Preparing Thanksgiving Meal and a Que... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Blog | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Preparing Thanksgiving Meal and a Question « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephanie S. Walker
Username: Inhaltslos

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, November 08, 2010 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello!
I am currently living in Buenos Aires with my fiance, and we thought it would be great to prepare a traditional Thanksgiving meal for the family.
However, since Iīve been cooking here, I have been having trouble finding the right spices (I made chili, for example, and without neither chili powder nor cumin, it was sorta tough). I have shopped at Carrefour and the WalMart at DOT, asked around, made web searches...and I feel stuck because I canīt seem to find anything.
Is there a large spice market somewhere where I could get some spices that are usually found at a store in USA? I really would like nutmeg, sage, poultry seasonings, etc. Thanks!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2030
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Stephanie, try this phone number:

ProSabores: 4303-0464

Also, contact Tres Valles at 4687-3037. They may be able to guide you. And one more: try 462-3361.

Finally, the smaller "alimentos macrobioticos" shops might carry these items. Have you looked into this? Where in Bs As are you? I do not think Walmart/Carrefour are the best places for more exotic spices. Too little demand. More likely one of the health food stores (macrobioticos).

Keith Mangan
Username: Kreation

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Stephanie,

The health food shops will carry all the spices you need but you need to know the names in spanish of what you are looking for.Villa crespo has tonnes of them.I successfully managed to get all the ingriendients for a decent Garam Masala in the local shop. (I used to live there).
One word of advice is dont buy any powder marked "Curry" for some reason they think clove and cumin mixed together constitutes curry..grin.

For larger varieties go down to the Barrio Chino in Belgrano.Its cooking heaven,all the bits needed are there for definate.And its a great way to spend a saturday afternoon,nibbling at some of the street vendors bits n bobs..

Enjoy thanksgiving

K

Robert Gisborn
Intermediate Member
Username: Bgisborn

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Some tips Stephanie. Sage in Spanish is salvia. Tumeric being the basic curry spice is sometimes referred to as simply curry. Salvia in the US may be one of the many varieties of sage and the word in the US often refers to the psychodelic, and in some places illegal, form of this herb. Nutmeg is widely used in East Indian and middle eastern cooking and usually can be found in shops catering to ethnic clients. Nutmeg is also poisonous in large quantities and there may be varieties more so than others. Like some species of salvia it produces neurological symptoms. Your best bet for most of these spices is to consult a restaurant or grocery that sells to people who do Arabic or East Indian cooking. One point, many of these spices are not sold by their Spanish or English names. Allspice and thyme are usually sold under their Arabic names in the establishments I mentioned. In my experience health food stores that sell spices do so at rip off prices.

Stephanie S. Walker
Username: Inhaltslos

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks all! =D
I had some help last night, and found out that sage and nutmeg are here but have different names. Geez! Haha! I felt a bit stupid (ok, a LOT stupid), but I was nosing around the spice cupboard here about 2 weeks ago and I guess I missed those items.
Thanks so much for all your advice...Barrio Chino isnīt too far from me (I am in Vicente Lopez), and I was at Villa Crespo just the other day. I definitely need to go back and really check out what is offered in the cooking department. I also was looking for food coloring the night before Halloween, which is definitely last-minute, but I bet I can find some in a specialty store as well.

Robert Gisborn
Intermediate Member
Username: Bgisborn

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was wondering because allspice (pimiento dulce) should be available throughout Latin American groceries.

Keith Mangan
Username: Kreation

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 3:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Food colouring along with cake molds and bun-cases(tea-cakes/Fairy cakes/Muffin) can be found in the party shops,Cotillion shops Im not sure about that spelling.. ..They are the ones with the costumes in the window..

Theres one on the corner of Scalabrini Ortiz and Corrientes,about three doors down from the large cafe on scalabrini if your back in the area..But Im sure theres some in Vincente Lopez too.
best of luck..

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration