Making friends in Buenos Aires Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Making friends in Buenos Aires « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

sylvia
Username: Sylvia

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We hope to make lots of friends in BA... my son aged 13 years speaks fluent spanish. We are both friendly people and are very much looking forward to being there soon.

I hope to be able to have some contacts with some of you from this site before we arrive... especially if you have children the same age as my son.

Please write to me.

Thanks
Sylvia and Jordan

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 508
Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sylvia, you can definitely make friends in Buenos Aires. We don't have a huge number of members here and most are looking for leads after contributing. Others might be busy enough that just respond to inquiries when they can or are argentines who may not be looking to increase their inner circle. But don't let this deter you, in case noone responds...

We are friendly people and love to hang out. In fact, we make this our national passtime. Once here, you will have no problem in finding the right crowd. And if I am down there I will definitely pm you.

sylvia
Username: Sylvia

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Roberto .. we look forward to meeting you.

I would like to know the best way to have US$ transferred to Argentina ... some people tell me Travellers Cheques .. any suggestions please.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 515
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you are asking about transfering a substantial amount, like your savings, you may first need a bank account there. For that, you must reside in Argentina. You can transfer virtually any amount of money but anything over 30k will come under scrutiny by the Central Bank and you will have to justify the source as well as the reason for the transfer. There are a few services that may help out with this, under the table, but you need to know the right guys. Banks will charge you 1/2% of the amount transfered or usd $60 minimum.

If smaller amounts, like when traveling for vacations, you can take money from local ATMs at a rate of usd $500/700 per bankcard, per day. If you use several cards, that can amount to quite a bit.

If you are on the receiving end and you will be depending on money from abroad, you can always open an account with paypal and get this transfered to you at a low cost. But in Argentina, you will only be able to collect that money through a Bank issuing you a check in pesos. And there is always the ole Western Union...

I have never used traveler's checks so I don't know.

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you are looking to bring money in for instance to pay for a rental, you can bring up to 10,000 US per person in without declaring on either side. find a good place on your person to carry it which is what I did and many other people have done. Of course that is the legal limit but whatever else you bring in is up to you.

Travelers checks can be cashed here, but a lot of people don't bother. I have taken out as much as 3000 pesos in one day from one account when needed and you can take dollars out of hte atms at many banks as well.

What Roberto is talking about is a cambista or exchange house and there are a lot of people who use them but you definately need to have one well recommended to you and that is trustworthy as they basically transfer your money in for you.

To open an account here you'll need your CDI and the process to get that has been changing. We are about to go again and apply as our first time was shot down because some rules were now being enforced at the branch we went to and I think this rule (that you must have a local representative who has their DNI basically vouch for you with a notarized document) and we were missing a very important paper as well. Will let you know how it goes soon as we will be reapplying next week.

hope this helps

Ken
Username: Kennyg

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If your from the U.S., keep your money in the U.S. banking system and transfer only what you need. A few years ago most Argentines lost their life savings when the government and banks confiscated money that was deposited in USD and turned into Pesos during the devaluation.

Tom Woodson
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 25

Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The ability to bring money into Argentina and the rationale for doing it may not be the same. Ten Grand is, I think I am right on this, is the threashold amount which you have to report. You are not required to report a total of $9,999 in dollars and other currencies.

Hasta Luego
Tom

Tom Woodson

Post Number: 26

Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I tend to agree with Ken.
I live in Argentina much of the time. My US bank account is as far away as 5 blocks. That's how far it is to the local Banco Patagonia where the ATM gives me pesos for a nominal fee for my US dollars which are stored in a US bank insured by the federal reserve. It is much easier to cancel an ATM card than it is to replace cash if it is lost or otherwise.
Many citizens of Argentina do not trust their money in Argentine banks. Who am I to question them.
On the other hand, it is fairly easy, at least in Buenos Aires to find a bank that will change your dollars to pesos at the current world market rate without a fee.
Citibank is one. Surprise surprise.
But several Argentina banks will do the same. I know, I have done it. The money exchange shops charge a fee and pay an amount lower than the banks will.
There are several banks on Floirda Street and elsewhere that will give you your money without a hassle at no cost.

Hasta Luego
Tom

Tom Woodson

Post Number: 27

Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

American Express will change your travelers checks for a nominal fee.
Travelers checks are not that easy to use there. I do not recommend them unless you have a need for a large amount of money on your person. If you are not using American Express travelers checks I would make sure I knew a place in Buenos Aires to change them. Amex has offices in the city.
If you make arraingements with the person you are dealing with for them to take travelers checks, then there should be no problem as long as you tell them the type of travelers checks you are using. Not all travelers checks are created equil.

Hasta luego
Tom

Tom Woodson

Post Number: 29

Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry about that last post. Tom

Visa and Mastercard are accepted in many places but a lot of the smaller shops and business do not like paying for someone to buy their goods and services. The vendor has to pay for the credit card transaction so they tend to charge more if you use one. It may not be what you were told by Visa or Mastercard about using a credit card vs cash but it is the way it is. According to the credit card companies you should be able to buy whatever you are buying for the same price. The price difference is not unique to Argentina. It happens every where.

Hasta luego
Tom

Tom Woodson

Post Number: 30

Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A minor warning.
Do not assume that just because you can do things a certain way in the city of Buenos Aires, you can do it the same everywhere in Argentina. The same goods and services and the cost and way you pay for them may not be the same elsewhere in that wonderful country.
Anything you want to do in the world of business, money exchane, purchases by credit card, etc can be done in Bs As.
Otherwise caviat emptor.

Hasta luego
Tom

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration