opportunities but if the real estate industry doesn't collapsed or enters a deep recession your background might be useful in that many foreigners would prefer to deal with an american expat knowledgeable in such niche, provided you are considering exploring this industry in Argentina.

Erica Cranley
Username: Poots

Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I would like to organise a trip to Iguazu Falls, preferably on a budget, so would be travelling by bus, you said buses are regular, would they be daily to Iguazu Falls, and do you now is it possible to purchase tickets for 1 or 2 days entry to the Waterfalls or do you have to go with a pre-arranged tour group, any information you have would be very much appreciated.

Thanking you in advance

Erica

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 786
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome Erica, yes, there are many daily departures from several bus operators so it should be easy to buy tickets at the bus terminal in Retiro (Buenos Aires) but be aware of the peak days (around holidays). I would not know about buying tickets to the national park/Iguazu falls but I imagine that once you get there, you will have plenty of small providers offering private tours... I can't say this is better or worse than a pre-arranged tour, neither cheaper or more expensive. About the only difference is that you may have some more freedom by doing this on your own although risks are higher as well (you may have to wait, or not get what you want, etc...)

Robert Black
Username: Bob53

Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, I was in Montevideo, Uruguay last year with my wife... we had such a good time, people there are great, and there are so much places to visit, we stayed in a short term rental apartment hotels-montevideo.com it was so good, it's near the beach and everything else.
We loved it, you should totally go there
have fun
bye

Bob

(Message edited by admin on November 27, 2008)

nellie Peck
Username: Skiracer

Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My husband and I are headed to Argentina at the end of November for 11 nights, and I am trying to figure out the best way to plan our time there.

Our loose plan as of now is to fly into Buenos Aires and stay there for 4 nights, fly to Mendoza and stay there for 4 nights and then fly back to Buenos Aires and take the ferry to Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay for 2 nights and then finally take the ferry back to Buenos Aires for one night before flying home.

So- I guess my question is...does this semm reasonable? I don't want to be racing around...
Also- do you guys think spending 3 nights in Mendoza and then 3 nights in Uruguay might make more sense?
What about traveling from Mendoza to Colonia del Sacramento in one day?

Thanks much!

Brett Jones
Username: Brettski

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi All,

I'm no expert and not even in Argentina at the moment, but from personal experience I would say to Erica that for a budget trip to Iguazu that the local buses go to the Argentine side very regularly, take you to the gates and are very cheap, you buy your ticket for the park on the gate. The only disadvantage is that it stops several times en route, so takes longer than an arranged tour. If you can spare the time go over to see them from the Brazilian side too, it's a different experience. You can take a local bus over the border to Foz de Iguazu and another to the falls from there, or save time by changing buses at an intermediate point on the Brazilian side, but this needs confidence and good info as you are left on a roadside, hoping you picked the right stop for the changeover. Again buy your ticket for the falls on the gate.

To Nellie, I would say that Colonia is lovely and slow paced but if you are not travelling beyond there in Uruguay, then perhaps you would experience more spending more time in Buenos Aires and only one right in Colonia to recover from the cities and the travelling. Personally I would go straight from the Mendoza flight to the ferry terminal for Colonia. Depending on the time of your flight and your pace there are fast and slow crossings.

Hope this helps,
Brett

nellie Peck

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Brett- Thanks a lot for the advice.
After hearing your thoughts on Colonia, I am thinking it might make sense to bag it altogether and just make the trip to Iguaza falls for a couple of nights and then head back to BA. I was just trying to avoid 2 plane tickets- one from BA to Mendoza and another from Mendoza to Iguaza...but, I think I will regret not seeing the falls. Though Colonia sounds pretty, I am not sure it is worth seeing over the falls. I keep reading that Iguaza is such an amazing place.
Do you think 2-3 nights in Mendoza is enough to get a sense for the area and see a handful of vineyards?
Do you think flying is the best way to get from Mendoza to Iguaza?

Thanks again,
Nellie

Geoff Pearson
Username: Gpearson

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Michael,

When you cross to Colonia, be sure to take a bottle of good insect repellant with you. The mosquitos there are of the Kamikaze variety.

My wife & I did a similar trip to that you propose a couple of years ago & travelled up as far as La Paloma. There are regular bus services from Colonia to most of the major destinations in Uruguay but probably best to book your seats before you leave BsAs as the buses seem to be synchronised with the ferry arrivals.

I'm not sure if it's possible but, if we were doing it again, we would take the ferry directly to Montevideo & by-pass Colonia altogether. I'm not sure if there is actually a direct BsAs - Montevideo ferry as we found it difficult to get that information but others on the forum might know. It's quite a long ferry ride to Colonia & then a longish bus ride to get anywhere with not much of note to see. Going through Colonia is the long way round & I don't know why the locals do that if there is a Montevideo direct alternative as a look at the map suggests that it is a much more direct alternative.

To be frank, we were a little disappointed with Uruguay. Montevideo is very nice but outside of that, apart from the beaches that someone has already mentioned, IMHO there's not a lot that you can do or see that comes close to what's on the menu in Argentina. La Paloma for example, seems to be one of those places that comes alive for a few weeks in the summer & then goes into hibernation the rest of the year. We found too that outside of Montevideo, the tourism infrastructure is a bit dodgy. The beach hotel that we pre-booked in La Paloma was to put it mildly... shocking. So bad that we forfeited 4-days prepayment & left early.

We thought that Montevideo was well worthwhile but our perception nevertheless was that it lacked the sophistication & vibrancy of Bs As. Maybe it has something to do with all of the Mate they drink over there? Uruguayans drink Mate all the time, everywhere! I hope the foregoing doesn't offend anyone because we found Uruguayans to be very nice & hospitable people and, despite the disappointments, we enjoyed the experience. It's simply an honest personal take... no more, no less.

With regard to the rest of your itinary, have you considered Salta? I have never been (yet!) but, based on what we have learned from Google my wife & I are visiting this coming January. Everything that we have read, including visitor feedback on tripadvisor.com & welcomeargentina.com suggests that it is well worth consideration.

HTH

Geoff Pearson

MIchael Calero
Intermediate Member
Username: Michael795

Post Number: 126
Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here is a informative youtube.com video which will give you an idea what to expect in Uruguary of a couple going to Punta del Este. There is no ferry from Buenos Aires to Montevideo, there is the ferry then one takes the bus there. Enjoy the video of this couple: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf_O5MhunUk

(Message edited by admin on October 10, 2009)

Leandro
Username: Leandro

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all
Michael H. I think about relocated if is Mendoza or Bariloche. I am living in Mendoza and I went to Bariloche, Is true when you said about weather. Bariloche is more could and Mendoza has a more hot weather, You remember Colombia is very near to Caribbean and the weather is more hot. Mendoza and Bariloche are beautiful cites.
If you speak English (you are gringo) and also Spanish is very easy here in Mendoza, have a new job, you can work with tourism, create business, English institute and for example our case depending the time we need a translate English to Spanish. I am a real estate agent, we have a lot of consult.
good luck with your trip
Welcome to Argentina
www.mendozahomes.com.ar

Brett Jones

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nellie,
I think you are right - I will never forget my trip to Iguazu and in my opinion a couple of days is fine, one for each side of the falls. Though they have so many tourists the resorts at Iguazu do not have a great deal to keep you there longer and to be honest, the experience of the falls is enough, nothing could compete. From the Brazilian side you get the big prehistoric-looking panoramas and from the Argentine side you get to walk over, under and around the falls - you might want to take waterproofs or a set of dry clothes, especially if you take the wild boat trips. If you're not into that there is a calm eco-trip in an inflatable on the river above the falls which I recommend too if you like wildlife spotting.
Sorry, but I know nothing of internal flights in Argentina (I always take the buses), though I'm sure Roberto can help you on that.
Brett

Brett Jones

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry Nellie, I forget to answer about Mendoza. It really depends on your interests (and your energy levels) on how long you would want to spend in Mendoza. A trip to the high mountains is a long day trip, but I enjoyed it (take a jumper for when you get to altitude, it gets cold and windy, no matter what the weather lower down). The thermal baths at Cacheuta are a bit rustic and very busy, family orientated but worth a look and of course there are a bunch (if you'll excuse the pun) of vineyards to visit in easy reach of the city, so there are arranged tours to take in several in one day.
In the city, San Martin Park is lovely and you can take a little minibus trip through the park up to La Gloria for panoramic views of the city and if you understand Spanish the commentary gives you a little history lesson too.
I only have my own experience to call on and if anyone has a better idea I would cede to them, but I would say that 3 nights in Mendoza will give you a taste of the place and is a sensible balance to fit in your 3 centres in 11 days.

nellie Peck

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Brett- wow- what a help all of this information has been! I am so appreciative.

Do we need a visa to see the Brazilian side of the falls?
I booked a couple of nights in the Hotel Cataratas, but then read a review that said there were ants in the bed... My husband and I don't need high end at all, but that review did concern me a little bit. Do you know anything about this place?

Now, the only concern is getting from place to place. I don't want to spend a lot of time en route, so I think flying makes the most sense for us. With that said, it looks like we will be spending about $1000 on airfare within Argentina (for my husband and I to get from BA to Mendoza and then Mendoza to Iguaza and back to BA) and that is a little more than I wanted to spend.

Roberto- do you think a travel agent could arrange something cheaper for us? (for these 3 flights)? We have already booked hotel rooms, so really just need the flights and maybe a rental car in Mendoza. I am not sure how this works and if the travel agent likes to arrange everything or can just arrange pieces of the trip. Any insight you can provide would be wonderful.

Thank you!

richard cooperman
Username: Eroica38

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nellie,

I too had heard bad things about Hotel Cataratas. When I went to Iguazu two years ago I stayed at a small B&B in the town of Puerto Iguazu. It was a very wise choice and I highly recommend it. The B&B was fine and inexpensive. The owner, who speaks very good english, was very, VERY helpful - he arranged for a car to pick us up at the airport and take us/from the park. He also recommended some restaurants in town. We stayed two nights in Iguazu. The name of the B&B is Secret Garden and it is the town of Puerto Iguazu. An easy way to get information is to go to www.tripadvisor.com, and look for Puerto Iguazo in Argentina. Secret GArden is listed as a B&B.

Brett Jones

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,
I seem to be running out of advice, as I'm afraid that I don't know the Hotel Cateratas and I didn't find any hotel while I was there that I would recommend. Robert's recommendation sounds promising though.
As a Brit I did not need a visa to cross to Brazil, but I thought I read something about a Brazil making a reciprocal charge for US citizens in response to the US visa charges, so best to check this.

richard cooperman
Username: Eroica38

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

As a US citizen you are officially required to get a visa to enter Brazil. I was told the VISA fee is $200. Best to check with a Brazilian Consulate in the US before going.

When I was in Iguazu I was told that the checking of VISA's was rather lax and that taxi drivers could get you across from argentina to Brazil for the day without a problem. You do not need the VISA to get back into Argentina.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1938
Posted on Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good advise, folks. Like Brett stated, Brazil retaliated US visitors by enforcing the visa requirement. Even if there is a lack of enforcement I would be cautious. You do not want to make your vacation a nightmare.

Nellie, a good travel agent should sell you what you need. Contact Erna on Monday morning and ask her for a price for flights BA-MEN-BA-IGUAZU-BA for a party of two and you can get an idea. She can quote you separately a car rental in Mendoza although many have used "remises" or private drivers successfully. Erna can deliver the vouchers/plane tickets to your place of stay in BA. One alternative you can consider is an overnight bus to Iguazu from Buenos Aires. A bus from Mendoza is possible but it will just take too long.

MIchael Calero
Intermediate Member
Username: Michael795

Post Number: 127
Posted on Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I paid $110 for a Brazilan Visa good for five years, it has to be used within 90 days if obtained in the USA before coming which was stated on the visa when I received it. If you have a government pension from the USA for $300 you can get a permanent non working visa.

nellie Peck

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks all for the information/ advice.

Richard- Thank you. I will look into that B&B instead of Hotel Cateratas.

Roberto- I will get in touch with Erna tomorrow.

Thank you all!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration