Tourist Visa or Work Permit? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Blog | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Tourist Visa or Work Permit? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ellie botwood
Username: Ellieb

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2011 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

hi there.

I am moving to Buenos Aires in May from the UK. I will be working freelance in TV/Film Production with an Argentinian friend which I am really excited about. I have read all the posts regarding tourist visas and extending after 3 months by travelling to Uruguay. I have also been told by the Argentine Embassy in London that I can change my tourist visa to a work permit when I am there. I have also been told I can get a work permit if i am sponsored by an Argentinian company but seeing as I will be working freelance from project to project this will not be possible. If i do get the Tourist visa will i be able to open a bank account? The last thing I want is to be blacklisted from the country and sent home so I would like to do it properly! All advice would be great.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2048
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2011 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

On entering the country -with my foreign passport- about a month ago, I was told at customs (airport) that I could renew my stay at the customs office in Retiro for a small fee. Like an extension. Here is their website:

http://www.aduanaargentina.com/

About opening a bank account last time I checked a DNI was required. But maybe there's a work-around.

ellieb uk
Username: Ellieb

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for this Roberto. Do you say you are planning on renewing your visa at customs? Are you living in BA permenantly?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2051
Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am visiting and may not need to renew.

Upon arrival I asked the customs clerk about my stay. He said that as an argentine my US passport -the one I used for entering the country- allows me a max stay of 6 months. For my son, who only has US citizenship and had to pay the entrance fee, the max stay is 3 months. So the customs clerk mentioned that if an extension is required, I could visit the branch in Comodoro Py ave. and request one.

That is as much as I can say. I do not know if Customs will ask for a valid reason. He just mentioned that an extension is available for a fee.

Tom
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 555

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The last time I was there for more than 90 days I paid 100 pesos at the immigration office in Bahia Blanca to extend for an additional 90 days.

Roberto, you said your son had to pay an entrance fee. I do not recall paying a fee upon entry. It has been 4 years since I was last there. Is this something new? How much do you have to pay?

thanks amigo

Gayle
Username: Flaka

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tom,

Last year my husband and I had to pay around $132USD each which we were told we did not have to pay again either for 10 years or upon renewal of our passports.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2052
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gayle is correct... lasting 10 years.

It is called "tasa de reciprocidad" (sort of a reciprocation fee but more like a retaliation to american visas) and this time it went up to u$d 140.

Here is the news

Gayle

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto,
How did Erna's surgery go? Miss BA and hope to return some time this year. When I do I will contact your mother again for travel plans. She planned an excellent trip to Mendoza for myself and my husband last year.

Happy New Year to you and your family.

Gayle

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2053
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

HOLA Gayle :-) and happy New Year to you both!

Erna is doing fantastic. In fact, I am thinking of opening a thread about liver cancer to recommend her doctor, Rodolfo Russi and his team. Too many threads on cosmetic surgery, haha. She had an hepatectomy done on half her liver and was at home on the 5th day. Still with fatigue but that is part of the process. Thank you for asking. We are looking forward to seeing you again... provided I am still here. I know Erna is.

Gayle

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto

I am so glad your mother is recovering so well. She is in fantastic physical condition. Please send her my love. How long will you be in BA?

I think the new thread is a great idea and perhaps it can address other cancers as well.

It is cold here in NH!!!!!!!

Tom

Post Number: 556

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I guess it is only fair. I know when Argentines apply for a visa to come to the states it costs something, I don't know how much.
I am not sure if you pay that after the visa is approved or not.
I think you have to pay it in advance regardless of whether it is approved or not.

A cost of doing business and good to know. Thanks amigos and amigas

Tom

Post Number: 557

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Now that I am semi retired and have more time on my hand I am looking into becoming a concierge.
Roberto, you own a travel agency?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2054
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tom, that is my mother. She's been a travel agent for over 35 years.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2055
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gayle, thanks. I will make sure Erna knows.

I am staying here for a few more weeks and will extend my trip only if something unusual happens. I hear it is freezing in North America. Even in South Florida.

Tom

Post Number: 559

Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

We have had some cold days in Florida. Of course the mid 60's Farenheidt is cold here, at least that is the way we feel about it.

I was in the parking lot of Publix the other day. i had on long pants, a t'shirt, sweat shirt and jacket. It was a sunshiny day in the mid 60's. I saw a guy in shorts and T'shirt. I asked him if he was from up north. Sure enough, the mid 60's isn't cold to those folks.

The rest of the South is taking a real pounding thought. A lot of Auburn University fans couldn't make it to Phoenix for the National Championship game because of ice storms. That's after paying a couple of hundred dollars for their seats.
Auburn beat Oregon 22-19 in case you were wondering.

I love college football.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration