German Communities Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » German Communities « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ludger Borger
Username: Ludger

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,
I have been reading about a German community in Paraguay and I was wondering if there is also a German community in Argentina that still speaks German to this day?
Ludger

Deby Novitz
Username: Tangospam

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, there is in Buenos Aires, but I cannot tell you too much more than this. There is a german-argentine school that people say is excellent. The children are taught in both languages.

Gustavo Flores
Username: Xgustax

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes many people in Argentina still speak German you hear it on the streets of Buenos Aires and a bunch of cities throughout Argentina that I have heard about. If you want I can look up cities for you?

Ludger Borger
Username: Ludger

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you Gustavo. Yes, it would be great if you could look up the cities for me. I am visiting Argentina soon and I would like to meet some German speaking people because I do not speak much Spanish yet. If you can figure it out, I would be interested to know if there is any region where there are more Germans than in others.
Thanks for your help.

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The town of General Belgrano in Cordoba province is inhabited by many of the crew of the Graf Spee. Given the choice of returning to Germany or settling in the mountains of Argentina they wisely chose the later. They did not think the Nazi leaders would have approved of their sinking their ship in Montevideo harbor.

If you go into many of the shops along the main street you will see pictures of the crew and other memorabilia of the ship and crew. Of course the surviving members of the crew would be in their 80's now. There have an October fest every year in the town. I do not know what level of assimilation has occured. Subsequent generations may not speak German but I am not sure. It is a great town to visit. I frankly like the City of Cordoba to be very nice and the surrounding countryside great to visit.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 587
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ludger, check the province of Entre Rios. Very sizeable german communities in some of the smaller towns. In addition to Gustavo's findings and Bill's comments, check this other thread for links to past german settlements and german immigration to Argentina. You may want to explore some of those areas too...

Gustavo Flores
Username: Xgustax

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I found an amazing article that is still underconstruction, but it has a list of some of the colonies that were started by Volga Germans. http://www.alemanesvolga.com.ar/historia/colonias/index.html
As far as I can see most of those towns are still speak German =) As far as I can look up and as you can see there are a lot of these towns. Hopefully I can find more for you, but heres a few. Look more into them and get back to me which one you plan to visit!

Do you plan to come live here?

Thanks Gustavo

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration