Medical Tourism in Argentina Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Medical Tourism in Argentina « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 590
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

post your experiences here...

Emil Anne McDonald
Username: Emily_anne

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello everyone!

My name is Emily and I am a graduate student at Rutgers University. Right now I'm in Buenos Aires doing a project on "medical tourism" - a name for when people from other countries get medical treatments in Argentina. I am eager to learn more - and interested in talking to people with a range of experiences (for example, someone who decided to get a new pair of glasses while on vacation all the way to someone who traveled to Argentina specifically to get surgery). I'm interested in talking to doctors, nurses, real estate brokers, patients, tour guides - anyone who has a part to play in the process!

I'm in Buenos Aires for the next couple weeks, and could really use suggestions about who would be best to talk to - and how to get in touch with them. Also, I would love to chat by email - if that would be easier. My email is emcd.rutgers@gmail.com.

Thank you for all for the help!

Emily

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 591
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome Emily, I hope others participate.

Since you are in Buenos Aires why don't you try contacting Claudia Pelcman at 4821-9070? Her husband runs a dental clinic and is involved with this and my understanding is that Claudia has done a lot of research on medical tourism in Buenos Aires and has made great local contacts. She can probably give advise/information. That phone number is for their clinic. If you decide to contact them and can't reach Claudia on that phone number drop a line here and I will look up her personal contact information. Mention my name and she will know. I've known them for several decades.

Also, it will be really useful if you can post any findings at the forum.

(Message edited by admin on July 02, 2006)

Emily McDonald

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Great - THANK YOU so much for this contact info, Roberto. This is exactly the kind of information I am looking for. And of course, I will keep the forum updated on my findings - I hoping to figure out how the system works (in general), what connections and links are being made to help medical tourist access treatment. I've pasted a description of my project below (in Spanish), in case this is useful for some of the forum participants. Also - I apologize for my Spanish - I'm taking classes 6 hours a day and talking to people every change I get - but it is a slow process for me!

(Project Description in Spanish):

Me llamo Emily McDonald y estoy haciendo una investigación académica sobre turismo médico en Buenos Aires. Soy de Nueva York y voy a estar en la ciudad por poco tiempo. Me gustaría realizarle algunas entrevistas a doctores que trabajen en este campo para obtener una mejor comprensión de este sistema. Las entrevistas generalmente demoran media hora y se llevan a cabo en el tiempo y lugar que el entrevistado crea conveniente. La información que se discuta en las entrevistas será confidencial.

Esta investigación cuenta con el apoyo de la Fundación Nacional de Ciencia (E.E. U.U.) y Rutgers, la Universidad de Nueva Jersey.

Si Ud. tiene interés en participar de esta investigación, por favor, contáctese conmigo vía teléfono al (54 11) 4832 – 8484 o por email a emcd.rutgers@gmail.com.

Muchas gracias por su atención. Espero que podamos a hablar en alguna oportunidad.

Saludos cordiales,

Emily McDonald

Emily McDonald

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto -

I just wanted to THANK you again, for your introduction to Dr. Pelcman, because of your generocity he was willing to meet with me and the interview went very well! He was very helpful, and explained a lot about how his foreign patients come to him not only because the treatments are up to 5X less expensive, but also because of the high quality of his work!

If you, or anyone else, has an idea of any other doctors, nurses, travel agency workers, real estate brokers, etc. that may have some involvement in medical tourism, I would veyr much appreciate your help!

john keegan
Username: Jono

Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi there, me and my girlfriend are heading to Argentina for a six months and have just found out we are pregnant with our first child. We've decided to go ahead with the trip as we have been planning it for a number of years. My girlfriend is british and we were wondering whether or not it is easy for a foreigner to get scans, blood pressure and urine/protein checks in Argentinian hospitals and/or medical centres. We will most probably be travelling about whilst there and more than likely our interests will take us to rural locations. Has anyone got any advice ?

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 267

Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You do know that native American women used to go out to pick corn, drop a baby, pick it up and carry it and the corn back to the teepee,

Argentina has excellent doctors with adequate health facilities.

Good luck

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think it will come down to how you plan to pay for the services. If you are paying cash then, of course, it is not a problem. Argentina has some of the finest doctors and hospitals in the world (private). If you have insurance from home most places will require you to pay now and then you file for reimbursement upon return home. I am not sure if you will be eligible to purchase private insurance in Argentina if you are a temporary non resident alien. There is travel insurance you can buy but typically it is for major health problems and not well care even pre-natal. Plus it often carries heavy deductibles and co-pays. There is also insurance to evacuate you home in the case of an emergency.

So do they have the doctors and facilities. Of course. Call you embassy from home (or the US embassy) and ask for referals to doctors, clinics and hospitals in BA. The embassy recommends the hospital Aleman but it is often very full. You might even ask for an English speaking doctor. Bring your wife's records with you. So if you see an OB in BA they can check on the results of tests already done at home.

I would avoid at all costs public hospitals. They are underfunded and while they have great doctors their facilities are barely adequate to meet basic needs.

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi John,
I'm 8 months pregnant and am due around Christmas so I can give you firsthand experience. Unfortunately you won't be able to get too many medical plans to cover you, but yes normally you can buy insurance even as a foreigner. I am currently covered by Medicus which has been great and covers everything I could possibly need.

There are a couple of insurances available here that will cover her already pregant, if you want to email me I can get the names for you. Otherwise you will be best to pay out of pocket which will be much less than what you probably pay back home or try and get reimbursed. I wouldn't even waste the time or money on travel insurance.

Also if you email me I can get you some referrals for drs. I love the one I have but I don't know exactly what you would be looking for.

I would caution you to be careful traveling around, again not sure how far along she is, but you don't want to get into areas that have malaria and yellow fever problems, and if you're going to be way out in the country - think of her and baby if you get into an emergency situation.

Anyway feel free to email me if you want at movingtoargentina@gmail.com

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 828
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

John, rural areas will be a lot different than the city of Buenos Aires when it comes to medical coverage. Last year, I paid out of my pocket all possible services for my girlfriend at Sanatorio Matter Dei and we couldn't be happier. Expensive in argentine currency but a lot cheaper than in the US and far better and personalized service. However, argentine colleagues in medical school in Boston think that US medical coverage is far superior (cost them north of usd $700 per month per person so no surprises). Anyway, we are considering a move down there for her delivery around April... and have experienced both sides of the tropics at length.

A few years ago I was able to get a full refund from my US insurance from a surgery I performed in Buenos Aires. It took some effort though.

One thing they did to her here in the US that surprised my family in Argentina was a complete genetic profile (expensive) that is not rutine down there, including geneticist consultation and such. Not common. And perhaps even less heard of are cordblood registries in case you decide to keep your newborn's blood stem cells stored safely. This is the only thing that may tilt the balance north as opposed to south in our case.

(Message edited by admin on November 05, 2006)

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto,
I had a complete genetic profile done in Bs.As. here which I could have never gotten covered on my US insurance without a major fight. I've actually also had a CVS which is not as routinely used in the States because of the expense, yet allows genetic testing for downs syndrome at only around 16 weeks instead of 20. I've also been able to continue to see this same geneticist for all my ultrasounds. I've been amazed at how the private insurance here is - things that were a big fight when I was preparing to get pregnant last year are covered here with much less hassle. For me it's been a godsend. And, my c-section will be covered and done at the best hospital here. All for the measly cost of 165.00 US per month. (well measly for me at least when I was paying 350 a month in US and had to still pay copays and deductibles as well).

I also think that there are possibilities beginning to take place for cordblood registries, but this is from someone who is planning to do it here, so I don't know the details.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 832
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You have just tilted the balance towards the southern border a little more :-)... Could you say:

1. How long it took you to get your Medicus and which specific coverage this is?
2. What kind of paperwork were you asked for?
3. Were you already pregnant? Perhaps so, if you are 8 months...

I understand the above is private so no grudges. The cord blood is a big one. I know I could ship it from Argentina and they would stock it as long as it arrives within 36 hours but you never know. More problematic... are there nurses trained in how to extract that blood? Please share with us whatever info you get.

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Have no problem sharing this information - I make it a point to do so in my blog all the time because I think it's so important.

I was due to lose my Florida Cobra insurance this past August and I would have been unable to get it at all while pregnant in the States.
So, we got Medicus three months before we moved here on one of our scouting trips. We showed them our passports, gave them an address of a friend here, and paid to sign up. No I wasn't pregnant yet. The woman who signed us up and has been very helpful to us since, has told me that they can't cover if already pregnant but gave me two other company names that will. The coverage we have is the second highest and includes a 2 month travel coverage outside the country as well as Duke University coverage while in the States.
Needless to say I got here and got pregnant only two weeks after the waiting period to get pregnant ended...talk about someone watching over us :-)

On the cord blood banking, I really don't know. I wasn't planning on doing it. But I can ask my friend what she knows.

Hope this helps.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 833
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you, Laura.

john keegan
Username: Jono

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the advice, the corn idea sounds good, not sure the missus will buy it, i guess we´re gonna have to look at the best insurance and take it from there.

quovadis johnson
Username: Shorty

Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello I visite plenitas in april i changed my mind the next day I havent received my money yet.Do anybody know what can I do I live in atlanta georgia.Everytime i call them or email them they just tell me that they are working on it.

Jude OHara
Username: Jude1971

Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am not surprised to hear that Quovadis. It is similar to experiences I have been told of in my work with our charity foundation.

Do excuse me pasting my message from another thread but I think the information is vital for people to know about - to entrust our bodies and our health into the hands of others is the single most important decision most of us will make and I´d like to introduce a charity foundation to you that is here to provide information.

Dear all,
Its been interesting reading your thoughts on cosmetic surgery. I would like to let you know about a Charity Foundation set up specifically to help those of us needing unbiased and non commercial advice about what surgeon to choose, and to navigate the minefield of medical tourism companies. If you are looking for advice then do please contact us, we have no vested interest in referring particular surgeons to you as we are a non profit charity and exist solely via the donations of our patrons and satisfied patients

AestheticArgentina.org is a non-profit referral and support service in partnership with The International Aesthetic Foundation. We also serve as a peer advisory network connecting you with patients who have had direct personal experience with the procedure or doctor you may be considering. We offer:

Expert guidance at no cost to those in search of cosmetic or re-constructive treatments

An unbiased alternative to the commercial interests of "medical tourism"

Financial support to further the important work of our partner charities in Latin America via donations received from around the world.

AestheticArgentina is not a commercial service. Read "Our Story" at our website for more about us and why we are free.

We offer our services at no cost whether or not you use the doctors we recommend - As a result of our own personal experiences in the world of plastic surgery, we know first-hand the devastation that can come from looking into a mirror only to find a stranger staring back.

We have learned the hard way -- with our guidance, you won´t have to. We are here to help you make the right choices.

I am not here to criticise other medical tourism providers in Buenos Aires - suffice to say that all of us on the team at AestheticArgentina have used the surgeons and have had procedures at the largest providers and were unsatisfied (not to say disfigured in some cases) and are doing what we can to make sure others do NOT have to suffer in the same way.

A fantastic focus of the project is that we are raising funds and awareness for our partner charities. Our website has all the details but if you have any queries whatsoever please do not hesitate to contact me directly

Jude OHara. Please check my profile for more information.

(Message edited by admin on December 11, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration