Safety in Buenos Aires Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Safety in Buenos Aires « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 579
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

We can discuss and help Wizo here...

Wizo
Username: Wizo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I see many posts from people looking to retire in Argentina. I'm instead looking at living there for a few years with my family. My wife is Argentine and we have two young kids. I'm more concerned about security and environmental issues that financial ones.

For those of you living in Buenos Aires, do you see any issues with living there with young kids? Is it safe enough? Where are the best areas for familes to live - Barrio Norte, Recoleta? We'd love to buy a place but since we'd need around 100m2 those areas are probably too expensive to pay in cash.

Any advice would be great.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 580
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wizo welcome!

Yes, in Buenos Aires city (capital federal) there are safety issues when it comes to both the young and the elderly. But there are also different neighborhoods, different activities and different circles.

Recoleta, Barrio Norte, some areas in Palermo and a few other spots (check some of the newer development areas) can be considered *safer* in a way. You may still hear about isolated incidents. Recently, Michael Koh -who sometimes writes here- mentioned that an average price in a decent area of the city can go for usd $1500/m2 and up to usd $2500/m2 in places like La Recoleta.

I think -in general- if you can afford to live in one of these neighborhoods, choose Schools correctly and become acquainted with the city, you could greatly minimize any danger. Some foreigners have reported on this forum that Bs. As. is a lot safer than other comparable large cities and my personal opinion is that it is fine. But I never take my eyes from my little nephew when I take him to the park or to the mall. I guess that is just good parenting (or uncle_ing)

Wizo
Username: Wizo

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Roberto. I spent 3 months in Capital a couple of years back and it didn't seem more dangerous than other big cities (except for the crazy bus drivers!) It's just the stories of kidnappings, etc,. that make me concerned about living there with kids...

Paul Ghidossi
Username: Chascomus

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't want to be the pessimist, but after living here 15 years, going through all different safety levels.....it seems to be getting worse again. Whenever you see political battles going on between the president and other groups....the end result seems to be more crime.
Now you have the president vs. the press.....not a good combination if you calculate the outcome.
Any comments or questions feel free to pm me!

(Message edited by admin on July 08, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration