Bringing a TV to Argentina Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Blog | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Bringing a TV to Argentina « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

paul r
Username: Pr1970

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi All
Have just arrived in Argentina.My first post!

We came here with a Sony LCD TV we`ve owned in the UK for a few years and I`m having problems setting it up with cable vision. They have just an RF Aerial lead for the cable and you have to tune in the channels but whilst I can see the picture its really bad and theres no sound. I`m wondering if the TV doesnt cover the frequencies the cable TV needs. I`ve tried manually tuning the frequency but I can`t get a decent picture.

Has anyone done something similar ie bringing a TV from abroad to use here?

Thanks

Paul

Robert Gisborn
Intermediate Member
Username: Bgisborn

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Paul, if you're on cable anywhere in the world you don't select channels using tv tuner, you use the cable's own selector. The Coax input will pick up a non cable broadcast and that is what is happening in your case. When on cable you select the source input-let's say your's is Coax but I'd recommend using the AVI for simplicity and a better picture (red, white, yellow) then your tv tuner is usually set to a non existant channel-2 or 3 in the US. Your cable company should advise you on set up.
If you don't use cable make sure you have a digital box if Argentina has gone digital. If Argentina is still using analog -I'm sure the UK isn't-then youe digital will not pick up these broadcasts.

paul r

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Robert. But unforunately they dont use a cable box anymore its fed free into the house via a coax cable and you tune the tv into the frequencies supplied by the cable company.

I can see the different channel pictures but the quality is really poor and no sound so i think its a frequencies incompatiabilty with my TV.
The option maybe to goto digital but was trying to avoid the extra expense.

Simon Fawkes
Username: Expatba

Post Number: 84

Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Paul

It could be an issue with the cable, perhaps the plug on the end has a poor connection, or there's a poor connection where your cable comes off the main trunk. If you can borrow a TV that's known to be OK from a friend or neighbour you can trace whether the problem is in the cable or your TV.

If the problem is with your TV then it may be worth playing with the setup settings - e.g. PAL/NTSC, screen refresh (scan)rate etc. Whilst most modern TVs detect these automatically, sometimes they don't, and by manually setting them you may be able to get it to work.

Best of luck

Simon Fawkes
Author, The Complete Guide To Real Estate Investment in Argentina, ISBN 1257176374,http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1257176374

paul r

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Simon

I`ve checked the cable with another (local) tv and its fine.

Tried going through all the settings changing country to allow various adjustments but its only european countries. There is a manual adjustment but it doesnt allow much variation in frequencies.
I read somewhere I may need a de-modulator box to take the analogue signals and convert them to digital. Will investigate that.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration