Flights to El Calafate and Ushuaia Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Flights to El Calafate and Ushuaia « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ken Chan
Username: Whkc100

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello.

We are going to be in Argentina next Easter (the first 2 weeks of April).

One of the things we are planning to do is to go see the glaciers and Tierra del Fuego.

We don't have too much time, so we will have to fly. We are thinking of flying AEP -> FTE -> USH -> AEP. How much will the ticket cost? Is it going to be Aerolineas Argentina? (They don't like the only airline flying there).

And when do you think we should purchase the tickets to be safe? (So that we will get the flights on the date we really want?)

The glaciers, Upsala, and all the tours in Patagonia, will they still run on Good Friday and Easter Monday etc?

Finally, if one has to choose between Ushuaia and Bariloche, which one would you recommend visit better?

Thanks
Ken.

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 117

Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good questions Ken and welcome.
I will answer a couple and look to my compatriots to help more.
Roberto is the resident Guru.
Aerolineas like other airlines don't do holidays. They fly their normal schedules no matter what the day. I spent last new years flying from Bs As to Miami. Midnight came two times.
Bariloche is a year round destination which I am told is unbeatable in Argentina.
I plan to go there my next trip down.
I have a couple of friends who are building a new developement on the lake there. Can't remember the name of the lake but it is the largest in Argentina I am told.

Good luck

Ken Chan

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the reply. Tom.
I noticed my own typo there. It should have said:
(They look like the only airline flying there).

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 124

Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Walking the glaciers would be cool I think.

A friend told me a story about one time he was there and they wanted a cold drink so they chipped some ice and Viola.

Ice is not used that much in Argentina like it is in the states.

No shortage on the glaciers.

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 125

Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

One more thing. Easter is a holiday that is much traveled by Argentines as well as tourist.
I would book early.

Prices do go up also.

Ken Chan

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Tom. I still would need someone to answer my original questions before I start planning. Roberto perhaps?

Ken

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 685
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ken, Aerolineas Argentinas has that entire route (BUE-CFE-USH-BUE) at usd $755 non-stop, per person. For better pricing you can contact Erna at erna@travelsur.net since she is trying to get better deals with some other airlines.

Both Ushuaia and Bariloche are unique and a MUST. Choosing will only depend on your personal wants. I love the beauty of picturesque Bariloche and Ushuaia makes me somewhat scared 'caused it is in the end of the World' and I find it inhospitable. But others may feel just the opposite and see more attractiveness in that. Ushuaia is probably nothing you have ever seen before or will see... But for me, the choice is Bariloche.

Ken Chan

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Roberto. I will certainly contact Erna. I did do a bit of research, and as far as I know, only LAN Argentina flies that route, but they also fly that route during summer (i.e. no flights in April).

We at the moment are choosing Ushuaia over Bariloche because we want to visit the most unique things in Argentina - things that we won't see in other places in the world. For what I heard, Bariloche is a bit like Switzerland (which I visited a few times) - with mountains and lakes etc. Whereas the end of the world sounds like something we won't experience elsewhere. :-)

We don't want to book the air tickets too early, because the itinerary is then fixed, but we are aware that lots of people will be travelling during Easter, when we will be travelling. Do you think there should still be plenty of seats in Janauary?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 687
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, Jan will be a good time to check back

E
Username: Theforest

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am looking to book a flight from Buenos Aires to El Calafate Nov 3-8 for 2 people. My friend has been calling the airline and getting very inconsistent info. Can you help?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 697
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

E, there was a recent price hike by Aerolineas and as of last week by LAN, so there is some confusion out there. If you can wait 24 hours I will post price/availability here...

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 698
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

E, Aerolineas has that ticket at usd $540 per person, roundtrip +/-. For a better service you can always consult Erna at erna@travelsur.net

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration