Four weeks in Argentina Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Four weeks in Argentina « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anne Harrits
Username: Anne

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello

We are two persons traveling in Argentina from the 14th of September until the 13th of October.

Our plan so far is as follows – is it doable?

17th of September: From BA to Puerto Iguazú by plane.
Then we will spend the 18th and the 19th around Iguazú seing the falls – in boats and hiking.

20th of September: From Puerto Iguazú to Salta by plane.
In Salta we will spend our time perhaps doing Salta, Jujuy and go for a ride in Tren a las Nubes. Perhaps do a hike for a day or so…

25th of September: From Salta to Tucuman or San Fernando – Salinas Grandes/de Ambargasta by bus.
Here we will spend a few days exploring the salinas if possible.

30th of September: From the salinas to Mendoza also by bus.
Some winetasting and also some hikes and nature-stuff, if the weather allows it.

4th of October: From Mendoza to somewhere at the Pampas (suggestions are welcome?). This will be a daytrip in bus, so that we will get to see the landscape as we pass by. We are planning on just spending one afternoon and night on the Pampas before we head of to BA again.

5th of October: From the Pampas to BA – also by bus.

7th of October: From BA to Trelew (Peninsula Valdés) – by plane.
Here we basically just want to see the whales, why we are not planning on spending more time than necessary here. (Do we need another day here?)

9th of October: From Peninsula Valdés to BA.
Just spending the last days in BA before going back to Denmark on the 13th of October.

How does this schedule seem to you? Are we kind of doing too much in too short time?

Are we forgetting any important sights on the way? Will you recommend us doing anything else than listed in the above.
Which agency will you recommend in BA to arrange both the trips in Iguazú and at Peninsula Valdés?

Thank you so much for your help in advance.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 674
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome!
I think you are covering a good deal and should make for a nice trip. However, putting all this together may pose some problems...

Dates are too close for all these bookings and most travel agents will probably do not want to get involved in a trip that has so many bus legs. It just makes no sense for an agent to get involved in scheduling buses since this is a do-it-yourself type of thing...

Most of the bus tickets can be conveniently purchased by you at the Retiro bus terminal station upon arrival, but the logistics of putting all destinations and dates together can be complex. You will have to study which bus companies do which route and then check the scheduling and make sure you have lodging in each place for those dates. A lot of work, basically done for free since bus companies may not offer commissions to agents...

So briefly, a travel agent may look at your trip and decide this can be accomplished faster and better if you do the bus bookings and then *buy* stay or tours for certain places/dates. But then, you have the problem of timing...

Traveling by bus is great in Argentina but do not expect too much help from travel agents.

Take also into account that some of the routes you have chosen are not really 'commercially available' for agents. The trip to the pampas is not really "in the map" for most agents so they may have to go out of their way trying to make that fit.

Considering the closeness of the dates an agent may tweak this trip to fit his/her convenience and you may not be happy. My recommendation is that if you have time to spare on each destination and are flexible with dates, that you try to just do this on your own (by bus) and that at each destination you request help from the hotel you will be staying. They can arrange all tours for you.

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 137

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The coastal towns of Buenos Aires province are very nice if you like beaches and boats.
There are a couple of mountain ranges in the south of Buenos Aires province that has some spectacular scenery.
The population of Argentina mostly lives in Buenos Aires province.
That means you are never too far from civilization while being able to enjoy the fertile plains and plateaus of the richest province of Argentina.
There are three places I would like to see in Argentina I have not seen. Bariloche, Igazu falls, and the whales in Valdez.

Two bus companies I recommend are Nandu del Sur and Condor Estrezia(sp?).
Rapido has some excellent long distance buses but their locals, a few hundred kilomerters or less, are Spartan at best.
The prices are so inexpensive that bus companies cannot afford to pay commisons to travel agents.

Argentina tends to have lots of holidays and people travel by bus a when there is one. If you are traveling on holidays book the bus ticket when you get to your destination immediately is my recommendation.

Also, buses tend to travel long distances at night. Not much sight seeing available.

I think most people do not even realize that Buenos Aires is not only the biggest city in Argentina, it is also a very large beautiful and diverse province. When I say I love Argentina, what I really mean is I love Buenos Aries the city and the province. I will have to do some traveling to be able to say more even though I find most everything I want in Buenos Aires et al.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration