Argentina Student Visas - Tango History Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Argentina Student Visas - Tango History « Previous Next »
Author Message
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 556
Registered: 12-2004
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Isaac, let's discuss this topic here.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Isaac Ho
New member
Username: Lonewolf

Post Number: 1
Registered: 6-2006
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto and all,

I am writing with regards to the application of a long term visa to
Argentina, Buenos Aires.

It is my wish to study spanish, tango and philosophy in
Bs.As. However, I need some assistance with regards to a visa that
allows my long term stay in Argentina.

My plans are to study spanish in a private school for about a year, or
whatever period that will allow me to reach a proficient level for
studying philosophy in University of Buenos Aires (UBA). Then continue
to study philosophy in UBA for a further three years.

Most importantly, I would like to stay long term, for about three to
four years in Buenos Aires to learn Tango at the same time.

I plan to go to Buenos Aires in mid August 2006. So far I have
shortlisted a number of private schools, the common feedback from them
is that I need about four months of study to reach my desired spanish
proficiency level.

Hence, most logically I would need a student visa for four months.
However, I am not certain if four months is enough to reach my desired
spanish level; there is no guarantee. In addition I would actually
like to stay in Buenos Aires for three to four years. Hence, a four
month student visa would actually not be enough.

I would like to enquire a possiblity and procedures of getting a long
term student visa, if not a long term tourist visa. Currently my
Singapore passport allows me a stay for up to 90 days.

I understand that there are many foreigners that have travelled to BA
and stayed there for a long time to learn about spanish or tango. I
would like to know how to go about doing that, and what kind of visa
do they have.

Also I'd like to know part time job prospects for an english and chinese speaking foreigner.

Thank you.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Howard
New member
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 4
Registered: 5-2006
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have read about people taking the ferry to Uruguay shortly before their tourist visa expires and then returning to BA the same day thereby restarting their time limit in Argentina. Not sure if that will work for you. Good luck.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 558
Registered: 12-2004
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Isaac, what Bill suggested is done by many. As much as those doing it anywhere in the world. In the US, people just travel to Canada or Mexico and that's it but there is always some risk.

Given that you are applying for classes at College you best bet is to have the same 'Facultad de Filosofia y Letras' where you will be studying philosophy, handle everything.

They also offer courses on spanish as a second language, which is what you need. My personal opinion is that a 4 months course will NOT make you proficient, specially since your native language may be radically different.

The spanish courses from 'filo' are great, I heard. And what best if they themselves certify your spanish skills that will take you to the next level. Contact them before anyone else and you may save many headaches. They will guide you on how to legally stay in Argentina as a long term student.

Here you can find information on their spanish courses and also, spanish as a second language.

Their 'orientacion' department will be one way to contact them:

From a leaflet from the University of Buenos Aires I gather as follows:

¿Se necesita Visa para la Argentina?
Se necesita una Visa de Estudiante para residir los dos años de duración del curso en la Argentina. Luego de solicitar la inscripción, la Facultad emite una carta de aceptación de los estudiantes al Curso. Con este documento debe solicitarse la Visa en el Consulado Argentino del país de origen del estudiante. La Visa de estudiante debe tramitarse en el país de origen. Puede haber complicaciones si un estudiante ingresa al país con visa de turista y luego quiere tramitar otro tipo de Visa localmente en Buenos Aires. Por favor no deje de consultar al Consulado Argentino en su país antes de viajar a la Argentina por estudios.

What they suggest, is that you first register for whatever course you intend to take and after approval, they will submit a document you can take to the argentine consulate nearest you where you can apply for a student VISA. Should you enter the country any other way and try to modify your status while in Argentina you may be looking for delays, obstacle and perhaps a flight back to your country.

You may not require an attorney, but you definitely need to pay a visit to the argentine consulate. But I will first contact Filosofia y Letras. With the visa in your pocket and the spanish courses taken care of, you can then worry about tango and work.

Speaking chinese might open some doors for you. On my flight back to the US, there were about 20 business persons from local companies traveling to Beijing for signing agreements. But I do not know of anything concrete.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Isaac Ho
New member
Username: Lonewolf

Post Number: 2
Registered: 6-2006
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post


Thanks Roberto and Bill, for the great information so far.

Yes I am eyeing the spanish course as a second language offered by UBA. UBA will be one of the first place I'll visit when I reach Bs.As. But the thing is their next course that I can register starts march 2007, I do not want to wait till then; I will be learning spanish from a private school until I can start studying spanish in UBA. Hopefully I can start September 2006.

The worst thing about Argentine consulate is that there is none in Singapore. The nearest consulate that represents Singapore in the region is in Indonesia. Which makes things very complicated.

Apparently there are a number of documents I need ( ts%20visas);

1. Letter from the sponsor and a letter from the organization in Argentina where you will be working or studying. ( a contract or an acceptance school certificate legalized by the Ministry of Education.)

2. Good Conduct Certificate for those over 16 years of age, from their local Police Department and the areas where person resided in the past five years. **

3. Good Health Certificate ( HIV and AIDS test must be included ). Check with the Consulate Office for medical form.**

4. Birth certificate and marriage certificate if applicable. **

On top of that all these documents must be translated to Spanish by an authorized translator. I was wondering if I could get all these documents ready and do the visa in Argentina herself?

There is also an agency that I searched on the net, called ARCA (Argentina Residency and Citizenship Advisors). Supposedly they are able to help obtain a one year temporary residency visa. Do you know anything about that?

Nevertheless thanks for the information. I've been searching high and low for answers and your site is one of the most informative and prompt in reply.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
Junior Member
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 31
Registered: 2-2006
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

the translations must be done by certified translators authorized by migraciones so you won't want to do them before coming here. You'll also probably need your passport translated, unless the process is different from the rentista or retirement visas which are the ones I'm most familiar with. Your police record must be no more than three months old and watch how old your b.c. is as well.

Honestly the easiest way is to do the Uruguay route.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 560
Registered: 12-2004
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

From what Laura said, you might be gaining some insight on how to handle things here.

I don't know how this came to be but if you want to do things by the book, nothing gets done. Perhaps decades of corruption and upheavals made everyone cover their a*ses to such degree that there are now mounds of paperwork to be filled for any and every administrative task.

No, I haven't heard about ARCA but if you can prove that you can invest usd $30,000 authorities will grant you a temporary residency for 1 year 'til completion of your investment (need business plan). So that is not out of the cards. For this, you must hire a responsible immigration attorney in Argentina (or in Singapore).

The argentine consulate in Indonesia will want you to fax them the documents, possibly. I just called the 'Ministerio del Interior' and got nowhere but then I called UBA and they told me your best source of information will be the RECTORADO themselves and they suggested you email them here:

This is the department of international relations from the chief office of education. You should email them about your plans and problems you face having no consulate in your country, as well as asking them if translations and notarizations could be done after your arrival. The answer could be yes, who knows... But one piece of advise: nothing is black and white in our country. Monday's morning employee may give you a different answer from Tuesday's afternoon guy. Then, you have been misled... and there is noone to blame.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom Woodson
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 56
Registered: 6-2006

Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There are two ways you can stay longer than ninety days in Argentina that I know of.

First, you do not need a visa if you are a US citizen. The same goes for most other countries.

Exit the country, like has been mentioned, get your passport stamped and return the same day.
You can also go to Argentina immigration and pay 100 pesos and they will extend your stay for another 90 days.

I have done this in Buenos Aires and in Bahia Blanca. The difference is you wait several hours in Bs As due to the numbers of poeple there or 30 minutes or less in Bahia Blanca.

Any Argentine immigration office in whatever city that has one I would assume can do the same.

Hasta luego
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Isaac Ho
New member
Username: Lonewolf

Post Number: 3
Registered: 6-2006
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you all for the help! Every information is helping to shed light on the culture and issues I will encounter in Argentina.

This is most interesting and I feel that would contribute to most of the culture shock I'll experience when I move to Argentina; The government and administration here in Singapore is one of the most straightforward and black & white. Everything is spelt out and done explicitly by the book.

While I guess there are no fixed system or at least ways to work around the system in Argentina, what I hope is at least some people who have been through similar situations to share their experiences and contacts.

The problem with going in and out of the immigration to extend my tourist pass for 90 days at a time is that won't the immigration authorities get suspicious? If they do are there anyway to work around it? And is it actually a good solution for the four years I intend to stay in Bs.As.?

I've actually emailed to UBA awhile back. They are very helpful and prompt this is what they replied;

"Dear Isaac,
First of all, to study a complete degree course, you have to ask for a vacancy ('cupo' in Spanish)in the Argentinian Embassy. The application dates for the year 2006 has already finished, but if you want to apply for next year, you have to ask for the 'cupo' between September and October of this year.
Regarding the costs, we inform you that the UBA is a public institution and it is for free. The only costs you have to support by yourself are the costs of living in Argentina (food, lodging, travels, etc.)and the study materials (books, photocopies, etc.)

Kind regards,

Dirección de Cooperación Internacional
Universidad de Buenos Aires"

With regards to the 'cupo' they mentioned, it is quite impossible for me to ask for one in Singapore due to the fact that there are no embassies. Hence I was thinking of asking UBA when I arrive in Bs.As. in august 2006.

Regardless, I'm coming to Argentina soon. Hopefully everything will smooth out when I arrive.


Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Options: Enable HTML code in message

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration