Immigration Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Immigration « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter Miles
Username: Bluetrader

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm thinking of buying in BA. Do I really need to get a permanent visa or is stepping over the river to uruguay once every 3 months going to work?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 397
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Might work for a while, but it is best to play by the rules. Sorry for the obvious advice.

Matt
Username: Arglife

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Unless you plan on swimming over, your passport will be stamped each time you enter and exit Argentina. If you do this several times then one day an immigration officer will take note...

Keith Mangan
Username: Kreation

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Peter;
Stepping over the river is A solution but not The solution.If you are staying for a year or two; no problem..you are entitled to come and go as you please; this is straight from immigration here..law is law as they say. However if you plan on puchasing here you can buy, you can rent; but god help you if you try and sell in the black as a foreigner; no profit brought ;after back taxes and illegal renting is brought to the fore-front.I am not trying to put you off but one step wrong here can destroy any investment.My two cents says; get your police report from your home area; along with birth certificate and any other relevant papers;come and rent for a while; some place cheap as hell and walk the streets to find an area you like and think has potential; then go find a laywer who can do what you need.Trust me it will work out better in the end....everyone likes the idea of buying in the capital at cheap prices but you have to remember you need an out...if you want a fully trustworthy service go Mike at appartmentsba...(SAINT); I have stumbled accross a couple of his clients face to face and his crowd seem to know what they are doing; and can probably help you out in every direction;nothing beats a bit of experience..even if it costs a couple of pennies:-)

good luck with all
Keith}

Arial
Intermediate Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 118

Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 6:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I do not mean to challenge Keith. I know that in Argentina you need to ask five lawyers about almost anything and see what the consensus is before you make a decision. But we bought an apartment in Bariloche and sold it without a problem--and without legal residency. Also, immigrations told me that they did not care how many times I crossed the border. There is no law that prohibits that and that I would not need to worry about it. It seems to me that we hear so many rumors about Argentina that are just not true (like that they will not allow you to enter the country if you do not have a return plane ticket is another one).

Of course, again, in Argentina, anything can change so we have that to deal with also. But if anyone knows anyone that has had a problem over crossing the border and returning, I hope you will post. I have never heard of anyone having a problem, personally, and I never did.

Matt
Username: Arglife

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Arial about one-way plane tickets, it seems to be the airlines not immigration that try to enforce this - they are over cautious and worried about getting a fine whereas I've never had immigration ask to see a return ticket (perm.residency now so no worries).

About entering and exiting the country every three months - in most countries "tax residency" is not defined the same as permanent or temporary residency. Maybe the immigration officers wont mind you coming and going but you may find that you'll become a tax resident without realising it. Maybe nothing will happen, but with an investment in the country do you really want to risk it?

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You would be better off renting for 1-2 years before you decide to buy. Sure from an investment perspective the prices of home will go up and you will lose the opportunity to cash in on equity gains but the upside is rentals in many parts of Argentina (outside of the trendier neighborhoods of Buenos Aires) is very affordable. Renting gives you an opportunity to see if you will like the country long term and avoid all the expense, paperwork and frustration of trying to gain permanent residency. During the period a trip to Uruguay or a nice bus ride over the Andes to Santiago or even a nice beach vacation in Brazil will solve the visa issue short term. Look before you leap. Plus the Argentine economy, in my opinion, is too hot and the country will not be able to sustain the growth long term. There will be an adjustment at some point which will moderate prices in the future. Tourism however can only gain if the economy slows a bit and prices decline for hotels, restaurants and other tourist attractions. Good luck. I am headed there in 2012 permanently but I took the easy road...I married an Argentine.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration