Wedding requirements for foreigners Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Blog | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Wedding requirements for foreigners « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Garrelfs
Username: Meg

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi there,

I'm Dutch and live in Buenos Aires since 2010. The first 2 years I had a DNI because of my job. Since october, I visit Colonia every 90 days. In November we're (I'm with Elena for 7 years now) getting married here in BA.

Does anybody know, if I need special documents that I have to request from The Netherlands?

Also, can I have a foreign witness, or do they need to be from Argentina?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Mike

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2085
Posted on Monday, April 08, 2013 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mike, I could not find too much information on this. It appears 2 mandatory witnesses must reside in Argentina while any additional optional witnesses -up to 4 more- may not.

I imagine you will need for sure your birth certificate and passport as well as any proof of marital status (single, divorced, etc.) from your country of origin. Most likely, any of these documents will need to be notarized in origin and validated by a Consulate.

Robert Gisborn
Intermediate Member
Username: Bgisborn

Post Number: 164
Posted on Monday, April 08, 2013 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mike, some considerations. Are you catholic and were you baptized in the Roman Catholic church? If you want a Church wedding you'll need your baptism certificate in addition to documents needed for a civil marriage, Not all priests are authorized to marry a foreign born person to a native of Argentina. You'll have to research this.
Now for both civil and church marriages you should have an original birth certificate that has an apostile not older than 90 days. The US does not keep national marriage records as does Argentina therefore you'll need a letter from the your state of residence declaring they have no record of your being married. This should have an apostile also. Do not translate these documents into Spanish in the US. If needed to do so you'll need a certified person in Argentina to do it. If you are Catholic I would recommend a church wedding for more reasons than I dare list. You'll need passport photos and copies of your passport but do these in Argentina. They may have particular requirements for these copies. Always, always even if you feel confident of your Spanish try to have a native Argentinian help you through these various offices. You're certification interview however will be done by someone who can speak excellent English. This will be a private interview. On documents use your full name and make sure you remember your wife's full name. Rules do vary and you may be allowed to slip on some of these requirement in other parts of the country but don't count on it.

Robert Gisborn
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, April 08, 2013 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mike, one more thing. In the Hispanic culture you marry a family when you marry a women. Don't worry about witnesses. They'll be available by the dozens.

Robert Gisborn
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 166
Posted on Monday, April 08, 2013 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mike, sorry, I made a mistake. I did not notice that you were a resident of The Netherlands. The only thing I wrote that would be of use to you would be the Apostile for documents. The consulate can only apostile documents it issues-in any country. However, if your fiance-novia- is an Argentina the above comment is valid. To add to that you probably have dozens of friends in Argentina who would gladly be witnesses. I worked and lived in the Randstat-mostly Amsterdam and Rotterdam for almost two years in the 70's. I can still read Het Nederlands but I've lost all ability to speak or understand it when it's spoken. With the exception of the weather I loved the country.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration