Bringing electronics to Argentina Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Blog | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Bringing electronics to Argentina « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

kylie westwood
Username: Mikalos

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My husband and I are moving to Argentina shortly. We have both have laptops, as well as a few external hard-drives, and a small Flip video camera. Does anyone know if we have to pay any kind of tax or fee when we arrive into the country? They are all clearly used, and are just for our own personal use.

Thanks for any advice.

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've never had any trouble and we brought in a small plasma tv as well but it always depends upon who you get when you come through. Are you coming on tourist visas or on a regular visa?

Laura Zurro
ebook Moving to and Living in Argentina
http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com

kylie westwood

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My husband is an Argentine citizen (although hasn't lived there for 18 years), and I am coming in on a permanent resident visa.

Robert Gisborn
Username: Bgisborn

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, there certainly is an incentive to bring electronics into Argentina. The 16 gig ipad cost $US200. more in Argentina than the US and the cost of netbook is equal to that of a good lap top in the US. Customs anywhere can always be a problem and it would be incorrect to single out Argentine customs. I haven't investigated the area first hand but the Brazilian and Bolivia border appears to offer many opportunities. I wouldn't use Paraguay. My take is that the Brazilian border has a lot of thorny shrubs (is that correct?) so it appears Bolivia is the best. Using a truck is a bit obvious and at the very least may expose you to embarrassing questions. My guess is a crossing north of Salta. Remember, ipads have a glass screen so pack them well.
Anyway, I hear Salta is a wonderful place for a tourist. I hope someday to visit it.

kylie westwood

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Robert, your post doesn't make much sense to me, or at least doesn't really apply to our situation. Navigating various borders sounds like a ridiculous hassle, not to mention decidedly dodgy, for just bringing personal effects. I think you might have some crossed wires.

Robert Gisborn
Username: Bgisborn

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kylie, come to think of it you're right. Sea containers would be far more practical. I'm guessing Bahia Blanca might be the best. It's a city I'd love to visit. Have you been there?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2016
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Robert... here goes one warning. NO TROLLING! This forum has been set up for the sole purpose of helping others. If you do not have the information requested or do not understand the user's inquiry it is best to inquire further or not participate. And straying from the topic is definitely a bad idea.

Kylie, if this is a permament move I imagine you must have visited your nearest argentine consulate? If so, what did they say? I am pretty sure a move like yours involves transfer of property including house/car with no import duties applied. House meaning anything inside. With the proper paperwork you should be ok. But talk to the consulate because a "change of residence" may be needed, specially for your husband, documented on his DNI.-

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Robert. I started a thread about Bahia Blanca so this thread does not get off topic. I have been there many times and I love the city.

(Message edited by admin on October 26, 2010)

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2017
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you, Bill.

Tom
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 524

Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i have taken electronics, American stuff, A laptop or table top needs a heavy duty converter.
but it works
I love argentina
Don't cry for me Argentina, I think the lady said

kylie westwood

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 5:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the replies people. My husband and I are moving to Argentina but we are only taking with us what we can carry on the plane (i.e not much), so no shipping of stuff etc. I don't think I could handle that much organisation - travelling light is much less stress. :o)

kylie westwood

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just thought I would let people know that everything was fine arriving into Argentina. Not so much as a question asked!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2032
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you for following up, Kylie.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration